Ask an OTTer

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. What you said is the opposite of what I said. You quoted me as saying the opposite of what I said and then used it to say I was saying something opposite of Janx, when what I was saying was parallel to it. A different subject. Perspective. Type mismatch.
Nope.

I don't what derp means non-sarcastically, so I can't even parse that.
Then sadly, your fusion powered sarcasm detector is not​ powerful enough.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
You are the exact type of person I would hate in real life.
Okay? I think I'm okay with that.
I can't stand people that don't have the balls to talk to me first about an issue before going to someone else.
It's not about balls. If I see people knocking stuff from a shelf onto the ground, I'm not going to try to tell them to knock it off. I'm going to let the people that run the store take care of it however they want to.
Don't take this as a personal attack against you, it's just the way I feel in general about anyone that does that sort of thing. Part of it is just military culture. You always handle things at the lowest level possible. When issues escalate up the chain, things get stupid real quick. But more importantly, I just consider it disrespectful to go to a boss or cop or other authority figure (especially since some instances could affect a person's life/career) without at least attempting to address it with them first.
I agree, depending on the circumstances. If the people don't seem receptive, or if the people are out of control, or if it's understood that the protocol is that I shouldn't be trying to take care of things, or etc. etc. etc., then I'm not going to deal with it myself.

On the other hand, I do prefer to work things out via dialogue and civil discussion, as I've indicated -twice- in this thread. So if we can do that, either in real life or on the internet, then I'm down.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I had my share of stalkers on the WotC boards with WotC mods closing their eyes on the matter. I am weary of harassment by reporting and I hope that because you are chummy with mods it will not be the case here. Althought I have my doubts.
I don't plan to harass you. I also don't plan to change my behavior unless a mod asks me to.

Janx

Hero
I would note that jonesy and i are not talking about the same thing. I dont goto other rpg forums.

So my recommendation was really to not bring bad mojo from one thread to the next.

If somebodys dogging you because of who you are somewhere else, thats badwrong of them.

Any trouble a post you do should be isolated to that thread.

Each thread should try to start over unless you eatablish a serial pattern of bad posting

Thats my view

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Zombie_Babies said:
And since we can come off as sort of ... abrasive even though that's not the intent, well, maybe it's a decent idea to give any interested Enworlders the opportunity to ask any questions about us they may have. So here's a thread for that if there's anyone interested.
Taking this opening post as offered, I asked a question. Although no one answered my question directly, the ongoing back-and-forth throughout this thread has essentially answered it indirectly.

And for the record: I don't post on the WotC or CM boards, even under a different name. So all I know about anyone here is what I know from what and how they post here, good or bad.

Bullgrit

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That is pretty much how I am in real life. Co-workers call me weird.

Personal observation: You don't come across as weird. To be perfectly honest, to me, you come across more as crass and insensitive.

People need to understand that being playful or silly is not trolling or disrespectful.

No, they don't *need* to. That may sound like a nitpick, but it might be an important point in terms of mindset. There are thousands of EN World users, and our basic operation style has worked for over a decade. The arrival of a few folks from the WotC boards does not create a "need" or onus for others to change how they approach things.

I understand that a mod button gives a sense of entitlement that people do not have in real life, suddenly they have the right to be offended and have "justice".

I'm sorry you see it that way. To us, it is merely a valuable tool in creating a particular atmosphere.

Except people shouldn't expect to be able to standardize people according to their preferences.

Yes, but that means you don't get to standardize EN Worlders into people who accept your preferred style, either.

If people find me abrasive, they can ignore me and I shouldn't be harassed with people reporting anything they do not like.

That logic works if you only cheese off a couple of specific people. And, in fact, if only a couple of specific people report your posts, then we usually tell them to go use the ignore list. But, if we get reports from lots of different people, then it becomes more an issue that your style doesn't fit in with the rest of the place.

I would note that jonesy and i are not talking about the same thing. I dont goto other rpg forums.

So my recommendation was really to not bring bad mojo from one thread to the next.

If somebodys dogging you because of who you are somewhere else, thats badwrong of them.

Any trouble a post you do should be isolated to that thread.

Each thread should try to start over unless you eatablish a serial pattern of bad posting

Thats my view
Yup, which is what I said, but Jonsey thought you said something else. I'm totally with you on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads