The Lego Movie

Janx

Hero
Beware of Trolls.

The movie is fun. Of course, I still like Legos at 40, so maybe I'm biased. Was fun being in the theaters, and having 50-od kids quoting the bits that were in the trailer.

Good, fun, silly movie. Plenty of jokes for the adults, plenty of silly for the kids, and some nice subversive comments about a structured society. The only message is one that can be found in the Toy Story movies. Excuse me, I have to find a 2x4 flat aqua.

Well if you liked it, it has to be good. You never like anything :)

Glad it sounds fun. That keeps it on the radar for tomorrow

Janx

Hero
It's not three separate titles. I don't know why he wrote it like that. The movie is called "101 Dalmations Die Hard in Robocop".

That made me chuckle.

@VB:
Robocop features a mega-corporation using its power to take over policing, so it can then get away with stuff
101 Dalmations features Cruella Deville, the super rich crazy women who wants a new furcoat made of puppies
Die Hard features an example of 80's excess in corporate life (the exec snorting coke in the bathroom)

Die Hard is sort of less like the others, in that the rich execs don't play a villain role in the movie, but they are not portrayed favorably either.

Anyway, that disucssion line's a bit off topic, my fault for wandering that way.

I'm just stoked to see Will Arnett play Batman. In Lego.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
That made me chuckle.

@VB:
Robocop features a mega-corporation using its power to take over policing, so it can then get away with stuff
101 Dalmations features Cruella Deville, the super rich crazy women who wants a new furcoat made of puppies
Die Hard features an example of 80's excess in corporate life (the exec snorting coke in the bathroom)

Die Hard is sort of less like the others, in that the rich execs don't play a villain role in the movie, but they are not portrayed favorably either.

Anyway, that disucssion line's a bit off topic, my fault for wandering that way.

I'm just stoked to see Will Arnett play Batman. In Lego.

Ah, but in Die Hard the baddies are obviously well funded and what are they after again? Oh yeah, money. They're even willing to kill for it. :p

sabrinathecat

Explorer
How many movies can have Gandalf and Dumbledor side by side? Doesn't that break some law of physics? And have Green Lantern and Superman in the same place as C-3PO. And show Bat Man as a thief?
Heck, in how many movies can BatMan -- sorry, almost posted a spoiler. (Ok, not much of one).
I hadn't seen a Fabuland brick since the early 80s. Lego geeks don't like to talk about those, it seems.

There were a couple of pre-movie funnies. It was hillarious that the KIA was trying to cash in on the Matrix coolness with their car commercial. They're only what... 10 years too late?
There was also an ad for season 2 of House of Cards. I'm sorry, but that is not something that should be advertised with a kids movie.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
[MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION]

Ah, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were naming examples of movies who portrayed rich people but weren't anti-capitalistic. I don't really see either Die Hard or 101 Dalmatians as anti-capitalistic per se (despite having rich people as villains etc), but Robocop definitely is blatantly anti-capitalistic. Which was my point. Which turns out does not contradict your post.

Janx

Hero
[MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION]

Ah, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were naming examples of movies who portrayed rich people but weren't anti-capitalistic. I don't really see either Die Hard or 101 Dalmatians as anti-capitalistic per se (despite having rich people as villains etc), but Robocop definitely is blatantly anti-capitalistic. Which was my point. Which turns out does not contradict your post.

It's all in how one chooses to see the message I suppose. For instance, having now seen the Lego Movie, the "Lord Business is an anti-capitalism jab" is absolute nonsense. In the context of the movie, that's not why that's his name.

We liked the movie. it was fun. We listened to Everything is Awesome on the ride home. But not for 5 hours :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases