The d12 Damage Die

Ashkelon

First Post
How much is it worth for a weapon user? A talent? A champion feat? Should it just be avoided altogether?

What are your thoughts?

Agamon

Adventurer
I'd make a new Fighter talent around it and make it similar to Deadeye Archer, maybe called something like Momentous Swing, increasing the damage die with melee weapons and dealing miss damage to another engaged enemy, with feats that increase the miss damage and number of engaged (or even nearby!) opponents that take it. Sort of a mix between Power attack and Cleave that doesn't step on those talents' toes. Alternately, make it deal miss damage to everyone else in a group with the enemy you attacked, but make it once per battle (call it Whirlwind Attack, perhaps?)

If you just made it an general feat, it'd be a bit of a no-brainer to take, I think. Unless it only worked on basic attacks, then you could make it a general adventurer feat.

Last edited:

NinjaPaladin

First Post
Definitely worth a talent or similar-level class feature. d12 damage die (presumably for two-handed weapons only) as an advancement from d10 damage die equates to about +1 average damage, which means it'll give the player an average of +1 damage/level. The cleric Strength domain lets clerics go from d6 to d8 with light weapons and d8 to d10 with heavy weapons, which is an increase of the same degree, and that's a class talent.

Seems like a reasonable talent option for Barbarian, Fighter, and Ranger. I'd try it out tentatively with a player, just in case it combines in an unbalancing way with Barbarian Rage or a Fighter Flexible Attack.

(I would even also look at just porting over the Strength domain entirely for players interested in something like this. +1 damage/level on melee and thrown-weapon attacks, along with feats that give a 1/battle Hit Harder option, is a nice little bump that I don't THINK should be overpowering. I've got a party paladin doing exactly this, minimal house rules needed, thanks to the Divine Domain class talent.)

mlund

First Post
Well, it's worthwhile enough as part of the Ranger Ex Cathedral talent for me to drop Spiritual Hammer before going off the deep end with Two-Weapon Fighting.

- Marty Lund

Dungeoneer

First Post
How much is it worth for a weapon user? A talent? A champion feat? Should it just be avoided altogether?

What are your thoughts?
I vote talent over feat. In 13A feats tend to be situational or limited. If this is a feat, it will be so obviously superior to other feats that it will become a must-take and basically turn into a feat tax.

For talents, bear in mind that some weapon users get to take more talents as they level and others do not, so this would be cheaper for the former than the latter.

Remove ads