Day of the Doctor

Jesters Hand

First Post
WHoo HOO!! My Theater is right on the way home, big meeting of local gamers out front too, plus all the people form cloak and blaster (gameing pub) too

MarkB

Legend
So the main thing that can go wrong now, IMO, is a missed opportunity.

I would think an entire final Doctor story arc is ripe for dramatic potential; handwaving it with a line, a scene, even an episode, would be under-serving it. There's so much potential there for a story of how the Doctor faces his death and how that gets changed.

Then again, I guess Tennant and Smith both did "facing his death" segments. So maybe they feel it's played out.

The Xmas Special trailer has a lot of mention of Trenzalore, which is where he's eventually buried, and the fall of the 11th, and that "Silence Will Fall!" line seems to be revisited. Obviously that is going to tie in. It SOUNDS from all the stuff Moffat has been waffling about over the last few days like they're pitching Smith as the 13th (inc. Hurt and Tennant's wasted clone hand regen) with Capaldi as either something new, or a 14th after a change in the rules.

Really? I thought they pretty much established them as "All thirteen!" when Capaldi's Eyebrows showed up during the climactic scene.

BUT - there is one flaw with that. In that Impossible Astronaut death, Smith started to regenerate after being shot (it got interrupted by the second shot - there was a lot made of that). So he CAN regenerate. So he can't be the 13th.

The Doctor didn't start to regenerate in that scene - the tesselacted Doctor-shaped spaceship he was inside simulated an attempted regeneration for the benefit of onlookers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Really? I thought they pretty much established them as "All thirteen!" when Capaldi's Eyebrows showed up during the climactic scene.

Moffat''s says quite a but about in the last couple of days. Tennant's hand-clone alter ego counts, so there's a wasted regen. Smith 's the final one (normally) possible

on the matter of the numbering

Speaking at the Doctor Who Celebration convention over the weekend, Moffat said: “He has no more ever called himself the 11th Doctor than he would call himself Matt Smith. The Doctor doesn’t know off the top of his head.

“If you worry about such things, and I do, then I specifically said John Hurt’s Doctor doesn’t use the title. Smith’s Doctor is in his 12th body but he’s the 11th Doctor, however there is no such character as the 11th Doctor – he’s just the Doctor, that’s what he calls himself.

“The numbering doesn’t matter, except for those lists that you and I have been making for many years. So I’ve given you the option of not counting John Hurt numerically – he’s the War Doctor.”

On the regeneration issue, he said: “Paul McGann turns into John Hurt so they’re not the same incarnation. He used up another regeneration and I expect he’ll be in trouble shortly – you can’t break rules laid down in ‘The Deadly Assassin’.”

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yup 11 + Hurt + Tennant Clone = 13. Capaldi makes 14. He said much the same when I was there on Friday.

Last edited:

I really do like the way moffat plays with the audience:

Moffat stated that “The 12 regenerations limit is a central part of Doctor Who mythology – science fiction is all about rules, you can’t just casually break them. So if the Doctor can never change again, what’s Peter Capaldi doing in the Christmas special?”

ggroy

First Post
The Xmas Special trailer has a lot of mention of Trenzalore, which is where he's eventually buried, and the fall of the 11th, and that "Silence Will Fall!" line seems to be revisited. Obviously that is going to tie in. It SOUNDS from all the stuff Moffat has been waffling about over the last few days like they're pitching Smith as the 13th (inc. Hurt and Tennant's wasted clone hand regen) with Capaldi as either something new, or a 14th after a change in the rules.

Wonder if Moffat's intention is to do a complete reboot, and start anew with Capaldi as a new 1st doctor. (ie. Throw out all the existing canon and continuity of the past 50 years).

Perhaps similar to JJ Abrams rebooting Star Trek in the 2009 movie. :devil:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases