Hermion should have married Harry

Dioltach

Legend
I don't really understand this. So she wrote the story the way she wanted to and didn't change it for "literary" reasons? What does that mean, she didn't give in to the Harry-Hermione shippers? Now I gave up reading the series after book 5, and didn't see the last two movies, but it always struck me that Ron was the more likable of the two boys anyway, and more the type to attract a level-headed girl like Hermione. Also, the heart wants what the heart wants, and it actually always struck me as a bolder move on Rowling's part not to go for the cliché "leading male protagonist gets leading female protagonist". It gave all three main characters a bit more depth and realism, I felt.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
it actually always struck me as a bolder move on Rowling's part not to go for the cliché "leading male protagonist gets leading female protagonist". It gave all three main characters a bit more depth and realism, I felt.

I felt the same way; she didn't go 'the easy way' to put the hero with the heroine. Having them together was a great choice. I probably would have had Harry stay single, though. The whole thing with Ginny felt a bit forced, like he was 'supposed' to wind up with someone.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Except it is more realitic that alpha males end up with alpha females.

The whole "alpha" thing has been debunked, I'm afraid.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Swiss animal behaviorist Rudolph Schenkel observed captive wolves in a zoo, and extrapolated their behavior to animals in the wild, and this is where our current idea comes from. The problem is, the pack in the zoo was a horrible model for animals in the wild. David Mech, and others, have since shown that the model that has the "alpha male" becoming dominant because he's strong, aggressive, or otherwise a leader is incorrect.

In a wolf pack, the alphas are dominant not because they are strong, aggressive, leaders, or for any other particular traits. They are dominant because the pack is mostly a family unit, and they are the parents. Mom and Dad are dominant over their kids! Go figure!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I don't really understand this. So she wrote the story the way she wanted to and didn't change it for "literary" reasons? What does that mean, she didn't give in to the Harry-Hermione shippers? Now I gave up reading the series after book 5, and didn't see the last two movies, but it always struck me that Ron was the more likable of the two boys anyway, and more the type to attract a level-headed girl like Hermione. Also, the heart wants what the heart wants, and it actually always struck me as a bolder move on Rowling's part not to go for the cliché "leading male protagonist gets leading female protagonist". It gave all three main characters a bit more depth and realism, I felt.

Yeah, chalk me up to agreeing with you. Putting the main romance away from the main protagonist was, I think, a better and more interesting literary choice than matching Harry and Hermione would have been. I have no idea why Rowling would think matching Harry and Hermione would be a better literary choice.

Dungeoneer

First Post
While I agree that Hermione and Ron didn't make much sense together, I don't think Hermione and Harry would have made MORE sense. Fact is, Hermione, Harry and Ron have been friends for years by the time the books end. Realistically they would all have been squarely in each other's "friend zones" by then. I can see them pairing off early on, just to try it out, but getting married? Unlikely.

Yeah, chalk me up to agreeing with you. Putting the main romance away from the main protagonist was, I think, a better and more interesting literary choice than matching Harry and Hermione would have been. I have no idea why Rowling would think matching Harry and Hermione would be a better literary choice.

I agree Hermione-Ron is a better choice. Hermione-Neville would have been the real "out of the box" choice, though.

I find it extremely odd for JK to post "I think it's better the other way". Well, you're the author -- why didn't you write it the way you wanted? Shoot, by the point she started finalizing the relationships, she was such a sensation it really wouldn't have mattered. Some fans would be happy, and some would be unhappy no matter what the outcome.

delericho

Legend
it actually always struck me as a bolder move on Rowling's part not to go for the cliché "leading male protagonist gets leading female protagonist". It gave all three main characters a bit more depth and realism, I felt.

Yep, I agree. Hermione and Harry is the obvious choice, and so putting her with Ron was something I liked about the books. And that's assuming, of course, that she even had to end up with anyone.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The whole "alpha" thing has been debunked, I'm afraid.

In the 1930s and 1940s, Swiss animal behaviorist Rudolph Schenkel observed captive wolves in a zoo, and extrapolated their behavior to animals in the wild, and this is where our current idea comes from. The problem is, the pack in the zoo was a horrible model for animals in the wild. David Mech, and others, have since shown that the model that has the "alpha male" becoming dominant because he's strong, aggressive, or otherwise a leader is incorrect.

In a wolf pack, the alphas are dominant not because they are strong, aggressive, leaders, or for any other particular traits. They are dominant because the pack is mostly a family unit, and they are the parents. Mom and Dad are dominant over their kids! Go figure!
I'm talking about people, not wolves.

Remove ads