Research the Spells

Dreaddisease

First Post
How do you handle researching spells?

(I will be using 3rd level spells as examples)

IMC I will be using the DMG as a baseline of researching. But I want to make it more lethal. I am going to have all non-PHB spells need to be researched if the players want them. The cost and time will be as it says in the DMG but the problems will occur if they want to create really powerful spells. If the character wants to make a very useful spell for a certain level (Fireball, Haste, Fly) as opposed to limited use spells (Explosive Runes, Illusory Script, Halt Undead) they will need to tap into the wild magics. If they are going after limited use or underpowered spells (DMs call) then they can call upon the protection of Boccob (or equivalent God) to keep dire effects from happening. If they risk calling upon the protection while creating the "Fireball" spell most likely the spell level will end up being 4th, but may act differently (i.e. no cover bonus for those with in the area of effect).

The 'dire' effects will most likely be some scale based on how powerful I (the DM) thinks it is and what I interpret what powers the spell envokes. Example. If you are researching a 'vacuum' spell that engulfs tiny creatures in order to nullify spells like creeping doom, summon swarm or similar then you might be tapping into a sort of vortex in the elemental plane of air. Without the protection of the Gods this vortex could have a chance to grow within the lab and cause unfortunate effects. Like being spewed into the nether-regions of the elemental plane of air. With the protection of the gods they will give you buffers within the spell that keep the vortex from growing or causing major damage, of course this could limit the usefulness of the spell or increase the spell level. There are other effects that can happen but that is what I have so far.

I have yet to have a party member want to research the spell, but I am trying to prepare ahead.

Thoughts, comments, stories?

Zappo

Explorer
For spell research, this is what I do. The player tells me what the spell level and effects are, and the character proceeds to do the research as per the DMG. When it's over, I judge the power of the spell. If it is suitable to the level, everything is fine. If it's overpowered, I'll change the effects or add something nasty so that it becomes a spell appropriate for the level the character declared. If the character doesn't like it, tough luck, he has to restart and be more reasonable.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases