Is it possible that 2nd edition could make a very popular come back?

I'd say that roll20 would actually be a good sample size of gamers.

It's probably fine from a sample size perspective. The problem is that sample size potentially has inherent bias because it only includes people who game online.

Without any data, we can't say for sure, but I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that if you play an earlier edition of D&D, it is less likely that you play over a VTT, compared to more recent editions of D&D.

My assumption is on the basis that older editions of D&D are more likely to be played by older people (i.e. playing the edition they grew up with). I would further assume that the older you are, the less likely you are to play D&D over a VTT (for various reasons).

That said, they are all assumptions I have made, with absolutely no data to back up whether those assumptions are correct or not.

Xyxox

Hero
It's probably fine from a sample size perspective. The problem is that sample size potentially has inherent bias because it only includes people who game online.

Without any data, we can't say for sure, but I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that if you play an earlier edition of D&D, it is less likely that you play over a VTT, compared to more recent editions of D&D.

My assumption is on the basis that older editions of D&D are more likely to be played by older people (i.e. playing the edition they grew up with). I would further assume that the older you are, the less likely you are to play D&D over a VTT (for various reasons).

That said, they are all assumptions I have made, with absolutely no data to back up whether those assumptions are correct or not.

I think you've made some pretty good arguments for your assumptions but there is one undeniable factor about VTTs, many of the newer games actually support the medium. You are never going to see support for AD&D 2E on Roll 20 from Wizards. The entire idea of D&D is to sell game books and if you promote old, out of print versions, you aren't going to sell as many of your latest version rule books.

That fact alone suggests that 2E is less likely to be played on VTTs.

Now, your assumption about older people may hold true broadly, but as a 53 year old man who started Role Play gaming with the white box in '77, there are many factors in my decision not to try out 5E yet. One might surprise you. I tend to not purchase game books in hard copy, preferring to stick with PDF files. I've switched over mostly to eBook formats for all of my reading, and this for over a decade, now going on two. (I actually purchased 2E PDF files from TSR/Wizards before 3E came out). I just prefer the ease of a single thin device with all my game books to carry around.

Grandvizier

First Post
I think vtt will be used more and more with us "older" generations. (That sounds so wrong in my ears as I still feel 20 something when interacting as a gamer)Having done both, tabletop is by far the more enjoyable, but the reality of getting people even in the same town together is the reason games stop. VTT means I can even look at starting against as I would be a min 1 HR away from any potential games. As to the point of my dialogue, I would use this as support for the data put out as a suitable sample. 2ed at No 5 on list?, Sounds right. I think as time goes on, it will slowly drop down. I think it unlikely the numbers playing will increase. Does it still have its place in the current gaming environment? Hell yeah. In 5 years are the numbers going to increase? My money is on no.

Sent from my HNT10-1615 using Tapatalk

Remove ads