GM found! 0-level funnel pending!

GlassEye

Adventurer
The first thing that came to mind when you mentioned Tolkien was Arwen's scene at the ford. Maybe that wasn't what you were thinking of, though, so I searched around and found mention of Ulmo. Looking around for more DCC specific info I found an elemental water patron, Umwansh, which I've shared here.

There are bits I like from each of the three things and a couple of things that I wasn't terribly fond of but I'd like to know a little more about what you were thinking in respect to an elemental patron.

As for mercurial magic effects and the questions you sent me; I'm still working on them.

The white horses cresting the waters of the Bruinen is a great scene. There's also the scene when Aragorn takes a little tumble off the cliff and the scene where Brego rescues Aragorn. All three scenes make good Patron scenes, I think.

Re: an elemental patron, I wasn't really thinking anything well-defined. It was more just me reading the DCC rules, coming across the word "elemental" in the description of patrons, and me thinking, "Oooo! Elemental! Fun!" I didn't get any further than the "ooh shiny" factor.

I looked at the material for Umwansh and it smells a whole lot like Poseidon to me, particularly with the references to shells. That's probably a little too cartoony for what I had in mind. Also, I want the water patron to be a female patron, please.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I've no problems with a female elemental patron. Right now I'm thinking of a conglomeration of minor water spirits like the British goddesses of springs whose shrines dot the countryside and act (more or less) in concert. I'm interested in including elements of the each uisgne, the water-horses from the clip, and other ideas from the clips like watery visions/scrying. One thing I did like about Umwansh was his enmity with Moerg. I don't think it should be anything as simplistic as water vs fire or earth, though.

If you're up for it, we could leave the patron choice open for the moment and work on an elemental patron for Gratien.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Spells/Mercurial magic for Gratien

First of all, Gratien's Intelligence of 14 grants him an additional spell known. I've rolled and added a spell below with mercurial effects for each of the spells.

Patron Bond - no mercurial effect; manifests as standard

Invoke Patron - Fine control. The wizard is adept at reigning in the magical energies of the spell and can choose any result on the spell chart equal to or lower than the one rolled.

Charm Person - Worms of the earth. Pale white worms crawl forth from the earth whenever the wizard casts this spell, writhing in fiery agony (or unholy delight) before expiring on the open ground. Easily crushed underfoot, the worms disintegrate into greasy ash after 1d6 rounds.

Chill Touch - Counter-magic bubble. In the round following the casting of this spell, all other spells (including the wizard’s own) cast within 100’ suffer a -4 penalty to spell checks.

Color Spray - Karmic casting. Before making the spell check, the wizard can choose to add or subtract 1d5 from the roll. If the caster adds 1d5, the next time he casts the spell he must subtract 1d5, and vice versa. After two castings, the karma is reset, and the wizard again gets to choose what modifier to use, if any.

Find Familiar - Psychic shield. In the round immediately following the casting of this spell, the wizard gains a +2 bonus to his AC and any Will saves, as he is encased in a protective barrier of psychic energy. It disperses the following round.

GlassEye said:
If you're up for it, we could leave the patron choice open for the moment and work on an elemental patron for Gratien.
I would like that, thank you. And I like the idea of an enmity with Moerg.

Wow, worms coming out of the earth at every casting of charm person really puts a crimp in that spell, eh?
Gratien: I cast charm person on the guard.
GM: OK. White worms writhe on the floor, leaving a greasy ash residue when stepped on. Your spell goes off as normal, though the guard is too busy cowering in fear of Gratien's obvious necromantic power to be "charmed."
Gratien: --. So. Do we get by the guard, or not?

The chill touch spell effect is pretty cool, as are all of the mercurial effects, really. Should be loads of fun to roleplay. Thanks for rolling these.

GlassEye

Adventurer
CB, I hope you don't mind that I posted the answers here instead of in private message. These answers were too long for the PM system and Scott and DT might find some of these answers useful.

1. How many luck points does Lizt (neutral Thief) start play with? I see that she rolls 1d3 to determine how much of a luck bonus to add and that she regenerates 1 pt of luck each day, but I don't see how many points she starts with. Ditto for the warrior and Elf.

Your Luck ability score is a pool that can be spent to give a character one time bonuses to a roll (like action points) on a one for one basis for most characters. Lizt starts with 13 (her Luck ability score) and, as a thief, gains 1d3 to a roll for each luck point burnt. Since Alois' score is 9 he has 9, and Gratien 7. Burning luck drops your Luck ability one point for each point spent. This is permanent except for, as you noted, a thief (and halfling) regains their level in luck each night. At times I will award characters a point to their luck score for things like playing to alignment so Luck will fluctuate.

2. What are action dice and how are they used?

Action dice are DCC's version of the action economy of games like D&D. Each round a character can move its normal speed and take an action for each of its action die. All characters can use their action die to make another move (essentially double move action). Each class lists what that class can use its action dice for specifically. For example, warriors can only make attacks; thieves use action dice for attacks and thief skill checks.

3. I gave Lizt studded leather armor. How much does studded leather cost, and should I expense that cost from her starting gold?

Studded leather costs 45 gold. I'll let Lizt keep that for free and leave it to you to determine how she came into possession of the armor. As an aside the -2 check penalty applies to skills that require agility and spell checks.

4. Lizt's character sheet says "Lucky Sign: Righteous heart (turn unholy checks) 1." What is "righteous heart" and how do I use that? It sounds cleric-y. Also, Alois's character sheet says "Lucky Sign: Charmed house (Armor Class) 0." No clue what that is or how it works.

Lucky sign is based off of your initial luck modifier and a roll off of a birth table. Most of the time the luck modifier isn't high or low enough to actually cause an effect. Alois has a luck modifier of 0 which is added to his armor class for no benefit. You can ignore it. Lizt has a +1 modifier but rolled something she will likely never use and so you can ignore it as well.

5. How do criticals work for a warrior? Alois's warrior table says Crit Die/Table 1d12/III. Does this mean that if he rolls a natural 19-20 on an attack roll that hits he will add 1d12 damage to his regular damage roll? Not sure what "Table III" means; I don't think I have that info in the packet you sent.

If Alois rolls a natural 19-20 on an attack roll that hits he rolls 1d12 and gets the result of the critical off Table III. You'll notice each class rolls a different die and uses different tables. You're right, I didn't send you those tables. I'm not exactly sure the best way to deal with criticals in pbp DCC but I'll probably narrate the effect myself.

6. What is the ability score modifier progression like in DCC? In other words, what modifier does an ability score of 15 get, etc.?

Ability score modifiers have a flatter progression than in 3e. The modifiers are as follows:
3 (-3), 4-5 (-2), 6-8 (-1), 9-12 (0), 13-15 (+1), 16-17 (+2), 18 (+3)

7. Charm Person lists a manifestation, corruption, and misfire. Are we using these? What does corruption do? I read about corruption in the DCC Magic .pdf, thank you. My question now is whether we have to roll for corruption EVERY TIME we cast! Eeep.

Yes, we are using manifestation, corruption, and misfire. Manifestation isn't really important, though, and is mostly window dressing. The idea is that magic is obvious, variable, and difficult to control. You make a spell check when casting a spell and corruption and misfire only come into play if you roll a natural one. Essentially, you lose control of the magic and it changes you.

8. It seems like a lot of rolling to get Charm Person to succeed. First there's a Will save, then there's the corruption and misfire rolls, and then it looks like there's a chart detailing when the spell fails, when it succeeds, etc. Am I missing something? Or is magic just harder in this setting?

Magic is harder and more dangerous in this setting. Casting Charm Person would follow this process: Gratien would make a spell check to determine if he succeeded in casting the spell. If his result is a 1 he rolls to see what combination of corruption and misfire results. If his result is a 2-11, nothing happens except that he loses the spell and cannot cast it again until the next day. If his result is higher then he uses the entry on the table to determine effect and rolls for manifestation. His targets roll a Will save (DC equal to the spell check result).

9. Invoke Patron calls for "1 point of spellburn." What is that? Does Gratien take 1 pt damage if he casts this spell? Never mind, found the answer.

For Scott & DT's benefit: Spellburn equals ability damage. You can spellburn to gain a +1 to a spell check for each ability point burnt in this way (except if the spellburn is a component of the spell as in the Invoke Patron spell).

10. Would a PC normally only cast Patron Bond once, ever? Not really sure why this is on my spell list or why I would want to cast this more than one time.

You could cast it as often as you found a patron to bond with if you wanted. More patrons equal more power. The downside is that patrons don't give up power without getting something in return. Think Elric or Faust or old sword & sorcery pulp novels' wizards.

11. How high do the dice go in this game? Up to 100? I see a few references to 32+. Not sure how far beyond 32 the dice reach. Will affect odds-based decision making!

The dice chain is as follows:
d3 - d4 - d5 - d6 - d7 - d8 - d10 - d12 - d14 - d16 - d20 - d24 - d30.
Modifiers, such as ability modifiers or spellburn or magic items, are added depending on the sort of roll and circumstances.

12. My elf's character sheet says "Lucky Sign: Fortunate date (Missile fire attack rolls) -1." What is this, and how does it work?

This is just plain unlucky. Gratien's luck modifier is -1 and is applied to missile attack rolls.

13. How do attack rolls work? 1d20 + ??? Not sure what to add to a d20 roll when a character wants to attack. I assume, for an attack with a weapon, one adds one's Strength or Agility modifier, plus a luck bonus or a deed roll (if relevant).

Yes. Roll your action die (which may be a lower die than a d20 when you gain multiple actions), add your 'Attack' bonus (or result of deed die for warriors). Melee attacks add Strength bonus, missile attacks add Agility bonus.

DCC is basically simplified 3.5 with added magic complexity for weirdness and old school feel. I hope these answers are helpful. Feel free to ask when anything else comes up.

One last thing: Skills.
There are no skills/proficiencies in DCC. Your characters' professions determine their knowledge base. If something comes up that needs a knowledge check, if it is something your profession can feasibly be explained as knowing then you roll a d20 for the check. If not, roll a d10.

GlassEye

Adventurer
So, obviously Aedre is a potential patron for Gratien (or any other interested wizard). Other than what has occurred IC she is undefined so we can make her what we want her to be. So far we have a name: Aedre, Our/My Lady of the River. I also came up with a title that I liked: the Tirith'Mar. Lady of the River could be a translation of Tirith'Mar. Or it could be the title/name of a conglomeration of water spirits/goddesses.

Aedre could be a relatively minor water spirit. The Tirith'Mar might be the aforementioned conglomeration of which Aedre would be a member. Or there might be only one more powerful river goddess who varies in appearance and personality as river(s) vary by location or season.

Azbog the Serpent is Aedre's enemy whom I imagine as a sort of Cerberus figure being invoked to guard tombs, burial mounds, and ultimately the entrance to the underworld. Azbog's fealty would be to a chthonic figure I've named Veles, who may or may not have an enmity with Aedre.

Curious what you all think Aedre's power level/social configuration should be.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
First, you need to update your PbP Games link as it is more than two years old. I need to do the same, as there have been many changes to the games I am involved in and I did update mine just a few months ago.

Second, did we ever determine who was Boral's supernatural patron? I know Kurl's is a follower of Bobugbubilz, but I don't know if we ever discovered Boral's. I suppose we can keep it a mystery as he has never requested direct aid from a patron...

Third, I like the idea of Aedre being a minor water spirit, but part of a conglomeration of nature spirits that could act as an odd patron who gives aid when the various flighty spirits are mostly in agreement. Seems like there could be story potential there.

Fourth, I think Azbog should be a servant of a greater power. Maybe as Azbog is opposed to Aedre, the greater power is opposed to the spirit conglomeration.

Edit: I just realized I am unable to edit my own signature anymore in order to link to this page:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...Thread/page5&p=3333896&viewfull=1#post3333896

Last edited:

I like the idea of Aedre being a minor water spirit, but part of a conglomeration of nature spirits that could act as an odd patron who gives aid when the various flighty spirits are mostly in agreement. Seems like there could be story potential there.
I, too, like the idea of Aedre being a minor water spirit. Makes her more accessible, somehow.

Remove ads