A Keep on the Borderlands: Consolidation

Shayuri

First Post
Arcata nodded.

"We will help, as much as we can. I'm not much with weapons, but I can throw a few spells their way. Put me with your archers. Somewhere I can see the field."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kupferbart flashes a grin at Bastian.

"I like your attitude sir," he says. "Ma'am, if you and your companions would care to follow me." He heads towards a rough cut stairway in the rock wall, that leads to a small chamber. Through a narrow crack in the rock wall it overlooks the top of the hidden trail and the entrance to the dwarf hideout.

Even as the group watches, Schattenstein and ten of his blue dwarves arrive at the stones that mark the entrance to the hideout. The Cobalt Dwarf stops, fingers his blue stone for a moment.

"Brother dwarves," he calls out. "I address you in the Common tongue so the humans you have with you can understand. Hand over the human woman to me. She is nothing to you, and I have no wish to shed your blood, but I will if I have to. You have until the moon reaches that outcropping," he gestures with his arm to a rock pillar behind him. Given the current position of the moon this is about five minutes.

"He is a dwarf without honour, to make such demands," say Kupferbart.

Shayuri

First Post
"Assuming he's a dwarf at all," Arcata says with a frown, eying how he handled that amulet. "There's spells that could conceal his true nature...or other spells that could take his mind from him. His fixation on that amulet is..."

She tapped her chin, just below her bottom lip, face set in thought.

"We should try to get that amulet away from him. More even than killing him. Dead, he's useless, but alive and without that object, he might tell us a great deal about the powers that are conspiring against these lands."

Kaodi

Hero
"I am not not sure I would count on that, Lady Arcata," says Brother Comoray with a grimace. "With dark powers at work there are often things more terrible than pain or death." Giving a quick check over to make sure his gear has all been properly fastened, he then draws his sword and intones, "May the Lady Magnificient smile upon us in the battle hence. Always do we seek her glory."

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"I don't care if he's a dwarf. Or a demon lord of the Nether Realm, for that matter. No one lays claim to 'the human woman' without her consent unless and until he manages to rip my heart out of my chest. I am a Sangue; my blood guards every last drop of hers," Bastian growls, hands gripping his broadsword.

He takes a breath, adding in a calmer tone, "I'm not promising anyone lives, milady, but I'll do what I can. For now, it seems clear there's nothing worth negotiating for. Kupferbart, you as ready as I am to show this sky-colored whatever-he-is what we think of him?"

Axel

First Post
Sh'aah crouched and surveyed the opposing force while the others talked. The strange blue dwarf and his bodyguards were obvious. What he watched for were skirmishers on the flanks - given the main force location they could easily be at or through the opening by now.

Dr Simon

Explorer
"Aye," says Kupferbart. He utters some words in dwarven, and a volley of crossbow bolts lands just in front of Schattenstein. "A warning, Cobalt Dwarf," he calls out. "Your answer is no."

Sh'aah can see no sign of anyone attempting a flank - it seems that all of Schattensteins small force is concentrated in the narrow defile before the dwarf sanctuary. But even as he scans the steep pine-covered slopes, something like a mist seems to emerge from them, coalescing into dark serpentine forms that fly through the air, borne aloft by a soft blue glow. Schattenstein's hand is on his blue amulet.

The spirit snake things suddenly rush forwards towards the sancturay entrance. From below come cries of alarm, one of them cut off suddenly.

Axel

First Post
Thinking that the blue dwarves were about to waltz into the first chamber unopposed after that particular piece of magic, Sh'aah gives a yelp of alarm and disappears back down the staircase. Double axe held firmly and more than ready to fight magical made-up spirit things.

jkason

First Post
Bastian Sangue, human cavalier

"This is all for nothing if they get you," Bastian says to the Lady Arcata. "I'll not say no to any magics you can use against them, but promise me you stay back and run if necessary. Stupid heroics are for my kind, not yours."

He gives a dry chuckle as he adds. "We need your kind for all the decrees of valor after we get our fool heads lopped off." With a wink, he charges after the other two down toward the mess, broadsword held high.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases