{Vampire: The Masquerade - OOC} New York by Night

reapersaurus

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
I'd like to keep with canon continuity.
Doesn't that suck the fun out of it? ;)

Seriously, though.... the more I read about the heirarchy of the clans, and the politics and such, the harder it became for me to imagine playing a character in that world - everything you do would be watched and known, and there's no way you would ever grow to any power, since before you became anything, you would be forced into allegiance with the powers-that-be.

Canon is highly overrated, IMO. (but i don't know too much about it - those are just my layman's impressions)

what do you think?

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Got your info Shali. Sabrina looks great. Loved your backstory and your reason for being embraced.

Just so I have it straight:

Nathan is a prestigious Ventrue and head of a mortal family.
Your parent where ghouls. Did you know this before the embrace?
Jemal's character was embraced by Nathan and is now your caretaker.
Nathan thinks of you as a bastard childe.
Elizabeth is still alive(undead) and you want to destroy her.

This right?

What is the current situation with your parents?

All this seems fine. The only thing I'm going to add is that Nathan has you blood bound. :)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
Doesn't that suck the fun out of it? ;)

Seriously, though.... the more I read about the heirarchy of the clans, and the politics and such, the harder it became for me to imagine playing a character in that world - everything you do would be watched and known, and there's no way you would ever grow to any power, since before you became anything, you would be forced into allegiance with the powers-that-be.

Canon is highly overrated, IMO. (but i don't know too much about it - those are just my layman's impressions)

what do you think?

In most cases you are right. This was a problem I had with the game as well. However, this is what makes New York by Night the best idea White Wolf ever had.

For those of you who do not know:

Up until 1999, New York City was controlled by the Sabbat. There was very little Camarilla presence.

In '99 the Camarilla got organized and took the city back. Most of the Sabbat where destroyed, the rest fled. A few nomadic packs have been making incursions into the city, but they are rare.

Here is the good part. There is a power vacuum. Very few elders where willing to leave their esabolished domains and move to New York. There is a total of about 30 vampires in a city with a population of many millions.

The Prince is a Nosferatu who does not want the job. Most all of the Vampire are young and looking to make a name for themselves.

This game will not focus a lot on "The Camarilla" or "The Clans". It will focus on "The Vampires", if that makes sense.

In the immortal words of Tom Petty, "The future is wide open."

I'll try to post more info on the city soon.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
My wife and I would both like to play, Ash.

I gotta say, it is really cool seeing Vampire rules and such gracing a post on the ENBoards after so long. ;)

Both our first-person narrative backgrounds are linked from my first post, and I will work on transposing our character sheets for your game.

As an open offer, I can help with looking things up in the book(s), etc.

I am going to take a look now.

Also, yea, I would appreciate any help when it comes to the rules. I really dug into the rule book last night and found several errors in the information I posted yesterday.

It has been a while....

So far we have:

Reaper, Reaper's wife, Shalimar, Jemal, Kitana, & Timothy

Festy -> Are you still interested?

That is it assuming I get all of your info within the next week.

Last edited:

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Reaper, I just got through both of your right ups. They look really good.

Maybe I missed it, but neither character has anything about them after the embrace. What I read was really great though.

I'll still need both of the characters written up answering the questions I linked to above.

And character sheets of course. :)

Timothy and Kitana, is there anything in particular you need help with?

Jemal, where do you stand?

Shalimar -> Normally I would have said "no" to a child vampire character, but your concept was so good I'm looking forward to seeing where you take her. Good job.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Reaper, Reaper's Wife, and Shalimar have info turned in to me.

That means there is only 3 slots left. (I decided to allow six players.)

Timothy, Jemal, Festy, and Kitana I have not recieved anything from. (Though I get the impression that Jemal is working on it.)

Don't let the rules stand in your way. If you can get those questions answered from the link in my earlier post, that is all I really need now. We can worry about rules and character sheets later.

We have 4 interested players and 3 slots. The race is on. ;)

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
Got your info Shali. Sabrina looks great. Loved your backstory and your reason for being embraced.

Just so I have it straight:

Nathan is a prestigious Ventrue and head of a mortal family.
Your parent where ghouls.

Yes and yes. Nathan is my mentor(2 dots).

did you know this before the embrace?
No, she was totally ignorant of the situation, a child and the maquerade don't really mix, so why risk it from a truely practical standpoint?

Jemal's character was embraced by Nathan and is now your caretaker.
Nathan thinks of you as a bastard childe.
Nathan is responsible due to the tradition of the accounting, its just that her brother is much more friendly and protective, he doesn't replace, only augment.

Elizabeth is still alive(undead) and you want to destroy her.

Yes, not that she truly understands what it would mean to destroy her. But she is angry and wishes to hurt her.

What is the current situation with your parents?

Her parents are still around as much as they ever were, which is to say not much. They really are not equiped to deal with the temper tantrums of an 8 year-old with the ability to punch holes in walls, their role and Nathans has reversed.

All this seems fine. The only thing I'm going to add is that Nathan has you blood bound. :)

Naturaly, though I would point out that she already is effectively blood bound to him out of love.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Is it safe to assume that Sabrina and Nathan have a sort of Claudia and Lestat relationship? (Though not going so far as to actually try to kill each other.)

Jemal

Adventurer

Is it safe to assume that Sabrina and Nathan have a sort of Claudia and Lestat relationship? (Though not going so far as to actually try to kill each other.)

I'ld say that's probably safe to assume.. just add my character in as a kind of 'Louis'. ;)
OH, btw, yes I am working on my character, It's the virst Masquerade one I've ever made so It's taking a bit longer than I though (Plus trying to make my bio fit Shals so there's no continuity errors)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases