What's the best and worst D&D book you own from any edition?

NotZenon

Explorer
ah yes, the stronghold builders guidebook. that was a HUGE waste of money! To me the arms and equipment guide was right up there as well.

Jhaelen

First Post
One book that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is Weapons of Legacy (3.5E book).

I really wanted to like that book as I think the concept of a cool weapon, with an interesting backstory, that gets better as you go up in levels is a really good one. However, the mechanics behind them really didn't work.
Yup, that was an underrated book. I got some good use out of it, but only after reverse-engineering the math and changing cost to xp and gold, only. I created one item of legacy for each of my players plus a couple of extras for powerful npcs. Most players were pretty happy to have them, especially the one with the whip-master fighter who received the 'whip of concordant opposition' (created from the intertwined skin of a demon, a devil, an archon and an angel) that allowed him to bypass all kinds of damage reduction.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Worst: Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. Just. Dreck. Completely useless for any practical purposes for building a stronghold for your character in an actual campaign context.
I actually liked that one. Not that it was particularly well edited, but I thought it laid a sound foundation, so to speak. I've used it before.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I actually liked that one. Not that it was particularly well edited, but I thought it laid a sound foundation, so to speak. I've used it before.

Well, perhaps I was just using it wrong, or it wasn't well suited to our campaign. Needless to say, I didn't get much use out of it. I'll also cast a vote for Hero Builders Guide as a candidate for worst as well.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
One book that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is Weapons of Legacy (3.5E book).

I really wanted to like that book as I think the concept of a cool weapon, with an interesting backstory, that gets better as you go up in levels is a really good one. However, the mechanics behind them really didn't work.

I mean, who wants a weapon that, while being really cool, makes you have worse saves, less hit points, and less effective at wielding all other weapons. Balancing cool weapon abilities by reducing the PC's saves, hit points and BAB was just not a good idea as it did not encourage people to want a Weapon of Legacy.

I tried hard to use this book in one of my campaigns, but gave up in the end because it just work well as written. I do hope someone has another crack at the evolving weapon concept in 5E though.

I didn't buy this one since I checked it out at my local library or borrowed a friend's copy (not sure which) and decided it just wasn't workable. This is, if you ask me, what over-emphasis on balance gets you - mechanics that nobody really wants to use or houserules anyway. I thought the idea of buying a feat to activate the next level of power for the weapon was a much better way to go than also imposing penalties to attacks, saves, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
THE BEST

- BECMI: I have a soft spot for the Mentzer Red Box because I started there. Great introduction to the game; great Elmore illustrations.
My favourite BECMI adventure is Test of the Warlords (followed by other classics: the Isle of Dread, Master of the Desert Nomads, Red Arrow Black Shield, Sabre River...)
I have to mention the fantastic Gazetteers (great setting products!), in particular the first one about the Grand Duchy of Karameikos (it set the bar) and the third about the Principalities of Glantri (simply the best in an outstanding series).

-AD&D 1e/2e: I instantly fell in love with the setting boxed sets, in particular Dark Sun, Ravenloft (the revised, red box), and Planescape.

-D&D 3/3.5: first of all, I have to mention the Age of Worms and Savage Tide Adventure Paths found in Dungeon Magazine (Paizo era). Best campaigns ever.
I am a supporter of the Tome of Battle/Book of the Nine Swords - it made fighter-types MUCH more appealing.
As a setting book, the Forgotten Realms sourcebook is really well done.

-Pathfinder: I love Paizo for their Adventure Paths. Reign of Winter is my favorite, followed by Curse of the Crimson Throne, Kingmaker, Skulls & Shackles, Strange Aeons and Shattered Star.

-13th Age: the system-seller here is Eyes of the Stone Thief, the best megadungeon ever!

- D&D 5e: the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide and Monster Manual are outstanding, must-have works.
I also consider Tomb of Annihilation a modern classic.

THE WORST

The worst D&D product I ever handled, to the point I wanted to dispose of it, was 3rd edition Book of Exalted Deeds. An abysmal, almost offensive rendition of the forces of Goodness.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Why? Do you think it's broken to give Raise Thread to 1st-level posters? :)
Yes, totally OP. If a first-level thread dies, just roll up a new one!

(I was going to say "that was good enough for us back in the day!" But, back in the day, we dialed up a BBS on a 300 baud acoustic modem.... and were greatful we could do it!!!)

#getoffmylawn

Remove ads