[OOC] The First Age of Man

Piston Honda

First Post
An age is coming to an end in Orina.

For the people of this world, life is difficult, for the past few centuries, they have struggled to not only survive in a dangerous ice age, but to survive those cruel orcs who have thrived in the cold days. Most people are nomadic in this dangerous world, keeping away from the watchful eyes of the masters of the age, seeking whatever temporary shelter they can find near food.

You have lived your entire life in this valley, known as Reshturuk, the Valley of Tusks. You’ve seen friends and family enslaved or killed by the Orcs. You have grown tired of the savagery you have seen wrought upon your people. You have learned more than survival, you have learned to fight back.

[sblock=About]
I haven’t DM’d in far too long, and I’m looking to get back into it. Essentially the campaign I’m looking to run focuses on survival in dangerous times and world building, there are currently no permanent safe settlements, metal is a rarity, and with mostly nomadic cultures, finding anyone to work with it is probably more rare. There’s quite a bit of homebrew here to give a theme of survival and discovery. This campaign will also be run under the P6 rules, as this should help the characters be a more powerful presence sooner in levels.

I am looking for 4-5 players. I expect to start by the end of the month (most of the delay on my part is me fussing with Mapping programs).

Where is this going?

The primary goal will be finding and creating a safe-haven and bringing survivors together, if things work and people enjoy it, this has long-term potential.

Potentially, the world could be built around your characters. You could be the heroes who bring your people together, drive out the Orcs from the region and begin building a kingdom. You could be the heroes legends are spoken of, whether true or exceeding your deeds for millenia; you could be the heroes one day memorialized only in mysterious stone statues in the middle of an ancient forest. Your names could exist in the names of a hundred cities across the realms.

Another potential way this goes is for this to serve as one in a series of uprisings, word of your deeds could travel far, even should you fail, perhaps you serve as the martyrs others need.[/sblock]

[sblock=Character Creation]Level 1

20-point build

Max HP at first level, choice of roll or average + 1 at additional levels

Any Core Class but Monk, other classes at GM discretion

2 Traits

Starting equipment:
A simple (simple or martial, no exotic) weapons, simple armor (Leather, cloth or Hide), two simple treasure (non-magical, these can be items that you have scavenged or perhaps an heirloom – value not to exceed 10gp each, and GM discretion here), travelling clothes, 3 days worth of food, Vial of an herbal medicine (functions as cure light wounds), 3d4 bronze pieces, Waterskin, belt and backpack.

Expand upon the immediate world in your background, add some sort of landmark. You live in a very large valley that’s been in a wintry state for generations. There are several streams and a large lake that’s mostly frozen in the northern part, the water flows from a large waterfall in the south, amidst the part of the valley that is green in warmer months. As you go further north there are mostly coniferous forests. There are also Orcish settlements about the valley. What do your people call these places, perhaps the elders have passed down names.

Deities, most people revere an entire pantheon, particularly the All-Father, I actually have a long list of deities for this world, you can probably name something your character seeks an individual god of and I will fill that in for you. You are welcome to determine some of the religious rites if you are a divine character.

Every one will be the same race. Most peoples of Orina only know of the existence of their race, and the Orcs. Sentient creatures will be completely alien to them. I'll let you guys determine the race.[/sblock]

[sblock=House Rules]Int above 12 or a rank in linguistics is required to read. Books and other forms of written communication aren’t exactly common.

Since other races are foreign to you, any extra languages will be reserved for the chance you should encounter them. Languages will also require some time to learn them once you decide on them, whether through study if possible or likely exposure.

Survival is a class skill for any class, it will likely be necessary to feed yourselves.

There are no attack penalties on improvised weapons, they are however, likely to be more frail than regular weapons.

Single-use magic items always do full potential (A potion shouldn’t be a crapshoot rule)

Invisible Castle for Dice Rolls.

We will use a Dark Sun style system for Weapon breakage, see below.

I will occasionally ask for a d20 roll, I'll apply modifiers but this is to not give anything away (it's obvious something is up if I just ask for a Perception or Knowledge roll).

I tend to give unique bonus traits based on character backgroun.d[/sblock]

[sblock=Weapon Breakage]Nonmetal weapons take 2 damage on a Natural 1.

Nonmetal and rusted weapons are damaged on a roll of 2-5.

Metal weapons are damaged on a Natural 1.

Bone and wood weapons can take 3 damage, stone 4, metal 5.

Thrown weapons break nearly automatically on a 1 to 5, an iron thrown weapon breaks after 2 critical failures.

Ranged ammunition breaks on anything less than a 10..

Ranged weapons also suffer damage on a 1 to 5, generally a matter of a broken string.

All numbers are based on the natural dice roll before modifiers. Yes, the broken weapon rate might be high, but it's reasonably easy to scavenge for them.[/sblock]

[sblock=The Nature of Magic and Spell Failure]Arcane Magic of Orina is runic in nature, a character must find or learn runes in some way.

Sorcerors have an advantage of learning them through prophetic visions, wizards must discover runes, often being required to carve them on anything they can, but can keep as many runes as they can find and fit on an object.

Divine is granted through divine visions as well. Clerics and Paladins require a holy symbol.

Druidic magic is learned through trance-like meditation on the mysteries of nature.

Bardic magic is performance based, often a result of focused composition.

Because most magic is completely unknown to these characters there is a chance of failure when using new spells equal to the spell level x 10 on a d100. This chance is reduced by 5 for each success, 1 for a failure.

The spell isn’t actually wasted in this event, generally there was an error in the rune drawing or verbal parts of the spells. Any starting magic is assumed to have been practiced.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Interest]
Shayuri
Axel
- Ranged Fighter or Druid
Voda Vosa - Melee Fighter
MasqueradingVampire - Witch

[/sblock]

[sblock=Currency]
Not frequently used, as most people trade resources directly, bronze is the base for most currency.

1 Oz. Iron or other metal scrap = Approximately 1/10th of a Bronze Piece
Bronze pieces
1 Oz. Silver = 10 Bronze Pieces
1 Oz. Gold = 100 Bronze Pieces
[/sblock]

[sblock=addendums]
Updated House Rules, bonus traits and requested d20 rolls.

Updated character creation rules, simple or martial weapons may be chosen, no exotic or crossbows.

Updated weapon breakage rules for ranged attacks.

Added currency standards
[/sblock]

Links:
Campaign Wiki
IC Thread
Rogue's Gallery Thread

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Wow, this sounds really cool. Fun stuff always seems to come up when I'm at my limit of games. ;) I hope you get a good showing of interest.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Expressing tentative interest. :)

Questions...

1. Rune magic - could a wizard utilize runes by scarring or tattooing them on their body?

2. P6 - Is it just that level advancement stops or are there other changes to levels below 6?

3. Other classes - Would a witch be ok? (Seems to fit the flavor)

4. Race - Does all the same race mean no half-breeds? (For example, if the group picks human, could someone play a half-orc?)

Speaking of race, my suggestion is human as it keeps things simple.

Axel

First Post
[OOC] The First Age of Man (Recruiting Now)

Sounds brilliant! I'd love to put my hat in the ring for this one - gritty survival games are cool.

My thoughts are running in two directions PV wise... First is a fighter, archer archetype. Works with his mind, making ambushes and traps (ranger seemed too obvious and bit quite where I was wanting). Views melee combat as savage and bestial, having watched enough Orc raids. Takes his family duties and protection of the tribe seriously. Hunts in his spare time.

Second is an outsider, a Druid. Those that become Druids are left for the ice to claim as babies. Reasons range from physically flawed (extra toes or a poorly shaped birthmark) to simply an unnecessary extra mouth. On the fringes of civilisation, Druids are spat on and reviled for their common deformities (as much frostbite related as birth), yet keep true the secrets and history of the old world.

Piston Honda

First Post
Expressing tentative interest. :)

Questions...

1. Rune magic - could a wizard utilize runes by scarring or tattooing them on their body?

2. P6 - Is it just that level advancement stops or are there other changes to levels below 6?

3. Other classes - Would a witch be ok? (Seems to fit the flavor)

4. Race - Does all the same race mean no half-breeds? (For example, if the group picks human, could someone play a half-orc?)

Speaking of race, my suggestion is human as it keeps things simple.

1. Absolutely, as long as he can read them to prepare them.

2. There are a few changes there, a few feats revised, namely making leadership accessible below 7th level, some spell lists revised. The P6 system also allows continued improvement of a level 6 character through Epic Advancement.

3. Yes that fits in well.

4. No half-breeds. It's almost guaranteed they would have been born to an Orcish settlement, where they would not have been kept alive.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Then I shall play either a witch or a wizard, depending on what will fit the group best and where my whimsy ends up taking me. A woman with a heart of ice, perhaps apprenticed to a vengeful Ice Queen, who has escaped her cruel mistress, but carries with her the lessons of bitterness and frigidity.

Piston Honda

First Post
Sounds brilliant! I'd love to put my hat in the ring for this one - gritty survival games are cool.

My thoughts are running in two directions PV wise... First is a fighter, archer archetype. Works with his mind, making ambushes and traps (ranger seemed too obvious and bit quite where I was wanting). Views melee combat as savage and bestial, having watched enough Orc raids. Takes his family duties and protection of the tribe seriously. Hunts in his spare time.

Second is an outsider, a Druid. Those that become Druids are left for the ice to claim as babies. Reasons range from physically flawed (extra toes or a poorly shaped birthmark) to simply an unnecessary extra mouth. On the fringes of civilisation, Druids are spat on and reviled for their common deformities (as much frostbite related as birth), yet keep true the secrets and history of the old world.

Both cool concepts, I dig the overall concept on Druids, even if you don't run one, this is good canon stuff.

Then I shall play either a witch or a wizard, depending on what will fit the group best and where my whimsy ends up taking me. A woman with a heart of ice, perhaps apprenticed to a vengeful Ice Queen, who has escaped her cruel mistress, but carries with her the lessons of bitterness and frigidity.

"Apprenticed" likely wouldn't be the word. People are nomadic, typically moving with the wild game/where the Orcs aren't, mostly living in tribes that are lucky to get into the double digits in number with most of the people focused entirely on necessary survival skills.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
[OOC] The First Age of Man (Recruiting Now)

Thanks for the feedback. I must admit to leaning toward the Druid concept, but would be willing to take the other route for party diversity.

Let me have a sit and think about this PC, and the Druids in the game. Should be able to get back to you tonight with more details.

Race wise, I'd go human. It makes life easier to understand. Still, any land going bipedal race would work. Dwarves with no metal could be an interesting twist...

Shayuri

First Post
Sounds like we could use some muscle, but I'm not too interested in a beat'em'up class.

Maybe a summoner?

Hm.

I will think on this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases