Sailors on the Starless Sea

Dogmatron

First Post
With a soft cry of "No", fendrik rushes to the fallen Xim. Cradling the fallen halfling's head he quietly sobs, "Sorry Xim, I was supposed to watch out for you and I failed. I'm sorry." After a few for sobs, he pushes himdlef to his feet, a steely look in his eye. "I'll make them pay Xim. Whoever did this, I'll make them pay."

"They're most likely in the tower yonder, " replied Brom. " Won't be much good attacking that with the weapons we have... few clubs and some rocks ain't going to do much. That tower door looks pretty sout. I think we should check out that burned out building....might be another way in. Or at least maybe something better to fight with....I'd be happier if we had a few more swords or some spears."

doghead

thotd
Narančasta, Siva

"The tracks leads to the tower door," say Siva. "They come and go from the tower that way. Whoever, or whatever they are. Those tracks are not made by human feet."

Narančasta considers the burnt out building. It might be an easier option, and may be another way in. But it means crossing the open courtyard, and leaving whoever is in the tower at their backs.

"They have spring their trap, they will be coming. And we have no way out. Perhaps we would be better off checking out the northwest tower. We can keep the wall at out backs. It may still offer access to the walls, and maybe even a way out, if we need one."

GlassEye

Adventurer
This will help clarify what I've been trying to describe without giving away too much...
[sblock=Map]
A - Causeway up to Keep
B - Tumbled down wall
C - Gatehouse
D - Courtyard
E - Burnt out Building
F - Well
G - Pit
H- Tower​
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
The Burnt Ruin: This once-proud edifice has fallen into ruin like the rest of the keep. All that remains of the building are high, fire-scarred stone walls and toad-faced gargoyles leering from above. The singed, bronze doors – cast with hundreds of wailing demonic faces – are barred from the outside. The portal is marked with a single word drawn in flaking red paint: REPENT.

The Well: A barren ridge of black stone rises from the overgrown courtyard. A low stone wall marked with eerie sigils is built atop the crest of the stone, marking a well. A stout block and tackle frame supports a single thick chain that plunges into the inky blackness. A soft moan rises from the well, like a faint cry for help.

The Sinkhole: A yawning sinkhole has devoured nearly a third of the courtyard, causing a tower and wall to collapse and plunge down into the depths. Mist billows up from the sinkhole, obscuring sight. Tortured faces and writhing forms appear briefly in the mists above your heads, only to dissolve back into nothingness as quickly as they appeared.

The Tower: Flanked by crumbling stone walls, the moss-covered tower stands proud despite the ravages of time. A tall, rust-bound portal bars the tower’s sole entrance, watched over by a leering demonic gargoyle.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta, Siva

Narančasta stands with the others shuffling their feet at the entrance to the courtyard.

"Right, stay here a minute." Turning on his heel, Narančasta returns to where the body of Xim lies. He recovers the bundle of gear carried by Xim. Then, as before, he dabs some holy water on her forehead while saying a few words in prayer. Finished, he stands and returns to the entrance to the courtyard, once more his hands bloody with the blood of one of his companions.

"We will work our way around the wall, starting with the west. We will check out the ruined tower, the pit, and the then the building. Hopefully, we will find something of use. But be careful, and stick together.

"But first, Siva, shoot that Gargoyle.

Siva smiles, lines up the Gargoyle and, after a moment to steady her aim, releases.

[roll0][roll1]

[sblock=OOC]That gargoyle was so bugging me.[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
The metal head of Siva's arrow catches the gargoyle a glancing blow but is sufficient to knock off a chip of stone. The gargoyle continues to leer, almost as if mocking Narančasta.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta

"This place is making me twitchy," mutters Narančasta under his breath, not sure if he is pleased or frustrated that his suspicions about the gargoyle were not correct.

"Right, let's see what is in the courtyard."

Dogmatron

First Post
Brom and Geoffrey start to wander over to get a better look at the burnt ruins.

"Do you hear those cries for help?" exclaims Fendrel as he rushed towards the well, "I bet they threw some of our friends down there to drown. We need to save them." The halfing dyer rushes over to the well and peers in to see if anyone might be down there.

GlassEye

Adventurer
As Fendrel peers into the depths of the well depth perception and spatial reality fall away and the shaft opens up into a vast, yawning darkness. Whether hallucinatory vision or optical illusion or other the result is the same: Fendrel loses all sense of balance and tumbles into the well.

[sblock=OOC/Dogmatron]Fendrel Will (1d20+1=6)

Fendrel has one chance to save himself: make a DC 15 Reflex save to catch the chain as you fall.[/sblock]

Dogmatron

First Post
OOC: Before I roll, how do you want to handle burning Luck? Should i announce before the roll how much I want to burn to add to the result, or make the roll and if it fails decide if I want to burn luck to reach the DC? If I announce to burn luck before the roll, and I succeed just on the dice roll alone, do I still lose the Luck? I've seen it played out each of these ways before and am curious how you plan to do it...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases