Homebrew Pathfinder Game Mechanics - Looking for Suggestions and Comments

3catcircus

Adventurer
So I'm considering instituting some homebrew changes to Pathfinder, taking inspiration from a different game system, and looking at the following areas:

1. Changing the core mechanic to a roll-low d20 dice pool system.
2. Getting rid of BAB.
3. Getting rid of saving throws as they currently exist.
4. Changing the hp mechanic.
5. Changing the damage and healing mechanics.

The reasons for doing so are to add additional chance, making wounds and healing more "realistic" (I know - realistic is a loaded word), and making combat much more serious.

So, rather than roll a d20 + mods and comparing to a DC (or AC for attacks), what I want to do is use the number of skill ranks (BAB in the case of combat) as the basis for the number of d20s in a dice pool (maximum of say 6d20) as well as affecting the DC. The basic DC would be your controlling attribute (e.g. if you have a STR 12 and attempting something strength-based, your DC would be 12) and you goal would be to roll 12 or lower. Skill ranks would raise the DC (making it easier to succeed). The amount you succeed by would be added to any variable effects and each additional die in the pool that is a success would add 2 more to the amount you succeed by.

For combat, the DC would be controlling attribute (STR or DEX) minus AC. AC would just be armor and other mods (no 10 + armor + mods + ...). A critical would be scored when you beat the DC by 5 or more and a fumble would occur when you fail by 5 or more.

The number of dice in your pool would be based on skill ranks (or BAB for combat). I'm thinking 0 ranks = 2d20 (but have to pick the higher of the two rolls) vs. the bare controlling attribute, 1-3 ranks = 1d20L, 4-6 ranks = 2d20L, 7-9 ranks = 3d20L, 10-12 ranks = 4d20L, 13-15 = 5d20L, and 16+ = 6d20L.

Saving throws would use this same formula, but the Fort/Ref/Will bonus would act as the "skill rank."

Initiative would be based both on a flat encumbrance-based number and on how successful you are at beating your Dex check (2 x the amount you are successful by).

Armor would, as previously mentioned, not start at 10 (so a guy with Plate Armor, a heavy steel shield, and Dex 10 would have AC 11 (+9 armor + 2 shield +0 Dex). But, armor would provide DR at the rate of 1/2 AC - so this example would have AC 11, DR 5.

Weapons would, instead of using the crit multiplier to do extra damage, use that as a penetration value. Damage would be subtracted by the DR multiplied by the penetration.

Hit points would not go up with level. They would be based on a flat formula of [10 + STR + 2 x CON]/4. This base would then have multipliers that would be trip points to compare against damage to determine wounds (light, moderate, serious, critical) that would vary by hit location (head .

So, using an example monster, it'd have stats as follows (only relevant stats shown for illustrative purposes):

Troll
Base Initiative 15 (Light encumbrance), Perception DC 12 (2d20L)
AC 6, touch 1, flat-footed 4 (+2 Dex, +5 natural, -1 size), DR 3/acid or fire
Fort DC 23 (2d20L), Ref DC 14 (1d20L), Will DC 9 (1d20L)
base hp 19
(head 1, 10, 19, 28) / torso (1, 19, 38, 57) / each limb (1, 19, 28, 38)

Melee bite DC 21 (2d20L), dmg 9, pen 1; 2 claws DC 21 (2d20L), dmg 8, pen 1
Special Attack rend (2 claws, dmg 10, pen 1)
Str 21, Dex 14, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6
BAB +4 (2d20L), CMB DC 21 (2d20L), CMD 12

Let's say the troll were to attack a 6th level human fighter NPC (Dueling Sword Fighter) who has gotten ahead of the rest of his party - I'm not going to bother showing his converted stats for the below example of combat.

The Troll rolls initiative: His base init is 15. He rolls 2d20L and gets a 13 and a 20. His 13 is lower than his init base by 2, so his initiative is 15 + 2 x 2 = 19.
The NPC rolls a 19 and a 5, so his initiative is 15 + (2 x 10) = 35.

The Fighter attacks first using his dueling sword. His DC is 18 (using Dex due to Weapon Finesse) + 1 (Weapon Focus) - AC 6 = 13. He rolls a 12 (success) and a 19. His damage is 9 + 1 (margin of success) - 3 (DR) * 1 (pen) = 7 points of damage, to the Troll's left elbow/forearm. This is above the light threshold of 1, but below the moderate threshold of 19. A slight wound to the left arm will reduce his dice pool by one for any activity using that limb.

Now, it is the Troll's turn to attack. He begins with a bite (DC 21 - AC 11 = 10). He rolls an 8 and a 16. His damage = 9 + 2 - DR 4 * pen 1 = 7 to the fighter's right shoulder - a slight wound. On first claw attack (right claw), he rolls a 4 and a 5, beating DC 10. He does (8 + 6 (margin of success) + 2 (2nd die is also a success)) * 2 (critical due to beating roll by 5 or more) - DR 4 * pen 1 = 28 points of damage to the fighter's right hip/thigh. The damage exceeds the critical threshold for the limb. The fighter immediately enters into shock and is unable to take any other actions during the round. He must make a Fort save or begin bleeding out - with his rolls of 7, 16, and 20 against DC 12, he succeeds. Because of the horrific nature of the wound, he is immediately knocked down and loses the use of the leg until healed. Luckily the damage doesn't exceed 2x the critical wound threshold, otherwise he'd have a 50% chance of the leg having been catastrophically amputated. The troll now uses his 2nd claw attack but can only roll 1d20 instead of 2d20 because of the wound inflicted on him by the fighter. He rolls a 1 - a critical hit against the fighter (DC 21 + 4 (fighter in shock) - AC 11 = 14) and does (8 + 13) * 2 - DR 4 * pen 1 = 38 hit points to the fighter's lower abdomen - a serious wound. He has to roll a Will save to avoid going into shock, but since he is already in shock, he becomes unstable if he fails instead - he gets a 3, 5, and 12 - still managing to avoid bleeding out.

So let's stop here for a moment. The troll has a slight wound to his left arm (which reduces his dice pool by 1 for any actions using that arm). The fighter has a slight wound to his right shoulder, a critical leg wound, and a serious wound to his stomach. Let's say, for illustrative purposes, that the troll's rend attack causes another slight wound to the fighter's right shoulder. Because he has two wounds of the same level to that area, it is additive and turns into a moderate wound to the shoulder. He has to make a Fort save or begin bleeding out - he rolls two 11s and a 16. This guy just won't die... At the beginning of the next round, he can try to crawl away, but otherwise he is likely going to be killed.

Cue the fighter's buddies who were in the other room and come charging in. They beat the troll in initiative. The Rogue immediately performs first aid (DC = Wis 15 + 4 ranks in heal - 1 for the moderate wound, - 2 for the serious wound, and -3 for the critical wound = DC 13) He rolls and gets a 1 and a 2. His margin of success is 12 (13 - 1) + 2 (due to the second success) = 14 and since he rolled better by 5 or more on his initial success, it is a critical success. The GM decides this means that none of the wounds will get infected. The cleric casts a cure critical wounds - this heals the leg wound to serious, and heals the other wounds - the moderate wound becomes light and the serious wound becomes moderate. The wizard lobs an acidic spray at the Troll, doing 20 points of damage to every part of the troll (no DR). Each limb and the torso has a moderate wound, while the troll's head suffers a serious wound. The troll has to roll 5 Will saves for the moderate wounds. His first check is a success, but none of the others are not - and they all fail by 5 or more - the first failure puts him into shock and the subsequent failure makes him unstable and begin bleeding out. The troll also has to make a Will save for the serious head wound - he is already unstable, but fails this check and immediately slips into unconsciousness. In the next round, he takes 7 more points of acid damage but as this is only a slight wound level, it has no additional effect. At the end of this next round, the helpless troll's limbs and torso become seriously wounded and the head wound becomes critically wounded. At the end of the following round, the trolls limbs and torso become critically wounded, the troll's head wound level increase past critical and the poor troll expires.

Granted, I've likely not done the best job of making these proposed homebrew rules as clear as possible, but how do you see this working in a real playtest situation? Because of the lethality of magic attacks, I'm thinking I should make damage half of what it normally would be.

Honestly, and don't shoot me here, Pathfinder is pretty much balanced and good to go as it is. I wouldn't make any large alterations, you're basically playing a new system.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
1. Changing the core mechanic to a roll-low d20 dice pool system.
2. Getting rid of BAB.
3. Getting rid of saving throws as they currently exist.
4. Changing the hp mechanic.
5. Changing the damage and healing mechanics.

I'm sure your suggested changes work great, but one thing they're not - is simple.

I've incorporated the same changes you're looking at into Modos RPG, but I took it a step farther and changed the combat and magic systems as well. But consider these changes if they'll help you:

1. Keep the d20 roll. Dice pools get tricky fast.
2. Lose the BAB. Turn attacks into a skill, and grant your classes more skill points so the PCs can buy the attack skill at will.
3. Lose the saving throws. Turn them into - wait for it - skills! Better yet, wrap their effects into existing skills. Like...give Sense Motive the power to act like a Will save. Again, might want to grant more skill points at each level.
4. Lose those HP! They're lame. What's a character have ability scores for? They look like hit points to me. Maybe you'll combine the physical ability scores (STR, DEX, CON) to act like hit points. Maybe not. Need more health? Allow PCs to make a damage-reduction roll, each encounter, for each hit-die they have.
5. Damage and healing? Change 'em! Modos uses physical health to represent all ailments. Get poisoned - take damage. Get exhausted - take damage. Get injured - take damage. You heal one physical damage per day without any other intervention. Granted, that's slow progress. But healing opportunities, really, should only be limited by your imagination.

3catcircus

Adventurer
I'm sure your suggested changes work great, but one thing they're not - is simple.

Agreed - but my intent isn't to simplify things, but to provide a different way of doing things. While I don't want it to be overly-complex, I also don't want it to be necessarily simplistic by virtue of being abstract. I want mechanics that support a more "realistic" narrative. Yes - "realistic" is a loaded word, but when I say realistic, I mean mechanics that will end the "full capability until 0 hp" scenario that currently exists. I want combat to wear down an opponent with really lucky or really good hits causing significant damage. Basically - either one side loses due to exhaustion or one side loses due to taking a mortal wound.

I've incorporated the same changes you're looking at into Modos RPG, but I took it a step farther and changed the combat and magic systems as well. But consider these changes if they'll help you:

1. Keep the d20 roll. Dice pools get tricky fast.

How so? If I use d20s and limit the dice pool size by basing the number of dice on a multiple of numbers of skills ranks, it seems that it would work without being overly-complex. I'm talking no more than 6 d20s or so.

2. Lose the BAB. Turn attacks into a skill, and grant your classes more skill points so the PCs can buy the attack skill at will.
I like this, but the question is how many more skill points? I would want to avoid the "fighter-types get more skill points to buy attack and defense skills" type of scenario.

3. Lose the saving throws. Turn them into - wait for it - skills! Better yet, wrap their effects into existing skills. Like...give Sense Motive the power to act like a Will save. Again, might want to grant more skill points at each level.
I'm not so sure that saving throws should be skills for all things. What about making them derived attributes instead?

A Fort save is based on Con, so maybe turn this into a set of fatigue trip-points?
A Ref save is based on Dex, so why not base it on the higher of Sense Motive or Acrobatics or even base it on initiative?
A Will save is based on Wisdom - but Will implies mental toughness - the ability to face danger (i.e. a Morale check). Maybe make this equal to 1/2 his Wisdom score.

Likewise - initiative is based on Dex - maybe make his initiative check based on 1/2 his Dex.

So - when a guy with Dex 18 is entering combat and carrying a light load rolls initiative, he'd roll 2d20L and compare to his Init score of 9. Let's say he rolls a 3 and a 12. One of them is below 9, so he succeeds. His margin of success is 9 - 3 = 6. Because he is carrying a light load, his base initiative is 15. So - his final initiative is 15 + 2 x 6 = 27.

4. Lose those HP! They're lame. What's a character have ability scores for? They look like hit points to me. Maybe you'll combine the physical ability scores (STR, DEX, CON) to act like hit points. Maybe not. Need more health? Allow PCs to make a damage-reduction roll, each encounter, for each hit-die they have.

I prefer using hit points, not as a "subtract until dead" but as "this attack does x amount of hp damage. At different thresholds that are multiples of a base hp score, different wound effects occur." So - a character would have a base hp score that is solely dependent upon his physical attributes (Str and Con). At various trip points (say, 1 hp, base hp, 2 x base hp, 3 x base hp), different wound effects would occur. You could have this as-is or do different multiples for different hit locations. I'd keep it simple and say head, torso, each limb (counting wings, tails, tentacles, etc. as limbs).

5. Damage and healing? Change 'em! Modos uses physical health to represent all ailments. Get poisoned - take damage. Get exhausted - take damage. Get injured - take damage. You heal one physical damage per day without any other intervention. Granted, that's slow progress. But healing opportunities, really, should only be limited by your imagination.

I'd expect slow progress from natural healing. In real life, breaking your leg equals months in a cast (or several weeks if you get pins put in). My proposed house rules would mean that since you have different wound levels, you'd be able to magically heal those wound levels. The question becomes how. I'd think that the standard Cure Light, Mod., Serious, and Crit. would match to the proposed wound levels of Light, Mod., Serious, and Crit. But - should a Cure Lt. only be able to turn a light wound level into no wound, or should it allow the ability to bump a wound level down by one (i.e. casting cure light on a serious wound makes it a moderate wound.)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Wearing down opponent: trip points works, but I like the D&D 3.5 optional rule: once you hit half hit points you check your morale, and become Shaken if you fail. Except for all the bookkeeping, I like the idea of wearing down ability scores as you take damage, so the related modifiers get lower and lower.

Dice pools aren't tricky to use - they're tricky to calculate regarding probability. The d20 is pretty simple - each point difference is approximately a 5% likelihood change.

In your initiative example: why does a character need to "succeed" on initiative?

Derivative scores are cool. I'm a simplicity guy, just because complex systems turn me off. I'd rather spend my time playing a game, than learning to play the game. Plus, I'm afraid that the more rules that need following are the slower the game moves. Besides that, derivative scores make perfect sense, and could probably be pretty fun to write up.

Last edited:

3catcircus

Adventurer
Wearing down opponent: trip points works, but I like the D&D 3.5 optional rule: once you hit half hit points you check your morale, and become Shaken if you fail. Except for all the bookkeeping, I like the idea of wearing down ability scores are you take damage, so the related modifiers get lower and lower.

My thoughts are to use VP/WP - and when you hit 0 VP, make the morale check. I'd split the WP (instead of a threshold at Con and death at 2 x Con), I'd split it into 4 thresholds (light, moderate, serious, critical) so that you can have cascading failures (actions suffer, say, -1, -2, -5, and -10 upon passing each threshold - I don't know if it should be that severe, or just -1, -2, -3, -4). My only other sticking point is how to manage conditions at each of those points - I'd want to see the potential to enter into "shock" at moderate and above - using the staggered condition, with fumbles resulting in becoming unstable and starting to bleed out by losing 1 WP each turn if you take any actions. At the critical wound threshold, if using hit locations, I'd want there to be the possibility of catastrophic amputation of a limb resulting from the hit and instant unconsciousness if the hit location is the head.

The current PF variant is that you have WP = 2 x Con. When you drop to 1/2 WP, you become staggered. If you take any move or standard actions, you lose 1 WP and make a Con check or become unconscious. I think that may be too deadly, hence the idea of having multiple thresholds.

Dice pools aren't tricky to use - they're tricky to calculate regarding probability. The d20 is pretty simple - each point difference is approximately a 5% likelihood change.
True, but I don't mind turning that flat curve into something non-linear (or at least less linear).

In your initiative example: why does a character need to "succeed" on initiative?
My thoughts are that since part of initiative is how fast you recognize and react to your opponent's actions and the other part is, once you react, how quickly you can act, you are competing against yourself as much as your opponent. What you are doing and carrying can affect how quickly your body reacts after your mind reacts. An analogy would be drag racers who are reacting to a count-down light and then trying to beat each other - once you are able to react to the light turning green, now it is a matter or how quickly you can stomp your foot on the gas and let go the brakes - and in cars that require you to shift gears, also how quickly you can jam through them. Now imagine, if the driver had to do so while his arms are weighted down...

Derivative scores are cool. I'm a simplicity guy, just because complex systems turn me off. I'd rather spend my time playing a game, than learning to play the game. Plus, I'm afraid that the more rules that need following are the slower the game moves. Besides that, derivative scores make perfect sense, and could probably be pretty fun to write up.

Some of the thoughts I have here are that the standard 6 abilities represent multiple things. CON = both health and stamina. INT is both thinking and learning. WIS is willpower, awareness, common sense, and intuition. DEX = both how quickly you can react and how coordinated you are. STR is both musculature and strength. CHA is both how you look and how social you are.

I'd say that you need to account for the following:

1. Your strength is purely a physical attribute (how much muscle you have). Your ability to use that muscle is really determined by how well-coordinated you are. So - I could see using DEX as a to-hit modifier for ALL attacks with STR determining how much damage you do.
2. Your health and stamina really is an all-encompassing "how fit am I?"
3. Your sensory awareness shouldn't be a secondary factor of Wis or Int that is modified by learning. Either you are aware of your surroundings or not - so I'd suggest that Perception be it's own attribute - divorce this dependence from INT/WIS.
4. INT ought to be split into INT and EDU since you can be intelligent without having a lot of formal learning (or vice versa). Perfect for creating, say, a master craftsman with high INT and DEX, without it automatically giving bonuses to other INT-based skills that can be used untrained.
5. I'd combine INT and WIS, but split off the mental toughness portion of WIS as it's own attribute (Resolve/Determination/etc.).
6. I'd include a Morale score that is based on your mental toughness.
7. I'd have initiative that is encumbrance dependent as well as how quickly you can mentally react. Have, say, based Init of 15 (light), 10 (medium), and 5 (heavily encumbered) and then add 2 x however much you beat a roll vs. your own DEX score (if you fail, it is just the base init for your encumbrance level).

3catcircus

Adventurer
So, I've been kicking around the damage/healing some more and realize that trying to incorporate wound levels will prove more difficult than I had hoped.

Instead, I'm going to mash up the d20 and Pathfinder VP/WP systems, while introducing a morale check based on Dice of Doom's 4e Morale Rules. I've modified DoD's morale rules such that if an NPC is already demoralized through use of an Intimidate skill check, they have an additional penalty.

I'll use the PF VP/WP system, with the following modifications: upon taking the first point of damage to WP, you become fatigued (and NPCs need to make a morale check - failure results in becoming frightened). every time you take WP damage beyond the 1st WP, you make a Fort Save (DC 5 + damage) or become dazed for a round until you reach your WP threshold. Upon reaching WP threshold, NPCs need to make a second morale check (failure results in becoming panicked).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'll use the PF VP/WP system, with the following modifications: upon taking the first point of damage to WP, you become fatigued (and NPCs need to make a morale check - failure results in becoming frightened). every time you take WP damage beyond the 1st WP, you make a Fort Save (DC 5 + damage) or become dazed for a round until you reach your WP threshold. Upon reaching WP threshold, NPCs need to make a second morale check (failure results in becoming panicked).

Let us know how the playtest goes. I expect lots of yielding to occur once those wound points get touched.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Let us know how the playtest goes. I expect lots of yielding to occur once those wound points get touched.

I've been playing around with this and am trying out the following:

Threshold Effects NPC Morale Check?
VP / 2 -1 on all actions
0 VP (1st point of damage to WP) Yes (Shaken)
¾ WP Fatigued
½ WP Fort Save (DC 5 + dmg) or become staggered Yes (Frightened)
¼ WP Fort Save (DC 5 + dmg) or become stunned Yes (Panicked)
0 WP Dead

Remove ads