Do You Name Your Car?

Do You Name Your Car?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Do you?

Have you always done so?

In my experience, I can't recall one male friend or acquaintance who has named his car, but I can think of several females who have. Is this true among people you know or is it just me? B-)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Some of them. (And where's the poll option for that?)

My first car was a 1960 VW sedan. I never gave it a name.

When the VW stopped working, I got a used 1967 slant-six Dodge pickup, which I gave a name based on Roger Zelazny's _Isle of the Dead_. I probably wouldn't have bothered to name it if there hadn't been the presence of feminine persuasion.

When the axle came apart on the pickup, I drove my then-girlfriend's old 1971 Plymouth Valiant, which was also named -- but I didn't name that car: the girlfriend had named it.

No names yet for the used Toyota Tercel I got in the 1990s, nor for the used Ford Ranger pickup that I bought after the Tercel, using the Tercel as a trade-in.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know a few guys who have.

Personally, I did name one car. It was my parents' brand new Chevy Impala. I named it "Bob". On the creamy white leather on the back of the driver's seat.

In ink.

I was 5.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I did but only once.

It was black. It was fast. It was like driving on rails when it came to cornering. The numberplate included the letters HNU.

And thus Attila (the dylsexic Hun) was born.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't name mine, but a friend names his with our help. It started with the brown junker that he called the Brown Mech. Then it was the Bloody Mary (it was red and had some… quirks). Then it was replaced with a car that was his grandmother's and had a Jesus on the dash so it was the Holy Warrior. Then it was the yellow Camaro that became the Tequila Sunrise. Since then, his cars have been more sensible and haven't cried out for naming.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I don't, but two of min/our three cars over the years have been named by my then girlfriend and my wife respectively.

The green metallic '76 Audi 80 was named Laubfrosch (tree frog) and our '93 Toyota Carina is called Ottokar (rather obscure Gemren name which sounds very much like "auto-car"),

Dioltach

Legend
I have a yellow Seat Leon, which I sometimes call Leonie. (It started as a joke: I'd bought a ViaMichellin satnav, and decided that if I was going to following yet another woman's instructions I'd better give her a name. So the satnav became Michelle. And then the car got a name too.)

Male friends refer to my car as the "yellow canary". Female friends call it the "yellow banana".

Jhaelen

First Post
Wow, I'd have never thought it was so common to give your car a name. The thought would never occur to me. I mean, are you also naming your pc, toaster or washing machine?

Remove ads