[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien blinked as she had been lost in thought and repeated her question, "Oh, I meant did the priest determine how they people died. We should probably speak to him next, maybe before we go talk to the syndicate to see who broke in to find the bodies."

The archeress was thoughtful after Harry mentioned the failed speak with dead spell and remarked, "Well maybe they are not really dead. Do you think they could be undead, Eanos? Hey, can you check for evil in here?"

Tyrien stayed with the other two.

She asked, "Harry, we were told there were innocent bystanders being killed as well in the murdering. This situation appears to be very focused and not some wanton killing spree."

[sblock=OOC]Yeah, I left off a few words on that question. I deleted them because I did not want to repeat "cause of death" and forgot to add a replacement later when I posted the draft.[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +18 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 64 Current: 64
CMB: +9 CMD: 28(21ff) Fort: +8 Reflex: +14 Will: +6
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation)
1st Level 2/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Eanos moves into the house, his stomach churning at the intensified scent of decaying flesh. But underneath the smell of the two corpses is the scent of something even more foul ... something that has been dead for much longer than two days, or even five. Eanos can smell that, and seawater.

Papers and ledgers are scattered around the floor. They seem mostly to be accounting statements, along with a few books of light reading that presumably belonged to one or the other of the deceased. Most of these appear to have gotten wet at one point, or at least thoroughly damp. At this point it's also possible to see that the male's neck is thoroughly abraded -- he appears to have been strangled to death. The woman is lying facedown in a patch of dried blood.

Heinrich sees faint, lingering traces of magic near the doorway. It might provide a clue as to how the assailant entered.

Harry turns an involuntary snort of laughter into a cough. "The priest ... ? No, ma'am. I would wager that Father Mackavoy did not determine how they died. I would wager quite heavily on that, in fact."

He shakes his head slightly at the next question. "Well, in this instance, the murderer only got Syndicate folks, that's true. But he started off with a bar that belonged to the Crew. When it happened, there were four sailors and a mop-boy that had nothing to do with any shady dealings, but they ended up just as dead as the pair of Crew boys that the murderer was probably after. And since then, there have been wives and family that have gotten in the way, too. And maybe a couple of fisherman ... but I suspect that one was just due to drink."

BH_150.jpg

. . . . Blind Harry . . . .

[sblock=OOC for Heirich]Spellcraft if you want to try understanding the trace magic.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Heinrich sees faint, lingering traces of magic near the doorway. It might provide a clue as to how the assailant entered.
[sblock=OOC for Heirich]Spellcraft if you want to try understanding the trace magic.[/sblock]

"Verry interestinc" Says Heinrich as he loos intensely at the doorway.

"Vee haf magic use here."

Spellcraft check: 1d20+18=37

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Tyrien glanced around and nodded as Heinrich mentioned magic. She was able to cast a few spells herself and was going to be able to cast more now that she learned to blend her arcane arts with her archery.

"Oh, aye. Check for magical auras."

"Without any other explanation, magical means of entry would be the logical explanation. Spells to turn one gaseous or into a cockroach would allow the villain to gain access and then he or she only need wait until they could commit the murders. Afterwards, they slip out again the same way."

"Anyone see the weapon used to kill the woman? I presume the pool of blood is from her."

She turned back to Harry and asked, "The incident in Crew Bar where the innocents were killed. What else do you know about that one? How long ago was it?"

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-2Att/+4dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

"Not sure about undead," Eanos answers Tyrien, rubbing his nose to rid it of an odor he can't escape, [color=c6666]"But something here--or that was here--was dead a lot longer than these two.

"Not sure if it's the same something, but there's an awful lot of seawater smell about, as well. But we left the water back thataway, yes?"[/color]

He picks up the dampened books and uses them to make his point.

"Accountants like reading in the tub that isn't even in this room, do they?" he says with a frown.

The inquisitor shakes his head, muttering a soft prayer repeatedly as he susses over the scents he has discovered, his eyes glazing over a few times as he takes a slow survey of the room and its inhabitants, as well, using whatever otherworldly sight Issolatha grants the woodsy man.

Then Harry's answer about the priest perks his interest.

"Incompetent, or something else gone wrong with this Mackavoy?" Eanos asks. [cc6666]"Don't seem like a heavy better to me, Harry, so must be some good odds."[/color]

[sblock=ooc]Not sure he has enough to go on, but a handful of Know checks (with guidance, which is the whispered prayer above) to see if the long-dead smell + seawater kicks up anything in his memory. Also, I suppose he can check for undead-ness in the corspes, but I think the Gentle Repose stops that, though I could be remembering that wrong: Know: Arcane, Dungeon, Nature, Planes, Religion, each with Guidance (smell, undead) (1d20+5=8, 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=25, 1d20+5=16, 1d20+5=17)

Also, at Tyrien's suggestion, he'll cycle through his Detect alignments and scan the room for auras: Evil and Chaos first, then good and law just for thoroughness. [/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF)
HP:61 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 17 (22 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 20/24
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6
Reflex: +8
Will: +9
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions: Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed), Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception (does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim) , -4 save vs odor based effects).

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim

Arrows: 31/31
Blunt Arrows: 20/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 27/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 3/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/3 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 6/6 remaining
Bane: 8/8 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 8/8 rounds remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (4/5 remaining)(DC 14): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (3/4 remaining)(DC 15): Bloodhound, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (2/2 remaining)(DC 16): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Heinrich is easily able to identify the spell as a short-range teleportation spell, generally called 'Dimension Door' by most practitioners of the art. Locked room mysteries are significantly less mysterious when a user of arcane magic is in the picture. Aside from some poorly enchanted armor on the bodyguard and a circlet of intelligence on the accountant, there is also some lingering enchantment magic on the woman, and traces of necromancy on both corpses.

There doesn't seem to be any sign of the weapon used to kill the woman. The bodyguard does have a longsword and a dagger, but both are still sheathed.

Blind Harry thinks for a minute. "Let's see ... the first attack was about five weeks ago, I think. Because there was about a week and a half of ... misunderstandings between the Crew and the Syndicate at first. Then they figured out it was someone else and they tried working together for about another week and a half. Then they sent Mr. Rahor and Miss Sweet to Venza, and that was about two weeks ago. That adds up to ... yes, five weeks. Give or take."

You are indeed several blocks away from the docks and a few dozen feet above sea level. The sea water didn't get here by itself.

The corpses have a definite taint of evil to them. They're not undead yet, but rather in an in-between state, much like a person who has been drained by a vampire, but who has not yet risen as one (although there's nothing that indicates it was a vampire in this case). It seems likely that the taint would have been enough to interrupt the delicate workings of a deadspeaking spell, however. And it also seems likely that the priest's preservation spell would have temporarily paused the transformation.

Blind Harry hesitates when asked about the priest. "Oh, I wouldn't say that, sir. He's a deeply religious man. And a ... connoisseur of fine wines, as well. Wines of all sorts, actually ... not just the fine ones," he answers carefully. Reading between the lines, it's rather clear that Harry's opinion of the priest is that he's a drunk and a fool, but as someone whose livelihood depends on not making enemies, he doesn't want to say it outright. His earlier frank words regarding the priest seem to have been an error on his part.

BH_150.jpg

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

"Understood," Eanos says to Blind Harry as the nature of his opinion on the priest becomes clearer. "We'll know what gifts to bring the temple when we visit, yes?" he says easily, trying to make clear in his tone that he has no intention of using Harry's slip against him.

He says no more, then, as he moves to directly examining the bodies, until his vision shifts, and the human chosen of the Halfling goddess frowns and stands.

"Good instincts, Tyrien," he says to the female archer. "Think the dead I smelled was undead after all. And these two are somewhere ... in between. Not a vampire that I can tell, but maybe something like it. When the searching's done, these'll need burning, yes?

"But if we're the first to notice in five full weeks ... "
the frown deepens. "Harry," he asks, his tone full of carefully controlled concern. "where d'you expect we'd find the FIRST bodies from this little spree?"

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +8
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF)
HP:61 Current: 61
Senses: Perception 17 (22 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 20/24
CMB: +6 CMD: 21 Fort: +6
Reflex: +8
Will: +9
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound

Conditions: Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed), Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception (does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim) , -4 save vs odor based effects).

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +13/+08 = [BAB (06/01)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +09/+04 = [BAB (06/01) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6 damage when using Bane ability

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-2 attack, +4 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim

Arrows: 31/31
Blunt Arrows: 20/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 27/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 10/10 remaining

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 3/3 Remaining
Determination: 3/3 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 6/6 remaining
Bane: 8/8 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 8/8 rounds remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 13): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (4/5 remaining)(DC 14): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (3/4 remaining)(DC 15): Bloodhound, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (2/2 remaining)(DC 16): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Prayer

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Heinrich is easily able to identify the spell as a short-range teleportation spell, generally called 'Dimension Door' by most practitioners of the art. Locked room mysteries are significantly less mysterious when a user of arcane magic is in the picture. Aside from some poorly enchanted armor on the bodyguard and a circlet of intelligence on the accountant, there is also some lingering enchantment magic on the woman, and traces of necromancy on both corpses.

There doesn't seem to be any sign of the weapon used to kill the woman. The bodyguard does have a longsword and a dagger, but both are still sheathed.

"Ist magic breach, dimension door ist called. Just vaht I vood use. . . . . . das body guard has minor enchantment on armor . . . . . Accountant has circlet to enhance intelligence, and . . . . . .ACH! Ick!!! Ja, necromancy magic on both corpses Ist not goot at all."

Heinrich has never put credence in acts of superstition, only the pure science of the arcane.

After discovering the trace of necromantic magic, tho, he hand gestures a sign of warding, a look showing a bit of actual fear in his eyes.

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Tyrien frowned as the more knowledgeable red-headed men revealed very unsettling news.

“With teleportation and the taint of necromancy already in evidence, I am not sure we need to really speak to the men who broke in now. Not sure the priest will know more either, but we should still ask him.”

“If you take arcane teleportation, necromancy, and sea water together, what do you get?”

“Methinks, a sea witch.”

She turned back to Blind Harry and asked, “Did you not just mention such a person? Can you tell us more about her and where she can be found?”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
+2 Will vs. Enchantments

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining

Systole

First Post
Harry tries to follow the conversation about undead and the intricacies of spells, but frankly it's over his head. "The other bodies would be up at the cemetery on Gurry Hill, just a short walk out of town. Nom Raskey does the coffin-making, grave-digging, and general caretaking of the place, and his shack is up there as well, if you'd like to speak to him. He's a bit .... he's not a particularly fast thinker, if you catch my meaning, sir."

He frowns at Tyrien, pondering the possibility that the sea witch might be behind the attacks. "Lady Enosi? I ... I suppose she might know those magics, miss, but I've never known her to care a whit about the town one way or the other. I know she sells certain kinds of, uh, 'remedies' on occasion, but it's usually only the fishermen and their wives that go to her. And she's a day away by boat, and I'm fairly sure there was an attack right about the same time that the Syndicate gents were inquiring about the possibility of her doing the deadspeaking. The scheduling seems a bit tight to me, but then again, I'm not privy to the ways of sea witchery."

BH_150.jpg

Remove ads