Do you eat fast food,if so what do you get and where do you go?

Ragnar_Lodbrok

First Post
I try to avoid fast food. Most of it is terrible. Unless the average Mongolian grill place counts as fast food. That sort of restaurant is almost always worthwhile. The only thing that makes me likely to get it is long road trips. If I don't have enough money or time to get a decent meal, I usually just stop by a convenience store to get some relatively filling junk food or find a supermarket with a deli. Or I get some food together ahead of time.

Regarding the Chik-Fil-A tangent: I have to concur with the group that refuses to eat there because of both the management and the food.

Ahnehnois

First Post
But hearing/reading other people's opinions of restaurants over the years, my friend is not the only person who seems to think that any "chain" restaurant is crap, and fast food places are the pit of hell where they don't even serve actual, real food. What is this mentality?
The locavore movement, perhaps?

I'm not quite that strong about it, but I'm definitely anti-chain.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Wendy's, because there is one right next to where I work, and I generally like their food - maybe about once a month or so. Chik-fil-a once in a while.

I WOULD get Krystal much more often (for those of you not in the South, a Krystal is like a smaller White Castle) but the company that owns all the Krystals in the city is just... terrible at finding and training help. Go outside the city, even to the small town less than 10 minutes north of here, and it's like heaven on a bun. Every time I leave the city, I make it a point to stop at a Krystal and just enjoy.

delericho

Legend
Having, myself, implied places like Moe's and CiCi's are fast food restaurants -- though they really aren't -- I think the label "fast food restaurant" gets applied to too many places.

I dunno. "Fast food" must surely refer to food that is, well, fast - basically, anything that can be prepared quickly. So it applies equally to McDonalds, to Subway, to the street food vendors who are apparently once again becoming trendy in London, and to the tiny little pizza places I used while in Rome.

My friend complained that our city doesn't have any restaurants. I pointed out that there were probably 10 within walking distance of where we were right then sitting, and that I had eaten at one just an hour previous. He said Chili's isn't a restaurant, it's a chain, the same as every other nearby place to sit down and order and eat a meal.

Yeah, that's the problem with people using their own definitions for things. C.f. Humpty Dumpty in "Through the Looking Glass". What he was really lamenting was a lack of good restaurants.

But hearing/reading other people's opinions of restaurants over the years, my friend is not the only person who seems to think that any "chain" restaurant is crap, and fast food places are the pit of hell where they don't even serve actual, real food. What is this mentality?

The great strength of a chain restaurant is that they're essentially the same everywhere you go, or as close as they can reasonably manage. A Big Mac in Falkirk is almost identical to one in Little Rock, to one in Rennes, and to one in Rome.

The great weakness of a chain restaurant is that, in order to be successful and be the same everywhere, they have to shoot for a very wide lowest-common-denominator. That Big Mac has to appeal to (or, rather, not be rejected by) people who live in Scotland, the US, France, Italy, and anywhere else McD operate. That means that it really can't be terribly adventurous - it almost has to be rather bland in taste and texture. Honestly, it's surprising that the pickles have survived, though that might be a cunning ploy to give people something else to remove!

Compare that with a local takeaway. They're limited by the fact that their customer base is made up only of people in the local area, but at the same time they're liberated by that as well. They don't need to care that people living in the US, or Italy, or wherever else would hate the food they produce - all that matters is that people who live and work within a few miles like the food.

But even they are limited by the fact that they have to appeal to a wide enough customer base to stay open. On the other hand, if I'm preparing burgers for my own consumption, then there are exactly two people I have to please - myself and my wife. So, if I want to mess around with different meats, different spice mixes, or even adjust the cooking times and temperatures to find my perfect burger, then I'm entirely able to do so. Of course, the end result probably won't suit anyone else... but that really doesn't matter, since they're generally not going to be eating them anyway.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
On the other hand, if I'm preparing burgers for my own consumption, then there are exactly two people I have to please - myself and my wife. So, if I want to mess around with different meats, different spice mixes, or even adjust the cooking times and temperatures to find my perfect burger, then I'm entirely able to do so. Of course, the end result probably won't suit anyone else... but that really doesn't matter, since they're generally not going to be eating them anyway.

Also, you don't have to get exactly the same result twice. That's one of the joys of cooking for yourself: each meal you prepare is a one-time affair. Even if you use the same recipe as baseline, the result will differ each time you cook it.

Contrast this with the BigMac which will taste the same regardless of when and where you order it. Some call this reliable, I call it boring.

delericho

Legend
Also, you don't have to get exactly the same result twice.

Yep, good point.

Contrast this with the BigMac which will taste the same regardless of when and where you order it. Some call this reliable, I call it boring.

Yep. I do find myself wondering just how long it will be before McDonalds replace their kitchen staff with automation. I'm reasonably sure it's a question of when they do this, not if they do it.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Yep. I do find myself wondering just how long it will be before McDonalds replace their kitchen staff with automation. I'm reasonably sure it's a question of when they do this, not if they do it.
Great. Get rid of some crappy low paying jobs that virtually no one enjoys doing, and replace them with cheaper automated labor. Hopefully that happens in all kinds of industries.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
But this idea doesn't make any sense. Bad/bland food does not turn a restaurant into a chain of restaurants. People don't go to, for instance, McDonald's for bland food. They go there because they like that food, be it a Big Mac or french fries.

My mother and step-father owned and operated a restaurant in my hometown. It served homecooked-style breakfast and lunch, and did* pretty good business. Good enough that they eventually opened another location on the other side of my hometown. They cooked and served the same food, the same way in the second location because it was good in the first place and they just wanted to offer it to more people. They didn't dumb down their food to make more people happy. They didn't change their food to give more variety. Customers liked it enough at the first location, so they duplicated it in the second location.

* Past tense because after my step-father died, my mom sold the business. The restaurant is still operating, but with another owner.

Bigger chain restaurants do the same thing. People don't go to a restaurant for bland food. Yes, the food should be the same in all locations. If I like a Big Mac, and I'm in Sweden, I know I'll like the McDonald's in Sweden. If I want Swedish food, I won't go to McDonald's. I don't see this as any kind of negative for McDonald's.

(An interesting reversal of this is Coca-Cola -- Cokes are different around the world. And, to me, this seems weird and wrong.)

Chain food is not bad. If you really believe that, you're saying that so many people want to eat bad food they'll make a bad restaurant successful enough to expand. Quite frankly, that's a ridiculous belief. You're saying that either the first restaurant changed to become bad so it could become a chain, or it's food was bad but somehow was successful enough to expand.

Taco Bell gets a bad rap about it's food. I can't remember the last time I ate anything from Taco Bell, but this fact has nothing to do with the quality of their food. (I'm curious to try their Doritos taco.) But obviously some people like it a lot -- enough that the chain is a cultural icon. Saying that Taco Bell is bad is pretty insulting to all the people who like it and regularly eat from there.

I just find it very . . . snotty (can't think of a better word) for people to put down obviously popular things. I even think that 9 times out of 10, the denegrator is doing it just to seem "above the sheeple". Popular things don't get popular and stay popular for decades by being bad. McDonald's and Taco Bell aren't big chains because they're bland, pathetic food.

McDonald's has some delicious items. And I bet the Doritos taco at Taco Bell is fantastic. Dammit, now I've got to look up and see if there's a Taco Bell near me for lunch. (But I've been craving Wendy's chilli for a few days, now, because of all this snow and ice and cold.)

Bullgrit

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
People don't go to, for instance, McDonald's for bland food. They go there because they like that food, be it a Big Mac or french fries.
People got to McDonald's cause they are familiar with that sort of bland food. Get it right.

Mainly because they haven't been exposed to other stuff when young. Their parents fed them salted and sweeten food when young and they look for it now. There is a reason why McDonald's targets kids so much.

Remove ads