A Keep on the Borderlands: Consolidation

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah led his small group forwards in silence and without hesitation. Not only had he come out the same way just a day before, but it was important to show the dwarves he was not afraid. It would only take a little mistake for them to back out. And then, I can't fight them all myself, so the lady will be lost...

As before, Sh'aah climbs across first to secure the rope. As his feet touch the solid rock of the cellar he stands still in the pitch black, listening for the tell-tale clinks and clanks of the habitually armoured dwarves. Not hearing any after a minute, he secure the rope to the same point as last time and gives a low whistle to signal the copper dwarves.

Knowing their climb will be slow, and the group very vulnerable until at least one had crossed to the way station side, Sh'aah crept forward a few dozen yards. There he crouched down against the cellar wall, double axe resting on his knees, and kept his silence. Partly he wanted to know what was happening above, and partly he wanted any advance warning of a counter attack.

jkason

First Post
Bastian frowns.

"You'll have to take me out at the knees before I let you walk through those gates alone, milady," Bastian whispers in his liege's ear. "But since I like my knees, maybe you've a better way to get him out here?"

Kaodi

Hero
Comoray stays by the side of Menexes. Subterfuge is not the Brother's strong suit, but for his own part in this to be believable it must appear that he has found more favour among the dwarves than with Arcata. Best not to appear too attached.

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata feels her stomach drop as she realizes the predicament they're in. How had they not seen this coming? How to draw the defenders out now, when they'd made a perfectly reasonable request?

She looks at Bastian, her eyes wide. It isn't hard for him to see that her panic is entirely unfeigned at the moment.

"Follow my lead," she whispers.

Then she turns and steps towards Menaxes.

"This isn't going to end well for you," she tells the dwarf leader...quickly, silently, mouthing the same words to him that she'd said to Bastian. "Change your mind now, and I'll look past this. We can still be allies. Together we'll be strong enough to resist him!"

What she had was not a plan. A plan was worked out in advance, carefully and meticulously crafted to encompass the variables and executed. What she had was a crazy idea...but it just might work. At the very least, it should give the other team an adequete distraction.

jkason

First Post
Bastian's frown deepens, but he decides that might be just what's called for. He clanks his way up behind Arcata, hand obviously hovering over the pommel of his greatsword. He says nothing for now, merely playing the part of the loyal guard dog, ready to bite.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Menexes gives the tiniest of inflections to indicate that he has understood.

"I am dwarf," he says loudly to Arcata. "My loyalty to other dwarves lies, not human trouble-makers." He looks up to the battlements. "I will bring her in," he calls to Schattenstein. "There are matters I would with you discuss."
There is another pause.

"Very well," comes the reply. "You and the woman, only." The wicket in the waystation gates opens slightly. Menexes glances at Bastian and Arcata, waiting for their next move. Meanwhile, under the gatehouse, Sh'aah and his squad are waiting in position...

Axel

First Post
Crouched in the dark, Sh'aah is pleased to see the Dwarves make the crossing with relative ease. Grunting in approval, he turns and begins stalking toward the way out.

ooc: I don't have Sh'aah's stealth modifier with me (on the phone). The group is likely to be limited by the dwarves though, since he gets some epic bonus for being in favoured terrain.

Shayuri

First Post
"Bastian, now!" Arcata suddenly cried out, and with a wave of her hand summoned a haze of twinkling lights that spread into the eyes of the dwarves near them. She turned and started to flee...as if making a daring escape from suddenly blinded dwarves!

And of course, faced with the prospect of losing their prey...the Cobalt Dwarves might be provoked to give chase, right into the waiting arms of her allies.

It was all or nothing time.

(OOC - Dancing Lights. That workhorse spell that it is. :))

Kaodi

Hero
Brother Comoray's eyes widened just a bit and a frown creased his face. That was about the extent of the show that he had in him. Lady Arcata was making her move, but he had to stand still long enough to see if her gambit would work before charging into the fray.

jkason

First Post
[sblock=ooc]ARgh. Sorry. i thought I had replied here. :([/sblock]

Finally understanding, Bastian grins. He makes an overly dramatic show of shoving one of the dwarves out of the way as he pulls his broadsword and aids in Arcata's "escape." There is far more clanking of armor than actual impact to any of his blows, but the louder the show, he hoped, the more likely the cobalts would buy it.

Remove ads