Popular culture vs. niche culture

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Yeah, I would expect most people to know who Lex Luthor is.

But everyone has gaping holes in their popular knowledge--it's not what everybody knows, but what is common that people know.

You just miss things. You either filter it out because of disinterest, or you were randomly never exposed to it.

ggroy

First Post
But everyone has gaping holes in their popular knowledge--it's not what everybody knows, but what is common that people know.

You just miss things. You either filter it out because of disinterest, or you were randomly never exposed to it.

Definitely.

When I was younger, my mind was focused like a laser on my studies and later my career. When I had a sudden huge lull in my career due to unforeseen circumstances, I came to the realization that I had a huge 15+ year "gap" in my knowledge of popular culture.

Other than the really popular stuff (such as the Star Wars prequels, American Idol, 9-11-2001, Beavis and Butthead, etc ...), I was largely ignorant of stuff from the 1990's through to the mid-2000's.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
What horrific North Korean labor camp do you work in?

The worst part is that managing Muzak's output was one of my tasks in my previous role. In short, it's a lot my fault that the music is what it is. That said, it's the best it can possibly be. Luckily, where I sit now the guys have chosen to shut the Muzak speakers off. We're not supposed to but I don't care. It's awesome.

I've met a large number of people who have never heard of Dr. Who,

Those lucky bleepin' bastards.

The worst part is that managing Muzak's output was one of my tasks in my previous role. In short, it's a lot my fault that the music is what it is. That said, it's the best it can possibly be. Luckily, where I sit now the guys have chosen to shut the Muzak speakers off. We're not supposed to but I don't care. It's awesome.
So you've been getting paid to torture people? How did you manage that gig?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Paul McCartney was Lex Luthor???

I worked with a woman whose father was a music teacher. Here is a conversation we had.

Me: Can you name all four Beatles?
Her: Of course, duh. Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, and Elton John.
Me: Elton John?
Her: Yeah. He was the one who played the piano.

Remove ads