Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
(start of round 2?)

The disappearance of the middle Hobgoblin concerns Bartleby greatly, who decides to break cover and move to intercept them. He's not happy with this choice, but it might serve as a sufficient distraction. He raises his shield, and hustles towards the large boulder, making a complete move of 50 feet. He hopes his short broad stature is slightly confusing, and perhaps reminiscent of a young hobgobber.

As he moves, his voice rises up, "Yik tikki tim tak! Tokka yik tik tam-tam."

[sblock="translated from goblinese"]"I've finally got away from my captors. Be sure not to shoot my brother!"[/sblock]

Li Shenron

Legend
Sulannus keeps paving the way with beams of ice, painting little white streaks across the green, green grass!

(17 to hit for 3 damage)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4311140/

(start of round 2?)

The disappearance of the middle Hobgoblin concerns Bartleby greatly, who decides to break cover and move to intercept them. He's not happy with this choice, but it might serve as a sufficient distraction. He raises his shield, and hustles towards the large boulder, making a complete move of 50 feet. He hopes his short broad stature is slightly confusing, and perhaps reminiscent of a young hobgobber.

[sblock="translated from goblinese"]"I've finally got away from my captors. Be sure not to shoot my brother!"[/sblock]

Tock still has its turn for this round, so I'll "buffer" your actions until [MENTION=6749529]Jimmy Disco T[/MENTION] makes his decision.

But [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] you can roll in advance a Charisma(Deception) check to see if you pull through your trick to pose as a Hobgoblin.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Tock moves to a new position at the edge of the trees while reloading his crossbow; after scanning the battlefield for a moment he takes aim at the injured Hobgoblin.

2d20 take lowest +3 = 12

(assuming still at long range, and no advantage for surprise)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4311905/

With the benefit of surprise lost and their foes retreating into cover, Tock wonders if it would be better to press the attack in melee...

(OOC: What's the distance from Tock to the nearest Hobgoblin? Am I right in thinking I can move 30ft and charge 15ft in the same turn (total 45ft), swapping from crossbow to halberd as part of my move action?)

Li Shenron

Legend
Tock moves to a new position at the edge of the trees while reloading his crossbow; after scanning the battlefield for a moment he takes aim at the injured Hobgoblin.

2d20 take lowest +3 = 12

(assuming still at long range, and no advantage for surprise)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4311905/

With the benefit of surprise lost and their foes retreating into cover, Tock wonders if it would be better to press the attack in melee...

(OOC: What's the distance from Tock to the nearest Hobgoblin? Am I right in thinking I can move 30ft and charge 15ft in the same turn (total 45ft), swapping from crossbow to halberd as part of my move action?)

Tock's shot misses the target and the bolt cracks against the rock.

The clearing around the cave entrance is a half-circle of radius 100ft, so that's the approximate distance you have to cover from the edge of the trees to the cave entrance.

[Swapping weapons doesn't cost you any actions in 5e, unless you're in a special circumstance]

(start of round 2?)

Bartleby is now about half way between the trees and the cave entrance. As he runs towards the hobgoblin guards, they point towards him as if ready to shoot, but then hesitate for a split second as if puzzled and undecided...

Sulannus keeps paving the way with beams of ice, painting little white streaks across the green, green grass!

(17 to hit for 3 damage)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4311140/

Sulannus 's Ray of Frost connects with the left hobgoblin, who instinctively reacts by shooting an arrow back at her, but misses again, then moves into the cave out of sight.

The right hobgoblin tries to shoot at Tock but has no luck either. He keeps his position.

You now hear the sound of a loud bell coming from inside the cave.

wedgeski

Adventurer
"Ah, to hell with it then!"

Rejik explodes from the undergrowth, head down, shield up, pounding across the clearing to close the gap as quickly as he can.

OOC: Round 2 Action: Rejik uses the Hustle action to double his move (now 50 feet) for this round, closing half the distance and pulling his warhammer out as he goes.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Aeiyan eases out from behind cover, nocks another arrow, and draws and looses it at the hobgoblin on the left. That's a 21 to hit for 8 damage (assuming his hidden condition gives advantage):

1d20+4;1d20+4;1d8+3 --> [13,4] = (17)
1d20+4;1d20+4;1d8+3 --> [17,4] = (21)
1d20+4;1d20+4;1d8+3 --> [5,3] = (8)
Link http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4313031/
BBCode 1d20+4=17, 1d20+4=21, 1d8+3=8

In an effort to continue supporting Bartleby's deceits, he shouts, "One of them got away!" -- then moves his speed (35 feet) toward the enemy. He pulls out another arrow as he moves, but does not nock it yet.

(Aeiyan was farther than 100 feet from the hobgoblins, because he was hiding in the woods behind the Dancing Lights. I'm sure this takes him out into the open, but I don't know how far. Please pick a likely number.)

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Aeiyan's arrow hit the hobgoblin on the right* square in the groin, at a spot not protected by its ring mail armor.

[*since the one on the left just retreated into the cave, there is only one hobgoblin left visible at the boulders, so I just assumed you would target that]

In an effort to continue supporting Bartleby's deceits, he shouts, "One of them got away!" -- then moves his speed (35 feet) toward the enemy. He pulls out another arrow as he moves, but does not nock it yet.

(Aeiyan was farther than 100 feet from the hobgoblins, because he was hiding in the woods behind the Dancing Lights. I'm sure this takes him out into the open, but I don't know how far. Please pick a likely number.)

You are 2 move actions from the boulders ;)

Bartleby and Reijik are also running or charing towards the hobgoblins, and they are too at 2 move actions left to get there.

Tock and Sulannus are still among the trees, let's say 3 move actions from the cave entrance.

[Basically the whole charge is going to take an extra move from the Dwarf compared to all the others]

I checked the rules for the Charge action, and [MENTION=6749529]Jimmy Disco T[/MENTION] is right IMO. It's a regular action, so before (or after) the Charge action, a move at normal speed is possible. The Charge action itself is a move+attack at the end, but the move must be minimum 10ft and maximum half your speed.

But... the boulders basically cover the lower bottom of the cave entrance itself, and I figure them being between 4-5ft high, so I don't think charging directly against the hobgoblins is possible. Although, if you really want to (since you have a reach weapon), and if the last hobgoblin is still there and alive ;) we can figure out how to represent such stunt.

For everybody, the boulders have been clearly put there for protection, both to provide cover and to block or at least slow down potential threats. I can anticipate that it will cost you a move to pass to the other side of the boulders, but the brave can attempt a jumping (Strength/Athletics) or quick-climbing (Dexterity/Acrobatics) to instantly get on top (failing the check equals wasting a move action or something similar).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases