Living with low expectations?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I've cleaned up after hoarders and crazy-cat ladies before. (And irresponsible dog owners). So yeah.
Yes, there was a different culture there. It was... interesting.
And for 4 years, everything went mostly OK.
I don't know exactly what changed or when. Several different stories, and I don't know which, if any, of them are true. Honestly, none of my business.
But wow. Went back in this morning so I could actually see. Looks like the kids ground gum or clay or candy or ??? into the carpet. As well as oil and grease. Sharpe and crayon on walls. I think maybe nail polish based on the spots on one wall & ceiling. Less said about the kitchen the better.
I suppose I could post videos, but who would want to see them?

Elf Witch

First Post
Meh, superficial people aren't my problem.

There is nothing superficial about not being able to sell your home when you need to because of having to move to another state or to sell it because you lost your job and the new one does not pay as much. Losing thousands of dollars because of someone else selfishness is hardly superficial.

It is also not superficial to not want your place to look like a sty or want your health effected because your lazy neighbors don't maintain their pool and now it is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. West Nile fever and other diseases are out of control in my area. We have to keep our pets even our indoor cats on heart worm medicine year round because it has reached epidemic portions. They are constantly asking people to not keep stagnant water around yet people do.

I personally hate Nazi style housing associations but I do understand why they got popular it was because of asshats who felt that they didn't have to maintain their property and didn't care that they were hurting their neighbors.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
There is nothing superficial about not being able to sell your home
I'm talking about people who will not buy a house simply because a neighbor hasn't mowed his lawn or has a rusty car in his driveway or cause hobo use your garage has a toilet or cause the neighborhood has three crack houses or the tavern next door is noisy at night...

Losing thousands of dollars because of someone else selfishness [...].
That is pretty much the standard in a liberal economy.

It is also not superficial to not want your place to look like a sty or want your health effected because your lazy neighbors don't maintain their pool and now it is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. West Nile fever and other diseases are out of control in my area. We have to keep our pets even our indoor cats on heart worm medicine year round because it has reached epidemic portions. They are constantly asking people to not keep stagnant water around yet people do.
I mentioned dangers and health hazards.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I keep bouncing between the idea of keeping my current home when we look to move in a couple of years and renting it out or just selling it and movin' on. Renting it out is appealing but then I hear about stuff like this and it makes me reconsider. Odds are I'll just sell cuz I don't wanna deal with crap like this. If I had to, I'd probably lose my bleep when talking to someone like that. Not a good thing.

Janx

Hero
I personally hate Nazi style housing associations but I do understand why they got popular it was because of asshats who felt that they didn't have to maintain their property and didn't care that they were hurting their neighbors.

I suspect most people hate them as well. Especially the ones that go to extremes. Technically, we're supposed to have siding/roofing changes approved. Nobody does in my neighborhood. They just get the work done.

I'm OK with that level of non-enforcement. Nobody's doing anything crazy with their changes like bright neon grafiti or something.

Janx

Hero
I keep bouncing between the idea of keeping my current home when we look to move in a couple of years and renting it out or just selling it and movin' on. Renting it out is appealing but then I hear about stuff like this and it makes me reconsider. Odds are I'll just sell cuz I don't wanna deal with crap like this. If I had to, I'd probably lose my bleep when talking to someone like that. Not a good thing.

I'm inclined to think there is such thing as "Renter Culture", a mindset that you can treat it like crap, because you're renting.

I knew one person, who would take all the lightbulbs in his apartment when he'd move out, because he thought the landlord was a jerk.

We've all seen the stereotype comment from somebody driving a rental care of "It's OK, it's a rental"

I'm betting though, there's some overlap with the type of people, who just don't take care of stuff. Even their own stuff.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I'm inclined to think there is such thing as "Renter Culture", a mindset that you can treat it like crap, because you're renting.

I knew one person, who would take all the lightbulbs in his apartment when he'd move out, because he thought the landlord was a jerk.

We've all seen the stereotype comment from somebody driving a rental care of "It's OK, it's a rental"

I'm betting though, there's some overlap with the type of people, who just don't take care of stuff. Even their own stuff.

I know a lot of people that have rental properties and that's why I'm interested - there's some real nice perks. Thing is, I also hear a lot of awful stories about stuff people do to these rental properties and how terribly difficult it is to evict them. I just don't think I wanna get into all that.

I've also seen - and fixed - the results of the nasty renter a couple of times. I don't want that sort of thing happening to something that's mine. It can be devastating. My one friend's house took tens of thousands to set right after the renters left and before he could move his family in. Insane.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases