Clothing styles or items you wish would come back

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Also, fashion is more important to some folks ... for some, a lot more important.
Above a certain station, dress does matter at work.

Ladies seem to pay a lot of attention to footwear, including on guys.

Of late in the eastern US (or at least near Raleigh, NC), leather boots on women seem to be the rage. Enough that I noticed, and I'm a sort that usually doesn't bother with fashion in the least.

Thx!

TomB

STIGMATADOR

Banned
Banned
Blue jean jackets with back patches!
They were so cool!

I had the best Metallica back patch on my jean jacket when I was in High School! Nobody else had the one I had, and everybody was all jealous and junk.
I was so cool!

Grehnhewe

First Post
My old leather jacket with hand painted logos of my favourite punk bands. Pegged jeans and Creepers. Too old to roll a leather jacket these days not that I would want too. Can still get creepers but I would not roll them either. Pegged jeans..are everywhere now and don't have to pay a chick to sew them for me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Too old to roll a leather jacket these days not that I would want too.

You're older than Lemmy? Rob Halford?:lol:

I'm getting rid of a great leather bomber/biker jacket I've had for years- donating it to charity. I look quite the thug in it, and its beat all to hades. I figure someone else can rock it better than I can these days.

Keeping my leather sportscoat and trenchcoat, though.

Nellisir

Hero
I wouldn't mind if men's fashion were a little bit...snappier? It feels like there's a huge gap now between everyday dress and dressing nicely. I've working in construction most of my life, and after banging around a jobsite for 8 hours, I'm still better dressed than a lot of people I see. Particularly when I got back to grad school. After a while I decided I couldn't dress "down" far enough, so I started wearing a tie once or twice a week. Jaws hit the floor on a regular basis. I also go to contra dances, and it's a nice feeling to dress well. I used to wear jeans & a button down shortsleeve shirt; now I've got a black kilt (a "modern" kilt, not a dress or show kilt with the sporran & etc.) It looks nice, it works well, and it's not a hassle. I like it better than wearing shorts to dance.

I went through four years of catholic high school and didn't wear a tie for twenty years afterwards, so I get that some people might not want to wear a tie, or some other article of clothing, but I feel like some essential understanding of dressing well has been lost in the past forty years.

And yeah, hats. But not those weird trilby things. Proper fedoras would be great.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Check out Museum Replicas.com
Click on "Last Chance" and then "Men's Clothing" and on page 2 or 3 is "Reversible Traveler's Cloak".
I'm sure there are other sources too.

Neat stuff, but I was thinking more like this:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-2102-baker-street-coat-brown.aspx

But that's still not quite what I'm looking for.

I thought I saw something that was more like a double lined / reversible cape with a collar and a hint of sleeves. Patterned on one side, and brown on the other. Something sturdy and wearable.

Thx!

TomB

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I wouldn't mind if men's fashion were a little bit...snappier? It feels like there's a huge gap now between everyday dress and dressing nicely. I've working in construction most of my life, and after banging around a jobsite for 8 hours, I'm still better dressed than a lot of people I see. Particularly when I got back to grad school. After a while I decided I couldn't dress "down" far enough, so I started wearing a tie once or twice a week. Jaws hit the floor on a regular basis. I also go to contra dances, and it's a nice feeling to dress well. I used to wear jeans & a button down shortsleeve shirt; now I've got a black kilt (a "modern" kilt, not a dress or show kilt with the sporran & etc.) It looks nice, it works well, and it's not a hassle. I like it better than wearing shorts to dance.

Another reason I was mistaken for the instructor half the time when I went back to take Maya classes! Ties. I have lots, but rarely the excuse to wear them.
Spent most of the last 3 weeks wearing clothes splattered with paint and caulking. Was nice to wear clothes that fit and weren't grungy. And then the guy at the bank assumed that I was working, because I was wearing nicer clothes. On a Saturday. I didn't feel like saying "No, this is what I choose to wear."

Nellisir

Hero
Another reason I was mistaken for the instructor half the time when I went back to take Maya classes! Ties. I have lots, but rarely the excuse to wear them.

I wore ties & sports jacket at least twice a week for a year, and every time some one would ask me if I had a presentation that day. Interestingly, 99% of the time it was women commenting. They definitely notice.

I revamped my wardrobe about 3 years ago by hitting every Salvation Army & Goodwill I could find. Got a lot of great stuff, including two great suits (one brand-new, "tags-still-in-it", Chinese knock-off with hilariously mangled english on the labels, but excellently made and fits to a "T"). Probably spent $200 over 6 months, got a pile of shirts, ties, jackets & coats, two suits, 4-5 pairs of shoes...and it's good stuff. I'm picky.

Pants are the hardest. Except for the suits, all my pants are new.

Remove ads