SUNRODS - Hot Or Not??

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Yeah, their super duper chem lights!!

On another note... as I think over it more, there are no stats for damage from a torch, so the flare idea is still valid.

Hejdun

First Post
Hmmm....

At least a little hot. I would think they are akin to lightbulbs, sure, they aren't hot enough to really do damage in combat, and they don't light things on fire easily, but they are still quite hot. I always thought of Sunrods being slightly less hot than a light bulb. The golden tip is hot to the touch, and uncomfortable to be very close to (a few inches), but not lighting anything on fire or damaging anything.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd have to disagree; it's an alchemical item, and is "struck" to light, so I've always thought of it as sort of like a long-lasting flare.

Here another 'Alchemical item': Luminous Phospheresence - in real life chemistry classes you can get beakers of stuff which when shaken begin to glow (can't remember the name). Its also a natural phenomena found in sea water (caused by microscopic creatures), glowworms and Lightning Bugs.

So an Alchemist has just discovered a way to capture phospheresence in a stick and magnify to the nth degree

NO HEAT

Berandor

lunatic
It's hot, and it's a big flare.

Don't forget that it needs to be lighted; those glowsticks do not.
I think for one GP, you get a hot torch that burns 6 hours, and brighter than a torch - that's enough.

Berandor

Deadguy

First Post
Good Question!

D'you know, I always kinda assumed that the lit end of the sunrod was hot! Never assumed otherwise, just from my first reading of the item. But now I can see the point that others are making about 'chem-lights' and 'phosphorescence'. On reflection, I think I'll stick with the lit tip being hot, but also being small, not really suitable as a weapon, but capable of being used to brand someone. You think this is worth asking the Sage for a suggested ruling?

Glyfair

Explorer
Berandor said:
It's hot, and it's a big flare.

Don't forget that it needs to be lighted; those glowsticks do not.
I think for one GP, you get a hot torch that burns 6 hours, and brighter than a torch - that's enough.

Berandor

"This 1-foot-long, gold tipped, iron rod glows brightly when struck. It clearly illuminates a 30-foot radius and glows for 6 hours, after which the gold tip is burnt out and useless." There is nothing there about having to be lit.

Compare that to the torch which "burns for 1 hour" or oil which "burns for 6 hours in a lantern." Both lanterns also refer to burning oil in them. To me, it seems clear that it doesn't give off a flame because it's not described as burning, it's described as glowing.

I wouldn't have a problem with interpreting it as a "flare" as compared to a "glowstick." However, I would certainly want to be told before I wanted to use one, or bought one.

Glyfair of Glamis

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
You read my mind??

I just re-read the PHB to be sure, and I read the same paragraph you quoted... funny. (or not :))

I looked at the picture of it, and I think it's much like a torch, and not like a glowstick.
I also thought of the name "SUNrod", taking it to mean it's as bright (and hot) as the sun.
Then I read the paragraph again, reading how it "glows for 6 hrs."
GLOWS.

Very difficult.

Basically, I'd say it's not hot - yes, I convert to you.

However, because Iwant it to be hot - it's hot again.

DM power rules! ;)

Berandor

Tewligan

First Post
Lousy sunrods...

I've always assumed that sunrods aren't hot. Of course, I've also assumed that they don't exist, along with all-purpose antitoxin, thunderstones, smokesticks, tanglefoot bags, and matches/tindertwigs. Bah, of all the ridiculous...

Err, I'm sorry, I lost my focus. Um, no, they aren't hot.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases