{Settings Tournament} Round 5 - Finals! Greyhawk vs. Planescape

Which do you prefer?

• Poll closed .

Tovec

Explorer
I'm a little disappointed there was no option for BOTH. They aren't incompatible and were mostly the same setting during 3e's run (to my knowledge).

That being said, Greyhawk. With that I can still use the planar stuff I want but I prefer it much more as a setting. I prefer my fantasy settings with bits and pieces of the planes mixed in for colourful effect and flavour. I don't need a full planescape setting because I've tried doing a plane game before and it was poorly received and I probably won't do it again.

And as far as Greyhawk, I think the merits of the setting have been raised already in the previous rounds of this tournament and in the recent threads about 5e setting support. I think it is a good, rich, setting and has many little bits to play around with. It also has uninvolved super NPCs so that the players aren't being overshadowed - all things I enjoy, so it gets my vote.

EDIT: Wow. 9-2. Just wow. Early lead, I wonder what it'll look like tomorrow morning.. this morning.. later..?

Li Shenron

Legend
I voted Planescape.

It's a known fact that a lot of people love it and a lot of others hate it, but at least it's got personality.

Greyhawk for me is well done but always a bit boring.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
R: {Settings Tournament} Round 5 - Finals! Greyhawk vs. Planescape

I am all for Planescape, though I must say that I don't know Greyhawk much. Sigil has been my prominent base for playing (A)D&D, and can't help going back to that times with a tinge of homesickness.
3ED has seen me playing (instead of mastering) in an home-wrought setting, loosely based on Eberron and for little time.

That said, I loved Planescape for the sheer possibilities, for the capability of creating settings and plots to suit my players...and my mood! ;)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It's no surprise that Planescape will win.

I think that is the direct result of the collection of persons who frequent this forum/site. There is a vocal unabashed fanbase for it here.

I do not think, necessarily, that translates to it being the most popular setting in D&D TTRPG fandom as a whole.

I voted Greyhawk...but still expect PS will ultimately win.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This was a tough choice for me. Very tough.

I ultimately went with Planescape because it includes Greyhawk, and every other 2E setting, as part of its backdrop, so it's the closest option to having both. It's also a setting that I enjoy for what it actually is, whereas I think part of my affection for Greyhawk is as an idea.

the Jester

Legend
Greyhawk.

It's what I cut my gaming teeth on. Planescape is awesome, but I missed it at the time- one of the only lines of D&D material I'm sad I didn't buy on release- and to me, the many years of GH gaming that I played or ran just have too many awesome memories not to vote for them.

Hussar

Legend
It's no surprise that Planescape will win.

I think that is the direct result of the collection of persons who frequent this forum/site. There is a vocal unabashed fanbase for it here.

I do not think, necessarily, that translates to it being the most popular setting in D&D TTRPG fandom as a whole.

I voted Greyhawk...but still expect PS will ultimately win.

This.

Remove ads