The official Star Wars VII Anticipation Thread!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is the thread for anticipation, gossip, rumour, news, speculation, pictures, trailers, and everything else Star Wars VII related!

Rules: Let's try to avoid threadcrapping; and we'll all take it as given many of us probably didn't like the prequels much; let's not harp on about them.

Kaodi

Hero
Even if they ultimately trash the continuity of the Expanded Universe I hope they at least borrow heavily from its best ideas.

I think it would be nice too if they made the lead female, but I am not sure I am going to hold my breath on that one either.

It will be great to see Ford, Fisher, and Hamill mixing it up again in Star Wars. I am even cautiously optimistic that with his many years of voice acting Hamill will give a markedly superior performance to his younger self. I am kind of worried about Fisher: would be great to see her get back into some semblance of shape to play Leia, but only if she does not hurt herself emotionally in the process. Ford may have the toughest job of them all, because Han Solo was already great.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think it would be nice too if they made the lead female, but I am not sure I am going to hold my breath on that one either. .

The casting calls seem to indicate both a male and a female lead, both 17-80 yrs old.

PigKnight

First Post
The casting calls seem to indicate both a male and a female lead, both 17-80 yrs old.
That's a helluva age range. (I kow it's a typo, but it's a very teehee typo.)

On another tangent, I thought the prequels were okay and could be cut to be better.

Not exactly holding my breath (still wheezing a bit after being kicked by the prequels) but I am interested in seeing what somebody else can actually do with the IP.

I won't actually pick on George anymore though. It wasn't ever going to be easy to go back in time, create characters that people will enjoy, most of whom would NOT be younger versions of characters from the first trilogy, and put them through events that MUST end up creating the situation where the original trilogy starts. Having already used up the "hero's journey" it was almost certain to mean a lot of filler.

Now, however, the characters and situations can begin somewhere fixed but be taken ANYWHERE. That is a much easier row to hoe.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I am even cautiously optimistic that with his many years of voice acting Hamill will give a markedly superior performance to his younger self.
The thing to remember here is Hamill was limited by George Lucas. He tried all types of different approaches to the character, but GL didn't like them. They he tried it as young GL and it was "perfect". So if you don't like whiney boy Luke & Anakin, that's what GL was like as a kid. Very revealing...

In spite of Disney and JJAbrams, I'm hoping that the next movies will be better than the prequels. If they allow Kurtzman and Orci near the script, however, expect major suckage.

There is more EU out there for source/reference than they could possibly incorporate, and some of it is actually GOOD.
It would be nice for them to not screw it up.

As always, expect the worst, and there's a chance you might be pleasantly surprised.

MarkB

Legend
Personally, I'm not put off by either the Disney or Abrams connections, and I've no interest in them paying even the slightest attention to the EU.

I look forward to the possibility of a set of sequels worthy of the original trilogy, and will hold off judging them until I see them.

On the plus side, Lucas isn't part of this new movie, so it couldn't possibly be that terrible, right? J. J. Abraham will probably make a decent movie.
On the other hand, with his love of lens flare, only 25% of the movie will be viewable.

Remove ads