Turbine: One More Nail in the Coffin

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Some of you may be familiar with Dungeons & Dragons Online, the MMO produced by the Turbine Inc. game studio. In my latest blog, I discuss a bit of recent history on DDO (and Lord of the Rings Online) and give my impressions of the reasons for why Turbine has yet another round of layoffs. Below is a snippet:

Three days ago, it was reported on Massively that Turbine, publisher of such popular games as Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, the classic Asheron's Call, and the highly anticipated upcoming Infinite Crisis, was undergoing yet another round of layoffs. The story was originally reported on Gamasutra as near as I can tell, and it seems these were mostly targeted in the Lord of the Rings Online division. Many well-known and well-liked developers have been let go in these layoffs. This isn't the first time since Warner Brothers' acquisition of Turbine in April 2010 that Turbine employees have been let go. It has happened a number of times, particularly as Turbine's game servers have seen their populations in slow decline over the last several years. Several expansions to their popular Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online properties have attempted to keep the players of these games interested but unfortunately these expansions have often included changes in the games which have significantly alienated players and caused mass defections. The recent release of very unpopular expansions to Turbine's flagship titles such as Helm's Deep (LotRO) and Shadowfell Conspiracy (DDO) have been incredibly unpopular, and as a player of both games, I have to say the drop in players is palpable everywhere as a result.

Click here for more.

Kaodi

Hero
This may come from hindsight but I think the writing may have been on the wall as soon as they decided to abandon Eberron in favour of the Forgotten Realms. The game was at least a thematic whole before that.

I stopped playing after an "update" caused the launcher to stop working.

I still kind of hope we will see another Eberron computer game at some point, though that is a faint hope indeed. One place the setting could probably excel though is in the hands of Telltale Games, the team behind The Walking Dead (game) and The Wolf Among Us. Forget the mechanics, just the world would mesh great with that kind of gameplay.

Jet Shield

First Post
Turbine needs to go back to it's roots and make Asheron's Call 3. Oh...and they need to not screw it up like they have everything they've tried other than Asheron's Call.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I tried playing DDO. It was so terrible I quit pretty quickly. If anything is causing their decline it's the quality of the product. Oh, and pay to win bleeping sucks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases