Incandescent light bulbs get a reprieve in the US

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Now I'm confused, you would rather have a hot and fragile incandescent bulb near a toddler?

While cooler than incandescents, CFLs are NOT cool to the touch- just changed a hot one yesterday. And while harder to break than incandescent, they're not unbreakable.

Then there's that whole mercury vapor thing. Mercury is far more dangerous to developing children than to fully grown adults.

So yes- I'd rather have an incandescent near a kid than a CFL. All of which is also why I like halogens and especially LEDs as options.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I have found some of the quoted figures to be iffy, for example:
If you're referring the costs that I quoted, well, go to Target.com and look at the prices, yourself. (Target is where I typically shop.) I'm not trying to sell anyone on the idea, (I've never used any CFLs) -- I just looked it up out of curiosity.

60-watt, 4-pack, standard = $4.19
60-watt, 4-pack, long life = $8.19
13-watt (60-watt output), 4-pack, CFL (swirly) = $12.48
15-watt (60-watt output), 2-pack, CFL (globe) = $13.10

So, for 30 bulbs:
Standard = $31.43
Long life = $61.43
CFL swirly = $93.60
CFL globe = $196.50

I'm a data geek.

Bullgrit

Bullgrit

Adventurer
The color was unfriendly, and the time to reach full luminosity was a problem. I found that by the time a bulb reached the necessary brightness I'd already moved past needing that particular bulb.
Actually, now that I think about it, I think I have used a single CFL. I remember several months ago I replaced a bulb in the two-bulb main fixture in my home office. It annoyed me that when I flipped the switch, there was a difference in the light bulbs -- one came on immediately, and the other came on about a half second later. Thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure that slow bulb is a swirly CFL. But either it's now turning on at the same speed or I've just gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.

Bullgrit

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you're referring the costs that I quoted, well, go to Target.com and look at the prices, yourself. (Target is where I typically shop.) I'm not trying to sell anyone on the idea, (I've never used any CFLs) -- I just looked it up out of curiosity.

And, to be complete
43-Watt (60-Watt output), 2-pack (halogen) = $4.99

tomBitonti

Adventurer

So, for 30 bulbs:
Standard = $31.43
Long life = $61.43
CFL swirly = $93.60
CFL globe = $196.50

I'm a data geek.

Bullgrit

... which puts the lower cost difference for CFL for 30 bulbs at about $60, twice what I posted. At the middle end the difference is about $160. (And, there are higher cost bulbs with additional features, e.g., spectrum choices, or dimmer friendly.) At what seems a stretch, the long life to cfl swirly difference is just slightly more than $30, so that matches.

I wonder what the markup is for these. For buying 30 (or more), some additional discount might be possible. Hmm ...

http://www.amazon.com/GE-13-Watt-Energy-SmartTM-replacement/dp/B000NISDNU

Has an eight pack for $14, or actually less than an eight pack of long life bulbs. That would be about $48 for 30 bulbs!

But, on the other hand ...

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/CF_GIB

Has globe types at $8.50 each for quantities of 12 or more. ($9.92 each for fewer than 12 bulbs.) That would be $255 (!!) for 30.

My own experience has been that the cost has been much higher than what was listed. And, these are only recently becoming close to equivalent replacements.

I found in actual use, the bulb shape and light dispersal matters enough to prevent a simple replacement with the cheapest option. For example, replacing bulbs for a vanity mirror, which required globe type frosted bulbs with even dispersion.

Not saying there isn't still a cost saving, just that the data needs to be looked at closely for accuracy, and the particulars of the bulb usage can dramatically increase the price.

My gut says that LEDs will win out in the end, even though they have the highest initial cost. But, my value point is probably different than that of a lot of folks, so that's said with a bit of hesitation.

Thx!

TomB

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Never got into CFCs, but I think the LEDs are great. I especially like the LED ribbon lights--so nice, smooth, easy to tuck away, and the power savings... wow.
I replaced all the exterior bulbs at my 4-plex with LEDs, and knocked about $10 off the monthly bill. Which means the bulbs paid for themselves within a year.

Now, there is the matter of the halogen oblong bar bulb that does not, as far as I know, have an LED replacement yet. I'd really like to see that--my kitchen light uses one of them, and I like the fixture enough to not want to change the whole thing.

Other than that, sometimes finding the right bulb is a bit of a challenge. My mother's place has a lot of older fixtures that use strange bulbs. There's one that's a dimable 100w incandenscent that looks like an oversized 60w bulb.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, that bugs me about halogens. I have security lights and pieces of furniture that take halogens and ONLY halogens.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Ad focus fail

Somewhat tangential, but seems to be notable, if only for a wee bit of grim humor:

I now have ads for CFC bulbs following me around on the add side bars. I'm guessing because of my search for CFC pricing information yesterday.

I guess that is Google in action. Alas, I hearken for the days when ads didn't chase me around based on mistaken information.

Thx!

TomB

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Somewhat tangential, but seems to be notable, if only for a wee bit of grim humor:

I now have ads for CFC bulbs following me around on the add side bars. I'm guessing because of my search for CFC pricing information yesterday.

I guess that is Google in action. Alas, I hearken for the days when ads didn't chase me around based on mistaken information.

Thx!

TomB

I know! I can tell how much work I've been doing by what pops up in the ad bars. If it's something network or network infrastructure related (yay SFP ads), I know I've been productive. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases