A business/industry you would not work in?

Fast food service. I wouldn't do it.

As for illegal industries? I think I'd be a pretty successful drug trafficker. I wouldn't do the grunt work selling dime bags on a street corner, though.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, I wouldn't work in a corporate environment given the choice.

After college, and after a stint in the US Army, I figured out that I didn't want to work for a big company, and in fact I didn't want to work for anybody. Right out of the army, holding a minimum wage graphics job until I could get on my feet, I started a pressure washing company (not because it was something I really wanted to do, rather because I wanted to be in business with myself, and at the time I didn't really take the graphics industry seriously (more than as a possible job.) I ran the pressure washing company for 5 years, and a competitor offered money to buy me out - so I did. After that I really wanted to get back into the graphics industry, and we're my education was intended.

So I started a small graphic design/digital print company with no employees - I wearing all hats. Soon after I incorporated, at first renting a store, eventually buying a large building on 3 acres of land. I've run this company since April 1994, so I am almost at 20 years at this now.

In 2007, wanting to get into the gaming industry, I started to doing freelance cartography for various small publishers, eventually developing and publishing my own game setting as an imprint under Rite Publishing. I plan to become a publisher, and at this time am considering doing publishing instead of my graphics design/print studio, and possibly closing my business. I'm tired of serving local customers and kind want to just serve gamers.

I know that if circumstances forced me to close my businesses and work for someone else, I'd have a tough time of it, having worked for so many years on my own. I don't know if I could easily work for anyone ever again.

Elf Witch

First Post
I would never want to work in Fast food again it is a soul destroying job. Between nasty managers and customers the smell the grease in your hair and the low pay it is a recipe for depression and stress.

Sales I suck at it. Trying to get someone to buy something makes my stomach hurt.

CSR jobs that involve people calling up and bitching at you. Though I do enjoy CSR jobs like working at a library.

Debt collector know way no how. I could not bring myself to harass people. Sure some did it to themselves buy so many did not they ended up in a situation that they feel behind. I don't know how people do it especially when it is medical debt.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I think the only industry I'd really never want to work in is the tobacco industry. And, if marijuana were to have such widespread legality to qualify as an industry I couldn't work within it either. I'm an accountant, so my job really only differs by industry type (manufacturing, service, etc.), but I couldn't be part of an industry that played such a large role in harming those I love and affecting the people who love them.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Anything military or munitions.
anything involving sewage.
anything that could get me arrested.
Government
Medical (dealing directly with anything biological)
hazardous

Once worked in a construction facility with an industrial laser cutter that had liquid nitrogen. There was a leak. If they'd shut off the laser 2 seconds later, there wouldn't have been a building left (hydrogen tanks stored near the nitrogen). I finished out the month and fled.

Worked in a restaurant. Owners treated employees like smeg.

Worked in a publishing office. Everything was fine the first 3 years. Then they moved to a different building, and all the politics and bitchiness that was characteristic of the upper floor/upper management was on the same floor. Made the dreary sterile place seem unhappy and toxic. Left within 6 months. Within 12, the entire division (over 100 people) was gone except for 3 people who worked with the outsource companies in India (yes, it was that era).

Government and Military I can't discuss without opening up the political no-no box.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Food service - been there dine that, never worth the effort. felt like I was in a hamster wheel going nowhere.

Drugs and prostitution are also out of the running. Murder for hire is not something I would do either. Gun running too.

Last edited:

Remove ads