Trick or treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It is a reasonable assumption to make.

And still none of your business. It's not your place to initiate that discussion with someone else's child.
What is the difference between that and a 91-0 loss at football?

That again? Answered in post #26.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
And still none of your business. It's not your place to initiate that discussion with someone else's child.
Why? No explanation has been given. This is an opinion that has been repeated as fact without actually rationalizing this opinion.

That again? Answered in post #26.
And a poor answer. Life is not fair, like sports. People get singled out, people face cruel situations, why can't kids learn this? What people do not face enough is the truth being told to them, and maybe this is will harden the kids and educate them, like a trashing in a sports match.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why? No explanation has been given. This is an opinion that has been repeated as fact without actually rationalizing this opinion.

And a poor answer. Life is not fair, like sports. People get singled out, people face cruel situations, why can't kids learn this? What people do not face enough is the truth being told to them, and maybe this is will harden the kids and educate them, like a trashing in a sports match.
Clearly, we disagree fundamentally on many things. I'll leave it at that.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Taking the approach that one would need to teach children that life isn't fair in a way that intentionally shames them and humiliates them only teaches that the person doing the teaching isn't the kind of person the children would or should want anything to do with. It also teaches acceptance of the status quo and the idea that one should use the same methods one was shamed with against the opposition in a harsher manner. 'Hardening' children in this manner creates personality disorders, not healthy adults.

And saying 'life isn't fair' as an argumentative response is facetious. It might be true, but it doesn't have to be. We should be trying to change it as much as possible, and we should be trying to teach that change is possible. The world being cruel is the situation, not an answer to why you should teach cruelty to continue that situation.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why? No explanation has been given.

There's a simple one - if they are under 18 (or whatever the age of legal majority in the area) and you (generic, not you personally) are not their parent or guardian, then you are not responsible for their care. In fact, your right to take part in their care is severely limited by law, and there are very few choices you get to make about what is best for them.

Now, perhaps you disagree with the law - that discussion is beyond the purview of these boards. But I think you seem to be very close to saying, "I know what is right for someone else's kid, and reserve the right to impose that when I personally feel it is appropriate." I think you'll find very few folks agreeing with that position.

And a poor answer. Life is not fair, like sports. People get singled out, people face cruel situations, why can't kids learn this?

You misunderstand. It isn't that kids cannot learn it. It is that you (or other random strangers) don't have the right to manage their education.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, we have seen jabs at posters from Umbran concerning their intelligence and education, and calling them trolls. We have also seen condescending and adversarial attitude from him.

Interesting.

A suggestion: Next time you have a problem with someone (moderator or otherwise) don't go dragging it around thread-to-thread. Take a moment to have a side conversation (we have a very nice Private Message system for it), to see if you can work out your differences, like mature adults.

And we tend to fight fire with fire.

And that is where you are making your biggest error. If you'd care to learn why, do PM me, and we can discuss it.

Whether you care to discuss it privately or not, the public spectacle ends here.

Kramodlog

There's a simple one - if they are under 18 (or whatever the age of legal majority in the area) and you (generic, not you personally) are not their parent or guardian, then you are not responsible for their care. In fact, your right to take part in their care is severely limited by law, and there are very few choices you get to make about what is best for them.
Are you saying that I cannot legally say anything to an individual that is under 18 years old in regards to his or her health?

Now, perhaps you disagree with the law
There is a law about giving information on Halloween?

- that discussion is beyond the purview of these boards.
Why?

But I think you seem to be very close to saying, "I know what is right for someone else's kid, and reserve the right to impose that when I personally feel it is appropriate." I think you'll find very few folks agreeing with that position.
A mind reader, are you? Well no, that is not it. Try something else.

You misunderstand.
No, it would seem roles are reversed.

It isn't that kids cannot learn it. It is that you (or other random strangers) don't have the right to manage their education.
Why? Which right is this? Do you want to return to a conversation about rights? You mention rights a few times in your post. Cause that thread was closed.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

And saying 'life isn't fair' as an argumentative response is facetious. It might be true, but it doesn't have to be. We should be trying to change it as much as possible, and we should be trying to teach that change is possible. The world being cruel is the situation, not an answer to why you should teach cruelty to continue that situation.
So, you think it is ok for that woman to teach kids about healthy dieting during Halloween? Cause dietery change is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads