[OOC] The Fifth City

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Excellent! Any ideas on the mentor? Here are a couple of suggestions that will fit the overall story of the campaign...

A high-ranking member of the Corps who, after finishing your character's training, was assigned to a secret division of the Corps...your character has heard rumors but nothing concrete...something about enhancing inherent magical ability.

OR

A high-ranking member of the Corps who is a member of the enforcement branch of the Corps. Non-magical folk distrust mages and so the Corps is left to police itself. The rules are quite strict...to protect the mundanes of course.

ouch. both are realllly good ideas. Let me sleep on it!

Sound byte: "Mages? we don't need no stinkin' mages!"

Scotley

Hero
Here's an early draft of the young detective. I still have a lot of work to do. How much starting money do we have. I assumed max hp at first level.

Felix Reeve

Male Human
Rogue 1 0 exp.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Height: 6'1”
Weight: 150 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Patron Deity: ?

Str: 12 (+1) [4 points]
Dex: 16 (+3) [10 points]
Con: 12 (+1) [4 points]
Int: 12 (+1) [4 points]
Wis: 10 (+0) [2 points]
Cha: 15 (+2) [8 points]

Hit Dice: 1d6+1 HP: 7
AC: 15 (2 armor, +3 Dex,) or 15 (+1 Two-Weap. Def.)
Flat Footed 12,
Touch 13 or 14 (+1 2-Weap. Def.)
Init: +3 [+3 Dex]
Speed: 30ft
Armor Check Penalty: 0
Arcane Spell Failure: 10%

Saves:
Fortitude +1 [+0 base, +1 Con]
Reflex +5 [+2 base, +3 Dex]
Will +0 [+0 base, +0 Wis.]

BAB: +0
Melee Attack: +1
Rapier +1 (-1/-1 two-weapon), 1d6+1 P
Short Sword +1 (-1/-1 two-weapon), 1d6+1 Dmg, 19-20/x2 P
Dagger +1 (-1/-1), 1d4+1 Dmg. 19-20/x2 P or S
Sap +1 1d6+1 non-lethal B
Club +1 (-1/-1 two-weapon) 1d6+1 Dmg 20/x2 B

Ranged Attack: +3
Dagger Thrown +3 1d4+1 19-20/x2 P or S r 10’
Club Thrown +3 1d6+1 20/x2 B r 10’

Racial Abilities:
•Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
•Human base land speed is 30 feet.
•1 extra feat at 1st level.
•4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
•Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
•Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Class Abilities
•Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

•Trapfinding: Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.

Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.

Skills:
Rogue: 8x1+5(+4 Human)(+1 Int.)=13
Appraise +1 [0 ranks, +1 Int.]
Balance +3 [0 ranks, +3 Dex. ]
Bluff +2 [1 ranks, +1 Cha.]
Climb +1 [0 ranks, +1 Str.]
Diplomacy +2 [1 rank, +1 Cha.]
Disable Device +4 [1 ranks, +1 Int.+2 item]
Disguise +2 [1 ranks, +1 Cha.]
Escape Artist +3 [0 ranks, +3 Dex.]
Forgery +1 [0 ranks, +1 Int.]
Gather Information +2 [1 ranks, +1 Cha]
Hide +4 [1 ranks, +3 Dex.]
Intimidate +1 [0 rank, +1 Cha.]
Jump +1 [0 rank, +1 Str.]
Knowledge Local +2 [1 ranks, +1 Int.] Fifth City
Listen +1 [1 ranks, +0 Wis.]
Move Silently +4 [1 ranks, +3 Dex.]
Open Lock +6 [1 ranks, +3 Dex.+2 item]
Ride cc +3 [0 ranks, +3 Dex.]
Search +2 [1 ranks, +1 Int]
Sense Motive +1 [1 ranks, +0 Wis.]
Sleight of Hand +4 [1 ranks, +3 Dex.]
Spot +1[1 ranks, +0 Wis.]
Swim +1 [0 ranks, +1 Str.]
Tumble +3 [0 ranks, +3 Dex]
Use Rope +3 [0 ranks, +3 Dex]

Feats:
Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense

Languages
Common, ?

Equipment: 63 gp
Explorers Outfit 0 gp
Leather Armor 10 gp
Rapier 20 gp
Short Sword 10 gp
Dagger x2 6 gp
Sap 1 gp
Club 0 gp
MW Thieves’ Tools 100 gp
Flint and Steel 1 gp

Appearance:

Personality:

Background:

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Looks good so far. Starting gold is maximum. For languages, the usual suspects are fine for the most part, though Undercommon and the "planar" languages are unknown to all but the most esoteric scholars. Goblin is a sort of pirate language now; since goblins are mostly extinct their language has been co-opted by raiders and criminals as a code.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Excellent! Any ideas on the mentor? Here are a couple of suggestions that will fit the overall story of the campaign...

A high-ranking member of the Corps who, after finishing your character's training, was assigned to a secret division of the Corps...your character has heard rumors but nothing concrete...something about enhancing inherent magical abilities.

I think the above

Mentor: Nicodemus the wise

I am guessing this is 'psi-corp?

Szar Ak'manan wizard 1
system 3.5

stats
Code:

defense
Code:

offense
Code:

class and race
Code:
Human:
Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Human base land speed is 30 feet.
1 extra feat at 1st level.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Automatic Language: Common. 
Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak 
   Language skill.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human  takes an experience point
  penalty, his or her highest-level class does  not count.

Wizard:
Evoker 
-restricted schools: necromancy, illusionthoughts: The act of torturous death or restless death
  is as repugnant as those deceptive roguish illusionists
Bonus Languages:A wizard may substitute Draconic for one of the bonus languages available
  to the character because of her race. 
Familiar: A wizard can obtain a [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#familiars"]familiar[/URL] in exactly the [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#sorcererFamiliar"]same manner as a sorcerer[/URL] can. 
Scribe Scroll: At 1st level, a wizard gains [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#scribeScroll"]Scribe Scroll[/URL] as a bonus feat. 
Bonus Feats: At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, a wizard gains a bonus feat. At  each such
  opportunity, she can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation  feat, or [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellMasterySpecial"]Spell Mastery[/URL]. The 
   wizard must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums.  
     These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any  class gets from 
   advancing levels. The wizard is not limited to the  categories of item creation feats, metamagic
  feats, or [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellMasterySpecial"]Spell Mastery[/URL] when choosing these feats. 
Spellbooks: A wizard must study her spellbook each day to prepare her spells. She  cannot prepare any spell not recorded in her spellbook, except for [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/readMagic.htm"]read magic[/URL], which all wizards can prepare from memory. 
     A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard  spells (except those from her prohibited school or schools, if any; see [URL="http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#schoolSpecialization"]School Specialization[/URL],  below) plus three 1st-level spells of your choice. For each point of  Intelligence bonus the wizard has, the spellbook holds one additional  1st-level spell of your choice. At each new wizard level, she gains two  new spells of any spell level or levels that she can cast (based on her  new wizard level) for her spellbook. At any time, a wizard can also add  spells found in other wizards’ spellbooks to her own.

feats and skills
Code:

Spell book
Code:

memorized
Code:

work in progress

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
This sounds... amazing. Minbari were space elves anyway ;)

Now that RL lets up a bit I have time to post once a week. I am just super slow to impossible slow in making and maintaining chars without a good char generator - which I currently don't have. Friend had Hero Labs but he moved and now I'm kind of stranded, as our homebrew generator isn't really D&D 3.5 compatible anymore. Numbers and lots of tables confuse my brain for some reason, they always have.

Would probably want to go the priest path.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Woot! That's three!

I'll leave recruiting open as I'd like to have five players but we will be able to get started with what we have.

Lwaxy, I can help you out with the mechanics and such. What concept do you have in mind?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
House Rules

I try to keep house rules to a minimum and mostly on the DM side of the screen. They are as follows.

1. Anything with a cost of less than a gold piece (including ammunition for ranged weapons) generally doesn't need to be tracked or accounted for. We can assume that such items are replenished, replaced, etc during down time between adventures.

2. NPC classes are limited to 5th level. Members of the Commoner and Warrior classes are illiterate unless they spend skill points on literacy similar to a barbarian.

3. Wild Empathy and Animal Companion are feats. The druid and ranger classes get these as bonus feats at the levels they normally gain the class features. Wild Empathy is a prerequisite for the Animal Companion feat. Animal Companion advancement is based on total character level.

4. All prestige classes have in-world requirements with ties to the setting. Each prestige class represents an elite group of rare individuals.

5. The Leadership feat may be taken at 1st level. It otherwise works as written.

Erm, I feel like I'm forgetting something. If I remember later, I'll edit it in. Let me know if you have any questions.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Cleric of a water god, considering we're on an island and all. Could probably find a fitting deity in one of my many sourcebooks if you have none.

Neutral good, probably a curious elf (who considers humans a mystery) or a dwarf who considers them not quite grown up yet. Probably female if there are no other female PCs. Should be able to go smash on an opponent if needed but would try to avoid fighting in case of the elf.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
First note - We're not using any supplements except Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium. The planar domains from the Spell Compendium are not available to any clerics for now.

Religions vary from race to race so here's a brief rundown...

Elven religion is based around the idea that the world itself is alive and sentient after a fashion. Every living thing on the world is a actually an extension of the consciousness of the world, sent out to learn and grow and experience. When a living thing dies, its soul carries what it has learned back to the world, and thus the world learns. In addition, 1,000 years ago, an elven hero named Valen led the elves in a great war against darkness. He organized elven society into the three castes it has now and formed the ruling body of the elven people known as the Grey Council. "In Valen's name" is an oft-spoke oath among elves. Clerics are members of the religious caste and follow Valen's teachings. Their spells come from the world itself and they thus have access to most domains, except Death and Evil from the PHB and Deathbound, Drow, Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Hatred, Hunger, Lust, Madness, Orc, Pestilence, Slime, Sloth, Suffering, Tyranny, Undeath, and Wrath domains from the Spell Compendium.

Dwarven religion is based on the worship of ancestors. An ancestral spirit guides the cleric, who seeks to emulate that ancestor and learn from their life. Thus, depending on the nature of the ancestor, almost any domain is available (check with DM first).

Orc religion contains thousands of gods, one for every tree and animal, as well as household gods, family gods, weather gods, ascended emperors, and many others. Thus, clerics don't worship a single deity but entreat whatever god is most suited to the spell they want to cast at the time. Orc clerics can thus choose almost any domain (check with DM first).

Human religion is dominated by the Church of the Sun Trident, the weapon said to be wielded by the God of the Oceans, Cohlis, who rises from the ocean to throw the trident across the sky each day. The church has an influence on the monarchy and often advises the King or Queen on matters of diplomacy. It was the Church that advocated the creation of the Corps of Magi to protect the common folk from the magic of sorcerers and wizards. Clerics of the Sun Trident have access to a similar list of domains to elves.

Many of the other races have a common religion based on the notion of the "Great Maker," a deity like figure said to be responsible for creating life in the world. Domains vary considerably (check with the DM).

Remove ads