Getting closer the the Skynetopocaplypse

LOL, was it every bit as hilarious as I envision it? My last shop had several of those robots, as well as a lot of other robot models. The SWORDS looked cool, but that was about it.

Wasn't particularly hilarious to the 200 or so folks on the ground, when an armed robot with a full belt of ammo uploaded starts traversing on them and the guy controlling it up on the berm is banging on the controller trying to get the robot to respond.

I was standing about two rows back waiting for the SWORDS to drive forward into view -- it was going to drive up to the middle of the range and engage a series of targets -- when the crowd started surging backward, then everyone in front of and behind me broke into a run. I could see the direction the robot was traversing and was able to take one step forward and clear the line of fire. Turns out the manual safety on the gun was still on, but the crowd didn't know that.

That was a second time a remote weapon system tried to kill me. The first was at a remote weapon station demo at Ft Benning when a Stryker/CROWS 1 combination mounting an M230 30mm cannon lost control and traversed onto the bleachers while it was firing ... luckily it had expended the last round in the belt before it went haywire, which of course the observers couldn't know. The bleachers looked like someone had kicked over an anthill.

Both funny in hindsight, but you wouldn't have wanted to be there.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Wasn't particularly hilarious to the 200 or so folks on the ground, when an armed robot with a full belt of ammo uploaded starts traversing on them and the guy controlling it up on the berm is banging on the controller trying to get the robot to respond.

I was standing about two rows back waiting for the SWORDS to drive forward into view -- it was going to drive up to the middle of the range and engage a series of targets -- when the crowd started surging backward, then everyone in front of and behind me broke into a run. I could see the direction the robot was traversing and was able to take one step forward and clear the line of fire. Turns out the manual safety on the gun was still on, but the crowd didn't know that.

That was a second time a remote weapon system tried to kill me. The first was at a remote weapon station demo at Ft Benning when a Stryker/CROWS 1 combination mounting an M230 30mm cannon lost control and traversed onto the bleachers while it was firing ... luckily it had expended the last round in the belt before it went haywire, which of course the observers couldn't know. The bleachers looked like someone had kicked over an anthill.

Both funny in hindsight, but you wouldn't have wanted to be there.
Maybe you will bear John Connor!

bone_naga

Explorer
Thye might not be human, but their are intelligent. It is not ethical to kill them.

We should also negociate some sort of agree so we could ride them without using force.
Hey, don't you try to tell me what to do with MY F-35 Joint Strike Fighter in the privacy of MY own home! What are you, some sort of commie?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Hey, don't you try to tell me what to do with MY F-35 Joint Strike Fighter in the privacy of MY own home! What are you, some sort of commie?
Some sort is correct. I like to call it "neo-pinko".

Anyway, they shouldn't be let into homes. They lower the property value of the houses around.

Remove ads