The Best National Flag

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
re: flag of greenland sybolism

is it because of the land of the midnight sun thing?

Kinda.

It's the sunset over Greenland: the circle is the setting sun, the white is the icey landscape, and the red is the sunset's light reflecting in the sea. Although the real (political) reason for the red is a nod to Denmark (it's the same shade of red as the danish flag).

That flag btw narrowly won out in an national election over a more traditional scandinavian flag, a white cross on a green background. :p

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I seem to recall reading about that somewhere in a wiki, a very narrow margin I am to understand.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
It was basically a vote-off between a nationalistic pro-independance side (that won) and a more conservative pro-Denmark side (green scandinavian flag).

This was not the first election on the matter (there were *a lot* of flags in the running), but it was the first with a clear (if narrow) winner.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Kaodi said:
I know that. I just did not feel like adding a proviso explicitly stating " But I know they cannot change the number. "
Did you know that the 13 stripes (red and white) represent the original 13 colonies?

Bullgrit

Dioltach

Legend
On the subject of the Union Jack if Scotland declares independence, two articles on the BBC site about possible alternative designs.

You know, I'm beginning to think there might be an audience for "Dr. Sheldon Cooper Presents Fun with Flags" after all.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Not true: both Switzerland and Vatican City have square flags. (Yes, I know that squares are, strictly speaking, rectangles.)
I'm not sure if I'd said it was the only non-quadrilateral flag it would have been any clearer on the whole. The point is, it's different.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases