Today's Bill Cosby?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I watched a Louis CK video the other day because I've seen funny quotes by him around the Internet. Sadly, overall, I didn't find him very funny. Too much of his humor is either based on unreal premises, (for something to be funny, it has to be based on fact/truth -- even Monty Python's humor is based on fact/truth). Plus, his schtick goes a bit too far, (for sharing with my kids).

I'd love to find a good contemporary comedian to share with my kids. Going back to my youth: someone like Bill Cosby or Sinbad, not George Carlon or Redd Foxx. Who's the current master(s) of "clean" comedy?

Bullgrit

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I watched a Louis CK video the other day because I've seen funny quotes by him around the Internet. Sadly, overall, I didn't find him very funny. Too much of his humor is either based on unreal premises, (for something to be funny, it has to be based on fact/truth -- even Monty Python's humor is based on fact/truth). Plus, his schtick goes a bit too far, (for sharing with my kids).

I'd love to find a good contemporary comedian to share with my kids. Going back to my youth: someone like Bill Cosby or Sinbad, not George Carlon or Redd Foxx. Who's the current master(s) of "clean" comedy?

Bullgrit
Wut?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
George Carlin may not be 'clean', but nobody does insightful better. How old are your kids? A little taste of the real world might be what they need.

I don't know modern comedians at all, but what's wrong with the originals? Bill Cosby's old stuff is timeless, for the most part.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Michael McIntyre is stupidly popular, though very mainstream. I think he's what you're after. He plays massive arenas and stuff these days.

I'm more a Stewart Lee fan, but he's not kid friendly.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
First of all, Louis CK is amazingly insightful and fantastically funny. True story.

Second, if you want clean he's totally not your guy. Try Bob Sagat - you know, the guy from Full House. He does a lot of stand up and he's pretty ok. Ok, he's mediocre but he can be funny every now and then.

Third, I think I have the perfect comic for you - and no, it's not Bob Sagat. For the love of god, don't check out anything he's done in the stand up world with your kids in the room - it was a joke! Anyhoo, a really clean guy that's also pretty funny is Brian Regan. Really, check him out. I think you'll like his stuff. And ... really, really stay away from Sagat.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
To go back a few years for clean comedians: Jerry Clower. He has some amazingly funny stories taken from his days growing up in Depression-era Mississippi.

First of all, Louis CK is amazingly insightful and fantastically funny. True story.

Agreed Infinity%

I saw a Bill Cosby special recently, and it was funny, but partly, IMO because we know his "character". Also, his age shows in his current comedy ("old-timey" humor)

He is not clean, but Chris Rock is also incredibly gifted, a modern-day philosopher.

Jerry Seinfeld is still funny and 100% clean. I haven't watched it in a while, but his "comedians in cars getting coffee" web series was good.

If you haven't seen it, I greatly recommend a special with Ricky Gervais, Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock and Louis CK. It's a 40-minute conversation about stand-up and it's hilarious.

In a totally different vein, I saw a coupe of Tig Notaro sketches recently and it was funny, if a little weird.

George Carlin and Richard Pryor are dirty classics but still very relevant.

Dmitri Martin is clean and funny.

AR

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases