(OGC) New Skill uses and Spells, mostly parlor tricks

Celebrim

Legend
Very nice work overall, but I think it could be improved:

Assay Weight: I've seen a lot of spells of this sort offered by different sources. I can't think of any time I'd cast one. It's too weak to be a 1st level spell. It should be 0th level. Additionally, you could probably just make this spell 'Assay' and allow the caster to choose a dimension to assay - weight, length, quantity, etc.

Brilliant Flame: Fairly interesting. Less interesting than the 1e AD&D spell 'Affect Normal Fires', though.

Blend With Mob: Doesn't justify its caster level at all. Could be a 2nd level sor/wiz spell.

Card Trick: Interesting. I might be tempted to bundle this into the things you can do with a Prestidigitation spell though.

Coin Trick: On the other hand, Prestidigitation already allows you to do this, has higher duration, and has additional options.

Create Contact Lenses: Dislike name as anachronistic. Too weak as written. Perhaps partially protects against gaze attacks and blinding light?

Magic Window: Doesn't specify clearly whether others can use window. Cost to make permenent should be specified.

Moment's Warning: Duration is too high for spell level.

Penetrate Lead: No, just don't go there. It's worth while to have some things that magic just can't do.

Uncanny Eyes: Oddly, this spell is brokenly overpowered in my own homebrew world since it basically reads, "All intelligent creatures react to the target two steps more negatively for the duration of the spell."

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
Very nice work overall, but I think it could be improved:

Assay Weight: I've seen a lot of spells of this sort offered by different sources. I can't think of any time I'd cast one. It's too weak to be a 1st level spell. It should be 0th level. Additionally, you could probably just make this spell 'Assay' and allow the caster to choose a dimension to assay - weight, length, quantity, etc.

Brilliant Flame: Fairly interesting. Less interesting than the 1e AD&D spell 'Affect Normal Fires', though.

Blend With Mob: Doesn't justify its caster level at all. Could be a 2nd level sor/wiz spell.

Card Trick: Interesting. I might be tempted to bundle this into the things you can do with a Prestidigitation spell though.

Coin Trick: On the other hand, Prestidigitation already allows you to do this, has higher duration, and has additional options.

Create Contact Lenses: Dislike name as anachronistic. Too weak as written. Perhaps partially protects against gaze attacks and blinding light?

Magic Window: Doesn't specify clearly whether others can use window. Cost to make permenent should be specified.

Moment's Warning: Duration is too high for spell level.

Penetrate Lead: No, just don't go there. It's worth while to have some things that magic just can't do.

Uncanny Eyes: Oddly, this spell is brokenly overpowered in my own homebrew world since it basically reads, "All intelligent creatures react to the target two steps more negatively for the duration of the spell."

I've made changes to the spells as you've suggested. However, contact lenses were invented by the ancient egyptians and other cultures, so I don't find them anachronistic. The updated document is attached to this post.

Attachments

• New Skills and Spells.pdf
    292.5 KB · Views: 44

Remove ads