[OOC] The First Age of Man

Piston Honda

First Post
Piston, is a compass okay for a treasure?

I was thinking it was something that Niraya's father found when he was out foraging once long ago...perhaps in one of those old ruins, or in a crumbling lockbox that had been half-exposed by a recent rain. They don't really know what it is, but they've figured out that the little needle always points one way, which has obvious utility regardless.

Not sure what the other treasure is. Maybe some silk rope or something...going over the giant, huge list of nonmagic equipment now. :)

That'd be fine, you won't be able to read the characters on it, regardless of whether or not your character can read. ;)

Shayuri

First Post
Indeed! They will know it always points 'that way.' The significance of 'that way' is lost on them, but they know it's always that direction.

So it's still useful as a navigational aid.

Hm. Cold weather gear might be nice too...or a 1 person tent...those'd both fit in the 10gp range.

So is a bronze piece roughly equivalent in buying power to a 'gold piece.'? Or a silver piece? Just in terms of selecting starting gear from the list.

Piston Honda

First Post
Indeed! They will know it always points 'that way.' The significance of 'that way' is lost on them, but they know it's always that direction.

So it's still useful as a navigational aid.

Hm. Cold weather gear might be nice too...or a 1 person tent...those'd both fit in the 10gp range.

So is a bronze piece roughly equivalent in buying power to a 'gold piece.'? Or a silver piece? Just in terms of selecting starting gear from the list.

Roughly a silver piece.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay...do we start with anything else? Like...a waterskin? Flint and steel?

Even these things are a gp, which places it outside of our starting budget, but are pretty basic pieces of equipment. :)

Last edited:

Piston Honda

First Post
Prices are so screwy. There are spears you can get for a gold piece. Grumble.

A waterskin and belt / basic pack of some sort can be assumed as things characters would have. Since nearly everyone travels, tribes use every part of an animal possible. And it’s assumed with a simple survival check you can get a fire going with rocks or sticks, so flint and steel are unnecessary. Anything that would be part of the wandering lifestyle that is more exotic in vanilla D&D and is a bit overpriced, just bring it up here, it’ll likely be cheaper if it’s something that can be made easily.

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe. There's a definite 'tilt' in the costs towards the things adventurers need most...and of course, it's all there on the assumption that once you get to 2nd or 3rd level, most mundane equipment is so effectively cheap that its cost is negligible, so there's not a lot of effort put into getting the specific cost of a 1sp bedroll economically realistic, when adventurers have hundreds of GP in expected wealth by level 2. :)

Okay, I've updated Niraya's character sheet with inventory.

Thanks for the clarifications, Piston!

Piston Honda

First Post
Hehe. There's a definite 'tilt' in the costs towards the things adventurers need most...and of course, it's all there on the assumption that once you get to 2nd or 3rd level, most mundane equipment is so effectively cheap that its cost is negligible, so there's not a lot of effort put into getting the specific cost of a 1sp bedroll economically realistic, when adventurers have hundreds of GP in expected wealth by level 2. :)

Okay, I've updated Niraya's character sheet with inventory.

Thanks for the clarifications, Piston!

Yeah, makes it a pain to translate into a bartering economy where most people are self-sufficient and much more interested in you bringing them some fresh game than a handful of coins.

In case anyone else needs clarification on anything, I'll be out of town over the weekend, I did not collapse under the weight of looking for all the silly little things.

Probably.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I’m going to have to veto quite a bit here, Rich Parents in the setting would mean that your family has its own personal goat. So, swap that feat out. Remember that metal is extremely scarce, if you went with a grappling hook or a crowbar as a treasure, they would likely be rusted and fragile as blacksmithing is a lost art, the grappling hook could potentially be bone, but would still be at risk for breakage.

I’m also not sure how your HP worked out to 26.

Your word is final, but I would like to explain my ideas first a little more throughoutly:
I took rich parents to give some sense of leadership/nobility/fame to the character. I thought of him as the son of a tribe leader, who has been passing the sword/whatever from father to son, with the knowledge of how to preserve it, being the symbol of the tribe chief/leader. So anyeays, wanted to explain it a little more, no problem at all if you decide to veto it regardless
The crowbad and grappling hook I assumed would be either wooden or stone.
I still didn't, just put a number there. Will correct.

Axel

First Post
[OOC] The First Age of Man (Recruiting Now)

Siblings might be a stretch... Cousins could work (fathers were brothers?). Would mean you don't have to lie quite so much, I guess.

Shayuri

First Post
Well, she wouldn't be lying to your character. She'd be lying to the other characters. And you'd need to lie too, or expose her as lying.

Or...oh, maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Are you saying that you'd be a family member from a different tribe? Like her dad's brother moved away one day to join another tribe? Or maybe her dad's sister married into another tribe...whichever...

Because if so...that'd be interesting. That'd give another layer to the whole thing, for sure...since she'd basically be claiming that other relatives of yours were all killed. Hee hee...

Remove ads