2e wizard for the record and balance comparrasions

2e had magic items that could do the trick, and they were not uncommon in play (by way of published modules), as I recall it.

well I am 12-13 years out of practice, but I don't remember stats going up often... (I know there was str boosting belt and gloves, and I think Int and Wis had ioun stones) could you refresh my memory here

Meanwhile your 3E counterpart gets:

To use a crossbow

A selection of feats to boost casting power

The added 0 level spell slots which make many of those 1st level spells take up a lesser slot.

Access to cheap scrolls and wands meaning that getting to prep only a few spells per day is a trivial limitation.

Access to other magic items of his/her choosing that can be custom selected to boost INT or defense.

To move in the same round a spell is cast and easily avoid spell interruption.

These are all core RAW advantages before we start diving into prestige/splat based power-ups.

3e with a 16 Int has a bonus 1st, second and third level spell as well...

so he would have 3 0th level spells and 2 1st level spells he can only cast 6th level spells (because 10+ leve) but at 4th, 8th, and 12th he can up it getting a 19... that is a bonus 1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th level spell at 16th level it becomes a 20 givining him a second 1st level bonus spell...

Nagol

Unimportant
well I am 12-13 years out of practice, but I don't remember stats going up often... (I know there was str boosting belt and gloves, and I think Int and Wis had ioun stones) could you refresh my memory here

There were several items that granted Wish: 2 different rings of wishing, djinn summoning (with a lot of luck), Iron Flasks, Talisman of Zagy (with a decent CHA and some luck), Deck of Many Things (there was also a card that added directly to prime attribute), scrolls of 9th level spells -- although you'd need 10 wishes to reach 18 from 17 in 1e, I think that was relaxed in 2e.

There were also a book for each stat that would raise a point with a month's study and several artifact powers would boost stats permanently.

There were also a fair number of examples of area/special stat raising abilities/Wish-granting effects scattered in the 1e/2e modules.

Also, your mental attributes will rise as you age for a completely non-magical way to get the extra Int.

Storminator

First Post
That's what I thought you were doing. Let's see if we can get them to move it back. Maybe change the title.
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]. can you move this back to D&D?

PS

Last edited:

Ace

Adventurer
You got pretty good rolls I think.

As for a few thoughts,

#1 I'd have also gone with daggers for the aformentioned reasons.

#2 Your DM is more generous than many with HP. Now t I use "Living Greyhawk" style HP which is Max at L1 and the middle number on the die +1 which is 3 for a wizard. IIRC Living Realms may have done it this way as well for living play consistency It slightly benefits Wizard over other classes but its bascally fair IMO As also mentioned you do get a very valuable +1 on HP so at 1 you'd have 5 and at 5 you'd have 25. You might not survive your own fireball backlash so be carefull!

#3 The important stats do go up for a wizard. As mentioned 2e has aging rules and if you live that by the time you are old INT will have reached 18 and you'll have 9th level spells. IIRC there was no max for mental stat gain so you could even get a 19 at very old and be baleto auto learn all of the spells you could never learn back from the adventuring days, Also potions of longevitty and elixers of youth are not artifacts and if you can talk the GM into it, you can start making them when you can make potions as early as 9th level The former are pretty dangerous with a 1% cumulitive chance of reversing after each use though they reverse your age by 1d12 years at every go. The latter take off 1 year per use no bad effects but I am not sure they are in 2e. And yes you can give them to your buddies,

Remove ads