Songs that changed for you after you learned the lyrics

Jhaelen

First Post
Onw example would be Kristofer Astrom - How can you live for yourself. Not knowing the title I didn't pay much attention to the song at first until I became aware of the 'I hope you burn in hell' chorus. I love songs which are deceptive like this. There's also a couple of songs from Aereogramme that sound so sweet (at least in the beginning) but are actually full of anger and hate.

Kate Bush is a candidate with several songs I loved as a kid that took on a whole different meaning when I rediscovered her after I was out of school. She always has awesome lyrics.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Hmm ... I don't think I can really come up with an example. It's cuz these are the types of songs I really enjoy. Like, I get it right away cuz it's stuff I look for and not terribly uncommon with some of the styles I prefer. I like happy, peppy tunes with dark lyrics. It's fun. Here's one that came out pretty recently:

[video=youtube;0SMzKK2CunI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMzKK2CunI[/video]

Louie, Louie. The first time I heard it, thought it was just a fun song. Then I took the 45 and played it at 33, and ... wow. Just, wow. I had no idea.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
"Born in the USA" (actually, about half Springsteen's songs qualify).

I suspect that's a pretty common one. Some groups clearly didn't understand it back around 1984. I wasn't very interested in it, musically, and so didn't really pay any attention to the lyrics (I preferred Springsteen from several years earlier). It was Stanley Clarke's cover of it in 1985 that grabbed my interest and that's when I actually noticed the lyrics in the verses. At that point, the narrative of the song became a lot more interesting and I started to cotton on to what Springsteen was saying with the song.

Dioltach

Legend
I suspect that's a pretty common one. Some groups clearly didn't understand it back around 1984. I wasn't very interested in it, musically, and so didn't really pay any attention to the lyrics (I preferred Springsteen from several years earlier). It was Stanley Clarke's cover of it in 1985 that grabbed my interest and that's when I actually noticed the lyrics in the verses. At that point, the narrative of the song became a lot more interesting and I started to cotton on to what Springsteen was saying with the song.

Springsteen has released an accoustic (original) version of the song, very much in the style of Nebraska, which wouldn't have confused anyone for a second (i.e. like the Reagan election campaign was confused by the famous version).

Remove ads