Body Fat Percentage

Janx

Hero
IOW, "I don't care about petty things like 'facts,' I am right because I say so."
And it doesn't matter. All that means is that everyone who, in your judgement, is "in their right mind," will make the same choice. It's still a choice.

Also, if he is incapable of finding six hours in a day, then he's just not trying. Even if he were to have to work on his education ten hours a day every day, he still has room for eight hours of sleep after his six hours of working out. He just decided that those six hours had better uses. Not my problem.

It's an absurdist choice. a rational actor isn't going to choose it and therefore the fact that it is an option on the menu doesn't make it a SIGNIFICANT choice.

It's likely a factor of how much effort it would have taken. So if it only takes 20 minutes a day and healthy eating, then yes, Danny could have achieved that while learning/working, etc, and he effectively didn't want it bad enough.

But if it would have taken 8 hours a day and external financial support (he needs to get paid to get super-fit), and he didn't actually have that money available to him, then it was not a viable choice and is effectively eliminated in a rational person's mind.

Danny already indicated the option was at the latter extreme

To insist otherwise is to disrespect a person's real life considerations and concerns that an absurd option had equal value to the actual choice they made.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Then you choose not to have a six-pack. This is one of the relatively few things that're pretty much completely under your control, all you have to do is work for it.

While I agree that it is - largely - a choice (excepting medical issues), it isn't always a reasonable choice. Prioritising getting a six pack over working and feeding your family is, yes, a choice. It's not a reasonable one, though. It's a bad choice.

Everything's a choice, for sure, in that we have free will and decide things. That's just a discussion about the meaning of the word 'choice'. But our lives revolve around reasonable choices, not absolutes, and in common vernacular, one if these things aren't viable choices.

Choice, yes. Reasonable or viable choice? Not always.

Not my problem.

Danny's physique, like everything else on this messageboard, is indeed not your problem. It's a discussion forum. Participants in the discussion are either interested or not.

Last edited:

While I agree that it is - largely - a choice (excepting medical issues), it isn't always a reasonable choice. Prioritising getting a six pack over working and feeding your family is, yes, a choice. It's not a reasonable one, though. It's a bad choice.

This. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Danny clearly said, the doctors told him what he had to do specifically to get six pack abs. No one is denying it was possible, but people are saying it would not have been wise for him to do so. So characterizing his choice as "he just didn't want it enough" implies a judgment of his decision that seems unwarranted. The amount of hours he would have had to put in to achieve a superficial fitness goal of 300-style abs, would have potentially cost him money and time he needed for more important things. Now, if his livlihood was competing in body building competitions or starring on the Jersey Shore, that would be different.

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
But if it would have taken 8 hours a day and external financial support (he needs to get paid to get super-fit), and he didn't actually have that money available to him, then it was not a viable choice and is effectively eliminated in a rational person's mind.
Except this exactly true.

If it was really worth it to him, he could have found six or eight hours. The day is long, and you can adjust your sleep schedule to get more out of it. He could have gotten it, probably could have gotten it with his degree if he was willing to sacrifice other things
To insist otherwise is to disrespect a person's real life considerations and concerns that an absurd option had equal value to the actual choice they made.
No, it's a statement of fact.
Everything's a choice, for sure, in that we have free will and decide things. That's just a discussion about the meaning of the word 'choice'. But our lives revolve around reasonable choices, not absolutes, and in common vernacular, one if these things aren't viable choices.
Not true. No matter how much I want to, I can't stick my arm out, jump, and fly at several times the speed of sound. This was a simple matter of priorities.
Danny's physique, like everything else on this messageboard, is indeed not your problem. It's a discussion forum. Participants in the discussion are either interested or not.
Actually, his physique wasn't what I was expressing disinterest in, but hey, I'll give you points for effort.

Remove ads