About starship combat

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Awesome. I am really searching for a System that can give me "Wing Commander" like Space Battles so this N.E.W. just moved itself on my "to look out for" List of RPGs

I've not played Wing Commander, so I can't really comment on whether that can be done. The space combat in the N.E.W. rulebook, though, is only a half dozen pages or so, plus a 3-4 pages or so on ship construction - it's fairly simple in design, and played on a hex grid. I know exactly how I'd expand that to a full book, though, plus books full of ships, a full construction manual, etc. But that's just a hypothetical later line of products.

Storminator

First Post
How do you deal with keeping all the players engaged? What is Leia's player doing during all those dog fight scenes? Essentially complaining about Han's dice rolls. This is something I've struggled with in naval combat in fantasy rpgs. Unless your character is essential to the flying of the ship there's precious little to do. Perhaps just keeping it quick is enough.

PS

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How do you deal with keeping all the players engaged? What is Leia's player doing during all those dog fight scenes? Essentially complaining about Han's dice rolls. This is something I've struggled with in naval combat in fantasy rpgs. Unless your character is essential to the flying of the ship there's precious little to do. Perhaps just keeping it quick is enough.

There's several viable approaches, all depending on what your players enjoy.

One is to let your players have a ship each (depending on the campaign, of course). In a very fast and loose campaign, and in a very micromanagey budgetey tradey mortgagey campaign (two extremes the system should allow, along with points in between) it's viable for the players to have a small fleet. Maybe they have an X-Wing each. Maybe later they can afford a Falcon style ship each. Or maybe they're two to a ship, or what-have-you.

Second is to have one ship, and ensure there are important roles for each player. Weaponry has to be manned, one per player. The doctor can be healing folks, the engineer repairing stuff and getting bonuses, someone using the sensors, plus a pilot, of course. That's a little trickier to ensure each of those roles is interesting.

Third is having actual PC action *at the same time*. This ship battle is going on, while the security guy is hunting down the saboteur in the engine bay so that the pilot can have power to the engines back. At the same time, someone's in a shuttle flying over to the enemy ship hoping to board it and steal the death star plans.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a little "test" I tried to see if I could model some of the stats from FASA's old Star Trek ship recognition manuals with this system. It's a bit quick and dirty.

constitution.jpg

Last edited:

I used to watch a cartoon where pilots 'jack' into these power armors that are more or less fighter craft. COuld your N.e.w system make small ships/power armors? and if so how well would it scale putting them against carriers and ships of the line?

I wish I had enough time to playtest I would have jumped at it... but my group doesn't have the time right now and I didn't want to take one of your 10 slots and not use it... but I am following closely awaiting the kickstarter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosquad

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases