Reworked melee Damage for divine beings, Siderials, Demiurges, Time Lords

I once again came into the problem of the Virtual Size Categories J-curve making melee damage get unbalanced and game breaking. So I devised a simple system I call "Might" to make melee more balanced and help portray divine beings as even more hardcore than before.

This is how it works, I don't allow Virtual Size categories to make base melee damage dice exceed the Diety's level. For example, a character might with Legendary Strength, be able to exceed well over 1000 base strength. That would make their base damage dice from Virtual Size categories freaking explode, they'd be probably doing well over 1,000,000d10 base dice. That's just absurd, absurd and hard to compensate for as a DM.

What I do is this: When a divine being reaches Hero Diety status or above, they gain the following:

"Might"(ex): A diety of Hero Diety or above deals d10's for base Melee Damage, and weapon damage cannot go below this damage dice, regardless of the base damage of the weapon. (Ie: a dagger wielded by a hero diety would deal 1d10 damage .)

Similarly, when Siderials gain Elder God or above, they gain the following:

"Cosmic Might"(ex): Siderials deal d20's for base melee damage, and their damage dice cannot go below this dice. (Ie: A Sidereal dealing 60d10 base damage, would

Last edited:

Sorry this is broken into two parts, computer is freaking out.

Anyway, Cosmic Might would instead turn the damage from 60d10 to 60d20, but if let's say he has 240 hit dice, he'd have a base damage cap per hit of 240d20. That said of course, that coupled with the brutal weapon specialization and weapon focus feats, and the crit multiplier feats and 3 weapon fighting makes it basically balanced with what an even levelled Caster Type will be able to dish out.

Demiurge's acquire:

"Trancendental Might"(ex): Demiurges deal d100s for base damage dice of melee, ranged weapon, and unarmed attacks.

And finally, Time Lords and Above gain:

"Omnific Might"(ex): Time Lords and above deal d1000s for base damage dice of all melee, ranged weapon, and unarmed attacks

So, the typical Time Lord would on average deal 1000d1000 base damage plus Str, plus God know what they've built up at this point.

Just curious about what you guys think. Also, I thought it might be cool to make these Divine/ Cosmic / etc abilities for those who want to get a leg up damage wise. Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

Interesting.

I'm not really qualified to know if it's balanced, but it looks good.

1000d1000 really doesn't seem like that much at time lord levels (did I really type that?) since they have a billion hp, but with ridiculous numbers of attacks and Inner Eye, it sounds sensible.

1000d1000 isn't much by itself, but think: if someone literally only had Unearthly Weapon Focus, Inner Eye, and Perfect Three Weapon Fighting. They'd be able to legit deal 600,000d1000 damage with a full attack. That's 600,000,000 damage, and that's with close to no work.

Mix that with Metamartial Maneuvers, feats, and Divine Abilities, Cosmic Abilities, etc... and... it basically makes their every action an arc of doom and pain.

Also, I allow things besides Virtual Size Categories to still affect damage dice multipliers. For example, if a Time Lord was to take Unearthly Weapon Specialization and they had no other modifiers, they'd deal 1000d1000 x2 (for it's crit multiplier) with a basic punch. Couple that with Perfect Critical Multiplier, and you're dealing x6 with a basic punch. Quantum Effect would further increase that to x4 again, so x24 at this point. Transattack Period would double your rounds each round essentially allowing your already meaty fists to rain apocalyptic doom on your foes.

That is 24,000,000 damage per hit. 4,800,000,000 damage with each arm. 14,400,000,000 with a full attack... and that number will double each round...

... and that's before strength damage, divine damage, and Effect Powers. I make all Time Lords and above have Expression of Power, an Effect power akin to an Omnific Version of the Transcendental Effect, however no defense works against it, it cannot be abbrogated, and foils learned ability or opponent immunity. It deals 1000d1000 of divine damage for a standard Time Lord, 250d1000 for a strike... see where I'm going with this... coupled with the above stated damage output...

Time Lords and such, if they seriously want their attack power to be unstoppable, they still shouldn't have much trouble, and it makes it so some other Time Lord who spec'ed different won't utterly blow at melee. I mean they're still a freaking Time Lord. They should do more than 20d10 with a punch...

Last edited:

1000d1000 isn't much by itself, but think: if someone literally only had Unearthly Weapon Focus, Inner Eye, and Perfect Three Weapon Fighting. They'd be able to legit deal 600,000d1000 damage with a full attack. That's 600,000,000 damage, and that's with close to no work.

Ah, well, clearly you know the really high end Ascension abilities better than me.

Also, I allow things besides Virtual Size Categories to still affect damage dice multipliers. For example, if someone was to take Unearthly Weapon Specialization and they had no other modifiers, they'd deal 1000d1000 x2 (for it's crit multiplier) with a basic punch. Couple that with Perfect Critical Multiplier, and you're dealing x6 with a basic punch.

OK, that does make it quite a bit stronger.

and it makes it so some other Time Lord who spec'ed different won't utterly blow at melee. I mean they're still a freaking Time Lord. They should do more than 20d10 with a punch...

A very good point.

Remove ads