Clothing styles or items you wish would come back

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Some clothing styles seem to cycle back around every few decades. But some don't.

Without going back earlier than just our parents' ages, there was a time when men wore ties and coats and hats regularly. The other day, I saw a TV show from the 70s where the family had friends over to their home, and the men wore blazers and ties, and the women wore dresses and pearls.

Nowadays, I wear jeans and t-shirts and sneakers to work every day, in an office. I like this, and wouldn't want to go back to wearing slacks and a tie like I had to just 15 years ago.

But are there some styles and clothing items that you'd like to come back into fashion?

Bullgrit

delericho

Legend
Bow ties. Bow ties are cool.

In seriousness, though, not really. I pretty much just ignore fashion, so it doesn't matter too much what 'they' decide will be this year's style.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a couple dozen hats, mostly baseball caps, but also including a black felt fedora, a brown sueded leather fedora, and flat caps in leather and wools of various colors.

The problem is, the hat-check and hat stand in public spaces have virtually disappeared!

Dioltach

Legend
Cloaks. It would be cool to have a thick woolen cloak to wear in bad weather or at night. And by extension ponchos, like Clint Eastwood wears them in some of his Westerns.

Janx

Hero
I have a couple dozen hats, mostly baseball caps, but also including a black felt fedora, a brown sueded leather fedora, and flat caps in leather and wools of various colors.

The problem is, the hat-check and hat stand in public spaces have virtually disappeared!

sometime after JFK and that football coach in Dallas, hats went out of fashion.

I like my Fedora and my australian outback style hat, so I wear them when the weather's not too hot.

I don't wear ballcaps too much. Never was big on those.

Canes and walking sticks also seem out of use nowadays.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Hats.

Nobody wears hats anymore.

Oh no! You've got it all wrong! Hats seem to be on the rise again. Of some 20 software testers working for the company within the last two year, 5 wore hats regularly, 2 even within the building.

I love the idea of strolling around with hat and coat, but - alas! - my small head makes getting a hat had business and as cyclist both hat and coat are too impractical.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Hats, even baseball caps, should be taken off when indoors, unless at a construction site or hiding Chemo.

I used to wear a cloak in winter. It kept the rain off, and my hands weren't freezing from holding an umbrella. Plus people got out of my way in college. And it was cold mornings walking through Berkeley. I'd still wear it, but it doesn't come up as much. Many were jealous. "It's not halloween anymore" got a little old by Nov 7th, though.

About 5 years ago I was walking through Macy's and laughed at the women's dresses that looked like extras from Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th century.
And a few years later, denim jackets with sheep wool trim and fluffy wool-topped books made it back into circulation.

I'd like to see more french cuffs and cufflinks. I was able to get a few nice shirts last year, but almost always either white or black. A few had horrid two-tone patterns.

Puffy shoulders. Don't ask me why, but I like them.

That single most manly garb: the kilt. Not the british pleated skirt version, but the over the shoulder piece that doubled as a tent.

Half-coats.

Cod pieces. Especially for women!

Swords for all on-duty police.

vests with pocket watches.

Remove ads