The Night of the Doctor - new mini Doctor Who episode.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So how long was Hurt the Doctor? Because Matt Smith didn't age a day in 300 years; Time Lords clearly age incredibly slowly. But John Hurt goes from youngish to elderly. He must have been around for a long, long time.

Subjective time, at least. He is in the middle of a Time War, after all. By the mini-episode, it apparently threatened not just to be destructive, not just to kill everyone, but to actually destroy the Universe. Who knows how many loops he lived how many times over, how many knots in the time-space continuum he had to traverse?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Apparently the 4th largest city in the US may be getting it, but not in all/most theatres. I have no clue what theatres are getting it, as I hadn't seen anything except the specific ads on the wall in my local theatres for the 25th.

It completely boggles me that no theater in the Boston area has it for the original airing, and only a couple for the following days.

Unfortunately for me, I may have to wait to see it - my wife is having surgery on the 22nd, and she most certainly has dibs on the TV while recovering. Thank goodness for DVRs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hence why I was asking odd questions about it, as your statement, and the date on my tickets don't match (and there wasn't a choice of dates).

Here's a linky (not trying to spam, this is simply what was advertised in the theatre):
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor

I think I smell a clue from this other article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/24/ny-ncm-fathom-dr-who-idUSnBw246028a+100+BSW20131024

"Eleven U.S. Cities to Join First Global Simulcast on November 23
Expanding to over 300 Cinemas for Only One Night
with NCM Fathom Events on November 25"

Apparently the 4th largest city in the US may be getting it, but not in all/most theatres. I have no clue what theatres are getting it, as I hadn't seen anything except the specific ads on the wall in my local theatres for the 25th.

No - the cinema stuff is just icing. It's a TV episode being simulcast worldwide on the 23rd. Seeing it in the cinema is a bonus.

Janx

Hero
It completely boggles me that no theater in the Boston area has it for the original airing, and only a couple for the following days.

Unfortunately for me, I may have to wait to see it - my wife is having surgery on the 22nd, and she most certainly has dibs on the TV while recovering. Thank goodness for DVRs.

Well good luck on her surgery and spouse-sitting. I've had my own batch of that last week.

Hope you can make it to the later viewing at least.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well good luck on her surgery and spouse-sitting. I've had my own batch of that last week.

Thank you.

One upshot of this is that, for the next couple of months, she's not supposed to be doing much. Which means a lot of time with the TV. Which means finding new shows to watch. Which means she's actually asked for me to show her some Doctor Who (hooray Nextflix and On Demand!). She's a sci-fi and fantasy fan, but she didn't grow up on the old Who like I did, so the new show held no particular draw for her. I may show her the start of Eccleston's run tonight or tomorrow night, even.

Hope you can make it to the later viewing at least.

I'll catch it on my TiVo, and probably watch it as some point when she's napping :)

MarkB

Legend
So how long was Hurt the Doctor? Because Matt Smith didn't age a day in 300 years; Time Lords clearly age incredibly slowly. But John Hurt goes from youngish to elderly. He must have been around for a long, long time.

I'm not sure if Time Lords even age in that sense. Stress, as suggested, seems more likely, but my own guess is that, for the Doctor, there's nothing quite so withering as guilt.

EDIT: Then again, to speculate more wildly, let's remember that this isn't just any old regeneration - this one was engineered, for a specific purpose. Maybe the Sisterhood gave it built-in obsolescence, so that the War Doctor would not outlive the war.

Thank you.

One upshot of this is that, for the next couple of months, she's not supposed to be doing much. Which means a lot of time with the TV. Which means finding new shows to watch. Which means she's actually asked for me to show her some Doctor Who (hooray Nextflix and On Demand!). She's a sci-fi and fantasy fan, but she didn't grow up on the old Who like I did, so the new show held no particular draw for her. I may show her the start of Eccleston's run tonight or tomorrow night, even.

I'll catch it on my TiVo, and probably watch it as some point when she's napping :)

Good luck. Hope it is nothing too serious.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Two days. On the second day, the Daleks used the Time Destructor on him.

(Sorry, just been watching recons and the surviving episodes of the Daleks' Master Plan. :))

I was so, so happy to see Paul McGann again. I've been listening to his Big Finish audios, and it brings something more to see him physically acting it.

He must have been so happy to be doing it without the wig. :)

Cheers!

delericho

Legend
Why don't locks deadlock by default?

There are a couple of possible reasons, but it's probably about convenience.

In my office, most of the doors are normally held by magnetic locks. Swipe the access card, and the door unlocks. However, at night we lock up the main doors with a standard lock (with key) to give a higher level of security. The reason we don't do this all the time is that it's obviously much more time consuming to unlock the door manually, rather than using the key.

Another possibility is that deadlocking may be easy to invoke, but require a higher level of access to unlock - only the security chief (or equivalent) can undo the deadlock. So, you'd use the normal lock most of the time, so everyone can move about, but in extreme cases you'd invoke the deadlock. You don't want to do it all the time, because it's a pain to have to keep calling on the SC to let you out again... but it's useful sometimes.

Remove ads