GM found! 0-level funnel pending!

I know you said that magical healing is required to revive Lizt and Alois, but given Kurl's failed attempt to heal the lawful Alois, I'm going to assume Alois, at least, is dead. Not sure about Lizt, though she is probably dead, too.

We started out with three characters each. What is the effect of a character death on our remaining character/s? Does Gratien get some kind of a boon because Alois died? I cannot imagine what on earth that might be, but then again I'm kind of confused about the title of this thread--not sure what "0-level funnel" means. I guess I'm unclear why we started out with three PCs each. Was that just because DCC is pretty hard on characters? Or is there some rules mechanic that I'm not aware of that kicks in upon character death?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
We actually started with 4. The reason being that of character mortality. We started as commoners, and are now level 1. What we have now is what has survived this far. It is a meat grinder that is whittling out the weak or unlucky.

GlassEye

Adventurer
This thread was originally an interest check by fireinthedust. I volunteered to DM and we started play in the previous adventure, 'Sailors on the Starless Sea' and used this thread as the OOC. fireinthedust dropped out early so I haven't been able to change the thread title.

DCC starts out with something called the funnel. Everyone rolls four normal 0-level people and enters a deadly adventure. Characters are winnowed down and at the end of the adventure each player levels up one character to 1st level (any surviving 0-level characters serve as henchmen). By this time we had another player drop, so we were down to three players with eight characters. By the end of 'Sailors' the player with two characters dropped leaving DT & Scott. Since we were so low on characters I allowed all the surviving characters to level to 1st.

I tried to recruit but unsuccessfully and then you came along. To make things even across the board I let you come in with three 1st level characters; that's the only reason everyone had three characters to start. There is no mechanical boon received for surviving characters when a player loses characters.

DCC is hard on characters. 0-level characters die when they reach 0 hit points. Leveled characters still have a hard time but can manage to survive a little easier. Right now Kurl has a decision to make: will he take a chance on laying on hands, and if he does will it be Alois or Lizt? He probably won't try Alois again; they have a differing world-view and Kurl's god has announced his displeasure. If Kurl rolled well enough he could still save Lizt. Even if he doesn't try or tries and fails Alois and Lizt aren't necessarily dead yet.

After the time limit passes to save them from bleeding out (this round for both Alois and Lizt) it is possible that they aren't truly killed. Each character makes a Luck check (1d20, must roll below current Luck score). If the check fails, they're dead. If it succeeds, they were stunned, knocked unconscious or the like and have managed to survive.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
When it is dark

And the grue does hunger

the bodies park and dead do number

then does the grue come out.

When the light has left

and the evil wakes

the living consumes, the beast doeth takes

then does the grue come out.

Guys, my router at home is on the blink. Or there's something else wrong...customer service couldn't pinpoint the problem even after a 30-minute troubleshooting phone call. I have a ticket for tech support to come out to my home, but that won't be until September 22. I'll post when I can from work, but [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION], please feel free to NPC Gratien and Lizt when you need to forward the IC. Gratien will fire arrows from a healthy 20-30 feet away. He'll color spray the Hound if he can do so without tagging an ally. Lizt will simply attack each round with her shortsword.

Both Gratien's longbow and Lizt's shortsword go at 1d20 for 1d6 damage. Thanks and sorry, all. I'll be back when I can.

Remove ads