Day of the Doctor

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was most intrigued by the ending with you-know-Who (dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it yet) and his comment about revisiting familiar faces or something like that. This leads me to believe that at some point the Doctor will get the ability to regenerate into previous incarnations of himself.

Don't worry; it's aired, and if anyone has made it 7 pages into this thread, they're well and truly spoiled already!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So we've seen the Fall of Aracadia. As some point out, it's just part of the Time War - and is not even the biggest Gallifreyan city.

The events of The End of Time (with Timothy Dalton) were occuring simultaneously. The Time Lords mention this - they refer to the High Council having it own plans, and that those plans had failed.

So we've seen:
Genesis of the Daleks (the opening salvo in the Time War?)
The Medusa Cascade
The Fall of Arcadia
The Ultimate Sanction (what Timothy Dalton tried to do)
The Genesis Ark
The Moment/Galaxy Eater

We haven't seen:

The Nightmare Child
The Could've-Been-King and his Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres
The Degradations of Skaro
The Horde of Travesties
The Deathsmiths of Goth
The Gates of Elysium (where Davros allegedly died in battle with The Doctor, but didn't)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This leads me to believe that at some point the Doctor will get the ability to regenerate into previous incarnations of himself.

Given that the previous incarnations have aged, that would be difficult. I guess in theory they can cast folks who look vaguely like them to wear the old costumes, but really, is that they way to go?

I think it is a hint that they may be allowing those previous actors to take cameo or guest roles going forward.

Given that the previous incarnations have aged, that would be difficult. I guess in theory they can cast folks who look vaguely like them to wear the old costumes, but really, is that they way to go?

d.

You could get away with it for number 8, 11 and 10 without much fuss i think (9 too but doubt that will ever happen). They're all young enough still it could work.. I imagine baker is too old to return to television, but the remaining doctors could come back and just have them regenerate aged. My guess is most of the fans would understand the impossibility of having them return as younger versions of themselves.

Here is my theory if they do start having him take his older forms again: any doctor whose actor is still alive, they kind of have to either not do that doctor or use the original actor. I just think fans would be too outraged. But if the actor is dead, they can get away with hiring a younger actor. I dont think anyone would have flinched if theh had an actor playing the first doctor in a cameo for the fiftieth for example (and I mean a proper cameo, not standing silent on a chariot of cloud vapor).

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Even David Tennent looked noticeably older in DotD, and Paul McGann is of course 20 years older than when they did the movie. I suppose that just comes with the territory when you cast younger men. But McGann still worked for me as 8 in the minisode and Tennent wasn't distractingly older looking. But Colin Baker ... Yeah. That wouldn't work. Though Sylvester McCoy would have been just fine I think.

Bagpuss

Legend
So, some more observations:

• Re. the "I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman" line - I've now seen some angry folks on Twitter claiming that Elizabeth I would never say such a thing.

doctorwhofacepalm.gif

delericho

Legend
I dont think anyone would have flinched if theh had an actor playing the first doctor in a cameo for the fiftieth for example (and I mean a proper cameo, not standing silent on a chariot of cloud vapor).

They did of course recast the First for "The Five Doctors", all those years ago. Actually, I was half expecting David Bradley to show up in the special.

Remove ads