"Speed of Light"

Dungeoneer

First Post
Does a photon have a measurable lifespan, relative to itself? I mean, a photon that travels 1,000 light years has a lifespan of 1,000 years relative to us, the observer. But the photon traveled at c, so ... instantaneous/simultaneous beginning and end, relative to itself?

It seems to me, that if it has a measurable lifespan relative to itself, time for it isn't "stopped." But if it doesn't have a measurable lifespan relative to itself, can it be said to exist?

Also, is there any proof that time reverses at speeds beyond c? Is it just theory, (can't be proved, right)? Could it be that faster than c speed won't create a paradox?

Bullgrit
This question is even harder to answer than you think, because light is both (either?) a wave or a particle. In other words there is a quantum state such that a photon cannot be treated as a discrete particle. TomBitoni's link above is very good. I also found this clip from a BBC documentary which demonstrates the "double slit experiment" which proves this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBxlmPHcm5c

It gets weirder though - if you setup a detector in front of the slits which measures the individual photons as they pass, the light loses its wave-like properties and starts acting like a particle once more.

td;dr - the universe is mocking us.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aether is reminding me of something I read once: on a subatomic level, all sorts of tiny little particles are springing into, and out of, existence. These tiny particles can lend energy to more permanent particles, so long as that energy gets paid back.

Is this theory still plausible?

Yep. It is a standard in how we do physics these days. Mind you, stealing energy from the vacuum like that is pretty rare, and usually only short term. If you take and put back, what we at a distance will see is no change.

Does this version of an aether not affect photons because photons are, relatively speaking, too big to be affected?

Not at all. But when a photon interacts (and either gains or loses energy), it changes frequency, but not speed.

Though, to be honest, that's not a very accurate picture. An interaction on that level is more like, "Particle-antiparticle pair pops out of the vacuum. Particle absorbs photon. Particle re-emits photon. Particle-antiparticle disappear back in to the vacuum." The photon is a single quantum of energy - it doesn't do anything by half-measures.

Also, is there any proof that time reverses at speeds beyond c? Is it just theory, (can't be proved, right)? Could it be that faster than c speed won't create a paradox?

Well, here'e the thing - by the physical laws as we currently know them, moving faster than light is... nonsense. It cannot happen. In order to accelerate anything with mass to the speed of light requires literally* infinite energy. Accelerating beyond the speed of light then requires *more* than infinite energy.

The "going faster than light reverses time" is... a bit wonky, then. Rather than it being a real, physical result, it is more a statement of how silly considering it is given how the math works out - a demonstration of how a paradox arises to show how this really shouldn't happen.

And even then, not *all* travel at FTL speeds ends up with you travelling backwards in time. What we can say is that, if you can travel faster than light, it is possible to arrange a path such that you return to your starting physical position before you left it. Not that *every* path results in this, but such paths do exist. Time travel becomes possible, not mandatory.

*And not that figurative-literally popular these days, but literally literally.

Last edited:

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Something traveling faster than light would be going backwards in time in some frame of reference.

But anyways, what this would look like to the traveler, I don't know. Watching it all happen you would have something like:

You and your buddy time traveler are having a beer. All of a sudden, in a blaze of exotic particles, a near duplicate pops out along with a kind-of anti-sense buddy, at exactly the same time. The two buddies (not the anti-sense buddy!) chat for a bit, then the one who had been there for a while winks at you, activates his chrono-displacer, and at that very instant, he merges with his anti-sense copy and they both disappear.

I think the anti-sense buddy would be made of anti-matter, from our point of view, but am not sure.

It's strange that no depiction of time travel uses a continuous movement through time, making the activity both travel backwards and discontinuous.

Thx!

TomB

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
uneducated ramblingings

Could there be a "terminal velocity of mass-less particles" that is some 300,000,000[+/- a few] meters/second? Just as there is a terminal velocity in Earth atmosphere that is slower then in the vacuum of space based on things such as wind resistance of the object, could there be a terminal velocity of light and similar particles? Am I making sense?

I think I understand what you mean.

"Terminal velocity" is what you get when an object has a force upon it, and it feeling some resistance. The object accelerates to the point that the motive force is balanced by resistance, and that's its terminal velocity.

Problem is, photons aren't being pushed by a motive force, and aren't feeling a resistance. Specifically we used to think they moved through the "aether" that might provide resistance, and experiments have been done to show there is no aether. They don't start slow and speed up. As far as can be told, they just *always* move that fast. So, the analogy doesn't seem to apply.

Ok, I am kinda picking up on what you are saying, but what if there is a general, all encompassing, here-to-fore unmeasured or even searched for, gravitational force pulling on the photons that prevent the photons from going faster. As for photons, I have to ask, that, is it because they are massless that allows them to be simultaneously created and at c at that same instant?

Does it matter if it is one of those new Dyson DC54s? With the bag-less cyclone technology they can really suck, that's got to make the light travel faster surely.
Dysons are ok, but its the electrolux that really sucks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One important thing to understand is that this is all complex equations put into simple layman's terms. When we spot what we feel is a logical flaw - it's not. It's an English language flaw. The equations are good; the crappy language we try to use to explain them conversationally does not cone close to accurately explaining these things.

If you've spotted a 'flaw' in the Fisher Price explanation, you've only spotted a weakness in the English language. You haven't spotted a flaw in the 90-page paper full of equations that that sentence is poorly attempting to analogise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's a very good point.

Bullgrit

It's something I see a lot. Folks say "oh, well, if x is y, I posit z!" (often in a "my logic trumps centuries of scientific theory!" kinda way) when what they're arguing against is a sentence they read somewhere which is a crappy rough attempt to translate 90 pages of equations into a simple English concept in one sentence. If there's a flaw, it's likely in that sentence; the 90 pages of equations may well have a flaw, but it won't be deduced from that English sentence - all that will be deduced is that a sentence is a crappy way to communicate 90 pages of equations.

I say this knowing full well that I understand the basic concepts of many popular scientific theories, but if you asked me to explain the equations I couldn't even begin to try. I certainly can't point at a flaw in those equations.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Does a photon have a measurable lifespan, relative to itself? I mean, a photon that travels 1,000 light years has a lifespan of 1,000 years relative to us, the observer. But the photon traveled at c, so ... instantaneous/simultaneous beginning and end, relative to itself?
A photon is infinitely long-lived (it can't decay into anything), which is perfectly consistent with having time stopped. ;)

But, we don't actually observe the singularity. Isn't observation limited to up to (but not quite including) the event horizon?

From one point of view, that could be turned into an argument that the event horizon is the entire structure of the black hole. The history of particles which have fallen into the hole seem to be contained in the topology of the surface.

Whether the singularity exists becomes a pragmatic choice: Thinking about black holes is a lot simpler if a particular interior structure is presumed, and, generally, scientists rather prefer to keep models as simple as possible.

It's a bit trickier than that. According to general relativity, if you are falling into a black hole, you don't notice that there's anything unusual about the horizon at all. So, other than tidal forces, which might or might not be noticeable outside the horizon (depending on the size of the black hole), you don't notice anything weird at all until you hit the singularity. This is part of the difficulty understanding Hawking radiation in black holes.

A question that I've had about light transmission is whether we could model this as discrete events, with the only physical events being the emission and absorption, with the absorption delayed according to the intervening distance, much as we would do if running a discrete event simulator, and sort-of what is done when rendering a scene: We compute the paths that light will follow, and render only the final point reached by light.

That's one way of thinking about quantum mechanics (whether of light or not), but you actually have to compute all possible paths between the two events.

Though, to be honest, that's not a very accurate picture. An interaction on that level is more like, "Particle-antiparticle pair pops out of the vacuum. Particle absorbs photon. Particle re-emits photon. Particle-antiparticle disappear back in to the vacuum." The photon is a single quantum of energy - it doesn't do anything by half-measures.
This is a common and pretty good way of explaining things. However, a more accurate way of explaining it in simple language has been put forward by Matthew Strassler (I recommend his blog very highly if you are interested in particle physics). Virtual particles aren't really particles. The idea of particle/wave duality has come up in this thread already. Virtual particles are better describe as packets of wave rather than particles, so it's more like a photon goes along, dissolves into a lump of electron wave, and then reforms. And it does this constantly.

Well, here'e the thing - by the physical laws as we currently know them, moving faster than light is... nonsense. It cannot happen. In order to accelerate anything with mass to the speed of light requires literally* infinite energy. Accelerating beyond the speed of light then requires *more* than infinite energy.

Just to add about something weird. Umbran is perfectly correct for anything with real mass. It is perfectly mathematically consistent to have a particle with imaginary mass (as in square root of -1) that can only travel faster than light. These are called tachyons. However, in our current understanding of particle physics, tachyons are not stable particles but instead represent an instability, like sitting on the top of a hill is unstable to falling down the hill.

And even then, not *all* travel at FTL speeds ends up with you travelling backwards in time. What we can say is that, if you can travel faster than light, it is possible to arrange a path such that you return to your starting physical position before you left it. Not that *every* path results in this, but such paths do exist. Time travel becomes possible, not mandatory.
Spot on.

Something traveling faster than light would be going backwards in time in some frame of reference.

But anyways, what this would look like to the traveler, I don't know. Watching it all happen you would have something like:
The time traveler would always think that he/she is traveling forward in time, despite ending up in the past of when he/she left. It is a continuous process. That's the weird bit.

Scott DeWar said:
Ok, I am kinda picking up on what you are saying, but what if there is a general, all encompassing, here-to-fore unmeasured or even searched for, gravitational force pulling on the photons that prevent the photons from going faster. As for photons, I have to ask, that, is it because they are massless that allows them to be simultaneously created and at c at that same instant?
All I can say is that the mathematics work perfectly if there are no forces acting on the photons. You're precisely right that it is their masslessness that makes them move at speed c at all times, including as soon as they are created.

Morrus said:
It's something I see a lot. Folks say "oh, well, if x is y, I posit z!" (often in a "my logic trumps centuries of scientific theory!" kinda way) when what they're arguing against is a sentence they read somewhere which is a crappy rough attempt to translate 90 pages of equations into a simple English concept in one sentence. If there's a flaw, it's likely in that sentence; the 90 pages of equations may well have a flaw, but it won't be deduced from that English sentence - all that will be deduced is that a sentence is a crappy way to communicate 90 pages of equations.
Morrus, I can't tell you how much I, as a physicist, appreciate that you understand this and wrote it in this thread. I (and many many physicists) deal with this kind of logic all the time, and it is sometimes very difficult to get people to understand that mathematics is required. It's the same thing with the new paper by Hawking that has been a big deal in the press recently. It's a nice idea (which is actually very similar in some ways to what other people have done), but it's right now impossible to evaluate because there is no math (though other people's similar ideas are fleshed out mathematically). Physics can only be properly understood with a grasp of the mathematics involved. That's why Newton had to invent (or co-invent) calculus to describe planetary motion. I think it's possible to get an idea of what's happening with an explanation in words, but a full understanding and the ability to do physics simply requires a lot of math.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
freyar said:
I (and many many physicists) deal with this kind of logic all the time, and it is sometimes very difficult to get people to understand that mathematics is required.
This is why I ask these kinds of questions. Because I want to understand how it all works, not because I think I've found a flaw. When I see a "logical flaw" in physics, I figure I just need to have it explained more/better, not that I'm the first person to see the "flaw."

And I'm very thankful to have people here who are able and willing to take the time to explain things more and better (mo' betta) to me. I love science, but I'm only a layman, and many papers and books are written above my level. Having peers, like here, who can explain things to my level without making me feel like a complete moron is quite lovely.

Bullgrit

Remove ads