Somewhere else...

Binks

Explorer
Plenty big. Probably 20 * 20. You're on the West wall. You entered through the South. The river is on the East. To the North is the opening that leads deeper in. This is where the bad guys entered from.

Got it.

Roll a Dungeoneering check (high DC) and lets find out. If you succeed then you can find a firing position from cover.

Ok. I'm going to pick my way through this. I'll start with this one.

[sblock]Dungeoneering + 8. Rolled 9. 17 fails the high DC[/sblock]

So there is no cover up here. That is ok because there has to be at least partial concealment given that these are humans who need torchlight, in a huge cavern, with no light sources beyond the singular torch. That will allow me to use Wood Elf Reactive Stealth for the first time!

- If you want to do a terrain stunt, then you'll use Dungeoneering (medium DC) and weapon vs AC. If you succeed, then you can locate one of the aforementioned, weak stalactites nearby the grouped marauders for a ranged 10 burst 1, limited-use attack; 1d10 + 7 damage. You can get all 3 bad guys + 1 lizard.

- The bad guys aren't too far from the caves egress (with respect to you guys). No columns are in your way so you have a clear line of sight.

Perfect. I'm definitely going to use surprise round to attempt to loose a stalactite on them. However, first:

1) I'm going to wrap the arrowhead of an arrow in wax or cloth or some kind of blunting material. I want to fire it at the chimney that I dropped down from. I want to signal Terilion's Assault Team and my Bear to enter the cavern. I'm sure that is a trivial shot and I don't need to roll, but if you want me to, I rolled a 7 + 11 = 18.

2) As soon as I can see them, I'm going to stalactite shrapnel bomb these guys. I'll resolve that now. FYI - if the torchbearer and the other guy are minions, I'll spend Elven Accuracy to make sure they're down. If they aren't, then I'll save it for later:

[sblock]Stalactite Shrapnel Bomb!

- Dungeoneering: 11 + 8 = 19. Passes the medium DC.

On Torchbearer - 1 (Elven Accuracy Reroll). 16. Dead if minion. If not, then he takes no damage as I won't be using EA.

On Guy With Wheelbarrow - 8 + 11 + 2 (CA). 21. If that hits and he's not a minion then 1d10 + 7 = 17 damage.

On Guy Who Is Feeding the Lizards and Probably a Leader - 3. If the Torchbearer isn't a minion, I'll use EA for this. 14 + 13 = 27 and hits. 17 damage if EA is used.

On Lizard1 - 13 + 13 = 26. Hits. 17 damage.[/sblock]

3) Saerie Initiative + Reactive Stealth (Stealth check to hide on initiative if any cover or concealment). Initiative is 14 + 7 = 21. Stealth is 13 + 11 = 24.

Bear Initiative = 23. My Bear will delay until 21 so we will both go at the same time.
Assault Team Initiative = 12.

4) If I go first and I'm hidden, then I'm going to rain death upon the guy feeding and interacting with the lizards. I'm pretty confident he isn't a Minion, but if he is, he might be dead. If he is a Standard or better (looks to be a beastmaster type like the rancor monster trainer), then I'm going to turn him into a pin-cushion:

a) Twin Strike (Encounter)

then

b) Action Point RBA with Battle Wrath Stance (with Guidance of the Past Encounter Power).

[sblock]Twin Strike on Rancor Trainer! - Rolled 7 and 17. If I have CA from Stealth, that is 20 and 30 total. If the 20 misses, then just use the first damage roll. 3 + 6 = 9. 8 + 6 = 14.

Action Point RBA with Battle Wrath Stance (with Guidance of the Past Encounter Power) - 20 (!) and 6. 22 damage.[/sblock]

5) My Bear will just double move toward them with a great, bestial roar. I'll need to see the battlemap to figure out where to go.

I'm not going to bother narrating all of that because there is a lot of if/then going on. Once you let me know how all of the above works out, I'll edit this post with the descriptive summation of my turn.

EDIT:

Surprise Round

Saerie

[sblock]Stalactite Shrapnel Bomb!

- Dungeoneering: 11 + 8 = 19. Passes the medium DC.

On Torchbearer Minion - 1 (Elven Accuracy Reroll). 16. Dead.

On Guy With Wheelbarrow Minion - 8 + 11 + 2 (CA). 21. Dead.

On M - 3. Miss.

On Lizard1 - 13 + 13 = 26. Hits. 17 damage.[/sblock]

Round 1

Saerie

[sblock]Reactive Stealth on Initiative (Stealth check to hide on initiative if any cover or concealment). Stealth is 13 + 11 = 24.

Minor: Battle Wrath Stance.

Standard: Twin Strike on M - Rolled 7 and 17. CA from Stealth, so 20 and 30 total. 3 + 6 = 9 and 8 + 6 = 14. 23 total.

Action Point: RBA with Battle Wrath Stance (with Guidance of the Past Encounter Power) on M - 20 (!) and 6. 22 damage.

Move Action: Back one square to B11. Presumably I'm pretty much shrouded in darkness and Total Concealment. If so, then 7 + 11 = 18 for Stealth.[/sblock]

So, both Minions dead, 17 damage on L1 and 45 damage on M. Hopefully stealthed up there.

Bear

[sblock]Move Action: Move East and North to H12. Presumably I'm pretty much shrouded in darkness and Total Concealment. If so, then 7 + 11 = 18 for Stealth.

Move Action: Move straight North to H9 and then Diagonally NE to I8.

Action Point: Challenging Roar Encounter Power CB3 on all 3 lizards. + 10 vs Will. 13 on L1. 23 on L2. 18 on L3.

Hit: The bear companion pushes the target up to 3 squares, and the target is marked until the end of the bear companion's next turn.
Miss: The bear companion can push the target 1 square.
[/sblock]

Saerie's scanning eyes take in a precarious crack in the hanging stalactite. As soon as her companions' torch comes into view at the bottom of the southern chimney, she takes a knee, pulls, exhales, and looses. Perfect. The stalactite comes free from its earthen casing and rains hell on those below. Two fall before they realize what has happened. The master of the beasts recoils just in time and growls angrily as the creature he is handling is impaled by a shard.

Quick as death she has loosed three more arrows before the huge man can turn around, each finding their mark in his girthy, naked torso. His huge mass is like armor unto itself but he bleeds, so he will fall soon enough.

Her bear lopes with power and fury. It engages the giant lizards with all the primal rage of a mother bear protecting her cubs. His roar shakes the cavern and causes the scaley beasts to flinch and recoil for a moment, sincere effort to escape the bear's ferocity.

@Manbearcat Done. Let me know which lizards are affected. They're pushed 3 and marked or pushed 1.

Assault Team

[sblock]Move Action: Move to P11. From there, I have direct line of sight around the stalagmite in front of me from one of squares to M, L1, and L3.

Standard Action: Coordinated Javelins (Encounter Power) + 12 vs AC on M, L1, and L3.
Rolled 12, 7, 16. All of those hit AC 19 so they all hit. 21 damage on M, 23 on L1, 14 (boo!) on L3. Shift to S9 (top right square of AT's space). Swarm can squeeze through medium spaces so can move through Q11.[/sblock]

Just a reminder. L2 will take 5 damage from Spear Hedge aura of they end adjacent to AT. Pretty much guaranteed it looks like!

I know where the positioning is on the map, so I'm going to go ahead and take Saerie's and Bear's turns. You can update the map after that if you wish.

Round 2

Saerie

[sblock]Minor: Mobile Blade Stance.

Standard: RBA with Mobile Blade Stance + 12 (+ 2 CA for Stealth) on M. Rolled 13 so 25 total. 16 damage (Quick Swap Free Action here to stow my bow) and move to edge and climb one square down. Athletics check is 9 + 12 = 21. Cave wall is 15 or 20 if slippery. That should be good.

Move Action: Mighty Sprint. Move + 4, ignore Difficult Terrain, + 5 to Athletics. Climbing all the way down the wall. Athletics check is 24. 30 foot wall total and I'm already down 5 feet. That should get me to the bottom and in the cave one square. I'll end in E10.[/sblock]

Bear

[sblock]Move Action: Shift to N8.

Standard Action: Second Wind (Encounter Power) . Healing Surge and + 2 power bonus to defenses UEoNT.

Minor Action: Loyal Companion's Presence (Encounter Power). Healing Surge + 2d6 (7) HP to Bear.[/sblock]

Edit - Math fail on healing surge value. 41 HP back to bear and + 2 power bonus to defenses UEoNT. Bear is at 60/68 HP.

Terilion and his men wade in, perfectly timing their javelins. They each find a home. The circle right around a stalagmite to flank their enemies. Their spear hedge promises death.

The valiant protector spirit of the bear shrugs off the odds and is renewed by his companions joining the melee fray. As arrows and javelins rain death on his enemies, he knows the fight will turn and is invigorated by it.

Saerie lets loose another arrow from the darkness of the cavern ledge. It finds its mark again, but the big man will not fall. This is a hard world, filled with hard people, and he is yet another testament to it. Seeing her bear fight with such courage against such terrible odds, all for her, sends her into a flurry of activity. Bow slung over her shoulder, she is moving even as the arrow finds its mark. She moves down the wall with the speed and grace of a leopard. When her feet touch down on the cold, stone floor, her eyes narrow at the big man. He must die.

Assault Team

[sblock]Move Action: One square left to Q9 and Q10. I'll eat the 5 damage from the stalagmites at the start of next turn to get L3 in Spear Hedge Aura and attack it with Cage of Spears. Well worth the trade-off.

Standard Action: Cage of Spears + 12 vs AC on L2 and L3 (+2 CA with Bear). [/sblock]
[sblock]Rolled 16 and 6. 28 and 20. Both hit. 12 and 14 damage. Both are slowed and cannot shift (save ends).[/sblock]

Round 3

Saerie

[sblock]Free Action: Quick Swap to draw my sword.

Minor: Battle Wrath Stance.

Standard: Charge, ending in L8, + 12 vs AC (+ 2 CA and + 1 charge) on M. Rolled 13 so 28 total. Power Attack (No Action Encounter Power) for 27 damage. Given that he was bloodied before, he has to be a Standard. With 5 regen and 5 temp HP, I've gone through 100 HP now. So I'm pretty sure he's dead.[/sblock]

Bear

[sblock]Standard Action: Assuming M is dead, Ursine Crush + 10 (+ 2 CA) vs Fort on L3. Rolled 3. 15 surely doesn't hit.

Move Action: Shift down 1 square to N9 (out of the reach of L1!).[/sblock]

Bear wouldn't hit M on a 3 anyway, so it doesn't much matter if he's dead or not. But I'm pretty sure he's dead.

The battle reaches a crescendo and its peak leaves the huge man impaled on a great sword. As he slumps to the cold stone floor, his lights turn out before he can register just what as happened. Terrilion and his men have two of the massive lizards hemmed in. Its only a matter of time before the cavern grows quiet.

Last edited:

1) "Guy With Wheelbarrow" and "Torchbearer" are indeed both minions. So they're down and your Elven Accuracy is spent.

2) The Lizards and their Master (M) are all Brutes so AC 19. That means all of the stuff in surprise and in your 1st round hit. The man handling them is a big, beefy guy. Thick, barrel-chested, no shirt, disgustingly filthy breeches. If he's coming near you, he's throwing meaty haymakers because he has no weapon.

3) You have a Move Action/Minor and your Bear is up now (see initiative below).

MAP FEATURES

DOWNWARD ARROWS
- These are limited use, stalactite shrapnel bombs (as used on surprise round). When they fall, the center square of the burst becomes difficult terrain with an outlined square. See the outline around M.

LEFTWARD ARROWS
- These are small, jagged stalagmites that have nasty crystalline shards coming off of them. Any creature that starts their turn adjacent to one of these takes 5 damage.

SQUARES - This is thigh deep water and difficult terrain.

SQUARES - This is the trough the lizards are eating from. This is challenging terrain and can be navigated with a medium DC Acrobatics or Athletics check. Otherwise, its 2 squares of movement.

RIVER - Challenging terrain. Difficult Athletics check or slide 3 squares north.

STAR - This is the torch dropped by Torchbearer Guy. Your Assault Team also bears a torch.

COLUMNS - The size large circular structures are blocking terrain.

LEDGE - Your ledge is 30 feet up. You have partial concealment up there.

INITIATIVE

Saerie
Bear
Master
Lizards
Assault Team

@Binks , take your Move and Minor Actions. Take your Bear's turn. Please also edit your post to reflect that action; Surprise Round and your First Round. Your Assault Team is up after I'm done.

@Binks Bear's Challenging Roar affects all but L1. L1 is not marked and he couldn't be pushed back as he is against blocking terrain. The other two are marked and pushed back 3 squares. That puts L3 adjacent to a stalactite so he takes 5 damage at the start of his turn.

Round 1

Master

[sblock]Move Action: Circle to H9.

Standard Action: Overwhelm + 12 vs AC on Bear. + 19 = 31. Hits. 19 damage to Bear and pushes Bear 2 squares to M6 and then shifts up to 2 squares to L7.

Minor Action: Fresh Meat (Encounter Power). L1 makes a melee basic attack - Chomp - on Bear. + 12 + 2 (CA) vs AC. + 4 = 18. Misses.[/sblock]

L1, L2, L3 (takes 5 damage for starting turn adjacent to stalagmite)

[sblock]L1

Standard Action: Chomp and Fling + 10 + 2 (CA) vs Fort on Bear. + 16 = 28. Hits. 12 damage to Bear and 2 squares forced movement to O7.

Move Action: Move to M7 as NE-most square.

L2

Standard Action: Chomp + 12 + 2 (CA) vs AC on Bear. + 19 = 31. Hits. 18 damage to Bear. Bear is bloodied.

L3

5 damage in for starting turn adjacent to stalagmite.

Standard Action: Chomp + 12 + 2 (CA) vs AC on Bear. + 7 = 21. Misses.[/sblock]

Ouch. Bear is bloodied.

The beast of a man barely registers the three arrows protruding from his gigantic chest, stomach, and meaty arms. Like a bear himself, he raises his arms out to his sides and circles your bear companion. When the moment is right he plants his foot, steps forward with clasped fists and throws a viscous, two-handed uppercut, knocking your companion backward as it fends off the onslaught. Just as quickly the hulk of a man is on your protective companion again. He yells, "FRESH MEAT!" His huge lizard friends respond in feeding frenzy of jaws, tails and scales.

Assault Team is up. M is bloodied after their attack.

Round 2

Master

[sblock]Triggered Action: The Master starts his turn bloodied.
Incredible Toughness (Encounter Power)
Effect (No Action): The Master gains regeneration 5 while he is bloodied. He regenerates 5 HP.

Move Action: Move to M8 (Flanking Bear).

Standard Action: Feed (Bloodied) + 10 (+ 2 CA) vs Fort on Bear. + 17 = 29. Hits. 10 damage to Bear and Master gains 5 temporary hit points. Any ally that hits Bear before the end of his next turn gains 5 temporary hit points.[/sblock]

L1, L2, L3 (takes 5 damage for starting turn adjacent to stalagmite)

[sblock]L1

Standard Action: Chomp and Fling + 10 vs Fort on Bear. + 10 = 20. Misses.

L3

Takes 5 damage for starting turn adjacent to stalagmite

Move Action: One square north (O and P 7) away from stalagmite

Standard Action: Chomp and Fling + 10 vs Fort on Bear. + 11 = 21. Misses due to Second Wind defense bonus.

L2

Standard Action: Chomp and Fling + 10 vs Fort on Assault Team. + 1 (ack) = suck. Misses.

Takes 5 damage for ending its turn in Assault Team's Spear Hedge Aura.[/sblock]

The burly man hammers away at the furry ball of muscle, claws, and fangs. With every wild swing, something inside him wells up and his haymakers are soon accompanied by savage grunts and growls. His beasts cannot take advantage of his furious momentum and rally themselves. Your comrades have two of them pinned between the tearing shards of a stalagmite and their hedge of spears.

Big plans for that round. 5 temp HP rider and no one hits. Pretty lame.

@Binks , Assault Team is up. I'm not going to update the map on here unless you need it done, or unless someone reading wants an updated map uploaded. You can see it at home on my laptop anyway!

Attachments

• CAVERN ROUND 1.pdf
    501 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

@Binks , now that their alpha has been slain, the three giant lizards aren't particularly interested in staying in a fight against prey that is just as likely to make a meal of them as they are of the prey. They snap their jaws to put you all on the defensive (L1 on you, L3 on Bear, L2 on AT), L1 grabs the body of the torchbearer in its jaws and L3 grabs the very meaty meal of a corpse of their former master and they each make a beat for the water of the river. L2 and 3 are both slowed but they use the Run option for + 2 and get close to the water's edge. L1 uses Run and can easily slink into the water. You can take OA's against them but you won't kill them and they're out of the fight. The creatures' necks show terrible, infected wear marks where the great iron rings that kept them housed in this place chafed against their scales and eventually caused the injury. They've probably been captured, mistreated for some time, finally had their spirits broken and submitted to .

Mechanically, you and Bear are both hit (15 and 21 damage respectively) but you can describe it however you see fit. The Assault Team takes 5 damage from the adjacent stalagmite.

Much more concerning than the retreating lizards is the cacophonous echoes from down that cavern hall that the three men emerged from. The accoustics of this place surely make sounds more omionous than they are, but the viscious sounds of dogs, metal clanging as if cages are opening, and human rallying cries are unmistakably numerous. The violent racket in this cavern has clearly alerted the natives!

You can, of course, get your short rest replenishment. Beyond that, what are you doing?

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
@Binks , now that their alpha has been slain, the three giant lizards aren't particularly interested in staying in a fight against prey that is just as likely to make a meal of them as they are of the prey. They snap their jaws to put you all on the defensive (L1 on you, L3 on Bear, L2 on AT), L1 grabs the body of the torchbearer in its jaws and L3 grabs the very meaty meal of a corpse of their former master and they each make a beat for the water of the river. L2 and 3 are both slowed but they use the Run option for + 2 and get close to the water's edge. L1 uses Run and can easily slink into the water. You can take OA's against them but you won't kill them and they're out of the fight. The creatures' necks show terrible, infected wear marks where the great iron rings that kept them housed in this place chafed against their scales and eventually caused the injury. They've probably been captured, mistreated for some time, finally had their spirits broken and submitted to.

We're not going to attack them.

I give my bear a restraining pat on the back tuft of his neck and tell the men "let them leave this place with their victorious predations. They will eat well tonight, free for the first time in a long time, and they will bother us no further."

As the barking ensues, I will look at them and say "Catch your breath and prepare yourselves for what is to come...quickly, help me with this!". I will be moving over to the limestone column in P/Q 5/6.

Mechanically, you and Bear are both hit (15 and 21 damage respectively) but you can describe it however you see fit. The Assault Team takes 5 damage from the adjacent stalagmite.

Short Rest. I'll spend the HS necessary to get to full and my Bear will spend two more. 7/10 left for me and 6/12 for my Bear. The Assault Team is at 37/42 HP.

Much more concerning than the retreating lizards is the cacophonous echoes from down that cavern hall that the three men emerged from. The accoustics of this place surely make sounds more omionous than they are, but the viscious sounds of dogs, metal clanging as if cages are opening, and human rallying cries are unmistakably numerous. The violent racket in this cavern has clearly alerted the natives!

...what are you doing?

I'm bringing the men over to the large, limestone column I mentioned above. It should be much more fragile than its appearance belies. Its 30 feet tall as well. It will definitely have some vulnerable spots. What I'm wondering about is, can I locate a fragile point in it with Dungeoneering, compromise it and have it fall on the northern opening to the cavern when this group emerges from it? At a direct diagonal, that would be 20 feet away. Maybe Terilion and his men can aid me in locating the vulnerabilities of the column and then we can chisel it with pitons or something (or smashing it)?

Looking at their stats, they should have a + 1 to Wisdom and + 3 for level = + 4. They aren't trained in Dungeoneering. So Aid Another at DC 13 (10 + 1/2 level) for a + 2 on success or a - 1 on failure? If you'll let me do this, I'm going to use my Guidance of the Past Encounter Power for this effort.

[sblock]Assault Team Aid Another: + 4 (+ 18) = 22. Could have used that roll for the primary check...

Saerie Dungeoneering with Guidance of the Past Encounter Power: + 8 + 2 for AA (+ 4 or + 17). That would be 27. Even without them aiding, that would be 25 and exceed the hard DC.[/sblock]

So...timber?...tumbling column attack on their collective heads when they enter the room?

So...timber?...tumbling column attack on their collective heads when they enter the room?

Timber, down goes the column. Standard Action for surprise round.

Target: Creatures in Burst 1 centered on M3.
Attack: Level + 3 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + one-half level damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: The area becomes difficult terrain.

1) Roll 3 of those attacks. 2 menacing Attack Dogs (Minions) on 10 ft leashes and their Handler (throwing and hand axes).

10 + 9 = 19 on Atack Dog 1
10 + 12 = 22 on Attack Dog 2
10 + 2 = 12 on Handler

1 minion Attack Dog is dead. Roll half damage for the Handler.

2) Roll initiative. Bad guys are:

20 - Attack Dogs (Minions)
13 - Handlers

Saerie is on 12
Bear is on 11
Assault Team is on 10

My guys all go last. Bloody bad rolls for everything.

Alright, that makes the final tally:

INITIATIVE

Attack Dogs (Minions)
Handlers
Saerie
Bear
Assault Team

3) Tell me your positioning on the map, I'll update it and we can begin round 1.

Bear is tucked out of sight in I3, just outside of the column's burst. I'm hoping to set up a Difficult Terrain guantlet of OA death as they enter the cavern.

Make 1 OA versus an Attack Dog (minion). AC is 22. If you hit, its dead. Everyone else is pouring in the room after that and no further OAs. I'll take my actions and update the map/upload it after you perform the OA

Saerie is in R5, behind the pillar (to activate it and some cover vs ranged).

Assault Team is in P and Q next to the pillar (to activate it and some cover vs ranged).

The column you're behind now is (a) Difficult Terrain and (b) provides Partial Cover from attacks that have line of effect through it.

The grey squares of L-N/3-5 are the difficult terrain rubble left over from the column.

ROUND 1

Handler 1 and its two Attack Dogs (in L3 and L4)

[sblock]Attack Dog in L4

Move Action: Spent to get to its current location.

Standard Action: Menacing Growl (fear, psychic - Encounter) CB2 (enemies) + 11 vs Will vs Bear. Rolled 10. 21 hits. 4 psychic damage and the target grants CA UEotNT.

Handler 1 in N4

Minor Action: Go for the Throat! Effect: One Attack Dog within 5 squares (AD in L3) of the Handler deals 5 extra damage with melee attacks until the end of the ally’s next turn.

Standard Action: Sick 'Em! Effect: Choose one Attack Dog (AD in L3) within 2 squares of the Handler. The Handler slides that Attack Dog 3 squares (to H4), and the Attack Dog makes a melee basic attack as a free action against a creature of the Handler’s choice. Bite and Thrash + 13 vs AC vs Bear. Rolled 1. Miss.

Attack Dog in L3

Standard Action: Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC vs Bear. Rolled 13. 28 hits. 10 damage and Bear slides to I4.[/sblock]

Handler 2 and its three Attack Dogs (in Q4, R4, and S4)

[sblock]Attack Dog in S4

Standard Action: Menacing Growl (fear, psychic - Encounter) CB2 (enemies) + 11 vs Will vs Saeri. Rolled 7. 17 hits. 4 psychic damage and the target grants CA UEotNT.

Handler 2 in Q3

Minor Action: Go for the Throat! Effect: One Attack Dog within 5 squares (AD in R4) of the Handler deals 5 extra damage with melee attacks until the end of the ally’s next turn.

Standard Action: Sick 'Em! Effect: Choose one Attack Dog (AD in R4) within 2 squares of the Handler. The Handler slides that Attack Dog 3 squares (to S5), and the Attack Dog makes a melee basic attack as a free action against a creature of the Handler’s choice. Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC vs Saeri. Rolled 16. 31 hits. 10 damage and Saerie slides to R4.

Attack Dog formerly in R4 (now S5)

Move Action: Spent to get to its former location, slide by Handler to its current location.

Standard Action: Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC vs Saerie. Rolled 11. 26 hits. 10 damage on Saerie.

Attack Dog in Q4

Standard Action: Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA - 2 Partial Cover) vs AC vs Saerie. Rolled 14. 27 hits. 5 damage.[/sblock]

Handler 3 and its two Attack Dogs (in O7 and P8)

[sblock]Attack Dog in O7

Standard Action: Menacing Growl (fear, psychic - Encounter) CB2 (enemies) + 11 vs Will vs Assault Team. Rolled 19. 30 hits. 4 +10 for AoE Vuln = 14 psychic damage and the target grants CA UEotNT.

Handler 1 in N4

Minor Action: Go for the Throat! Effect: One Attack Dog within 5 squares (AD in P8) of the Handler deals 5 extra damage with melee attacks until the end of the ally’s next turn.

Standard Action: Sick 'Em! Effect: Choose one Attack Dog (AD in P8) within 2 squares of the Handler. The Handler slides that Attack Dog 3 squares (stays put), and the Attack Dog makes a melee basic attack as a free action against a creature of the Handler’s choice. Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC vs Assault Team. Rolled 4. 19 misses.

Attack Dog in P8

Standard Action: Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC vs Assault Team. Rolled 8. 23 hits. 10/2 = 5 (swarm) damage and the Assault Team slides down 1 square adjacent to the stalagmite.

However, AD in P8 does die to Spear Hedge Aura at the end of its turn.[/sblock]

Ouch. Beatdown.

Fierce growls, hungry yaps and stern commands emanate from every corner of the northern end of the cavern. Saerie and her Bear are each surrounded in separate corners. They fight with the fury of caged animals just to fend off the onslaught. Terilion and his men fair marginally better in their tight formation, managing to slay one of the beasts.

Battle map at the end of my turns for Round 1 attached.

Of note:

1) 5 damage to Assault Team at the start of their next turn for being adjacent to the stalagmite.

2) Any melee attack misses against the Attack Dogs automatically yields 5 damage-in due to a ferocious counter-bite. Resolve that on your turns.

ROUND 2

Handler 1, Handler 2 and Attack Dog in P4

[sblock]Handler 1

Move Action: Move back into tunnel in L1.

Standard Action: Confounding Shot + 10 (+ 2 CA) vs Will against Bear. Rolled 8. 20 Hits. 13 damage, slides 2 squares to O9 and is dazed UEoNT.

Handler 2

Minor Action: Go for the Throat! Effect: One Attack Dog within 5 squares (AD in P4) of the Handler deals 5 extra damage with melee attacks until the end of the ally’s next turn.

Standard Action: Sick 'Em! Effect: Choose one Attack Dog (AD in P4) within 2 squares of the Handler. The Handler slides that Attack Dog 1 square (to Q4), and the Attack Dog makes a melee basic attack as a free action against a creature of the Handler’s choice. Bite and Thrash + 13 vs AC vs Assault Team. Rolled 17. Hit. 10/2 = 5 damage and the AD slides the AT 1 square to TS/5&6.

Attack Dog in Q4

Standard Action: Menacing Growl (fear, psychic - Encounter) CB2 (enemies) + 11 (+2 CA) vs Will vs Assault Team. Rolled 4. 17 misses.[/sblock]

Handler 3 and Attack Dog in O7

[sblock]Handler 3

Minor Action: Go for the Throat! Effect: One Attack Dog within 5 squares (AD in R4) of the Handler deals 5 extra damage with melee attacks until the end of the ally’s next turn.

Standard Action: Sick 'Em! Effect: Choose one Attack Dog (AD in O7) within 2 squares of the Handler. The Handler slides that Attack Dog 3 squares (to O8), and the Attack Dog makes a melee basic attack as a free action against a creature of the Handler’s choice. Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC on Bear. Rolled 9. 24 hits. 10 damage.

Move Action: Moves to M2 in tunnel.

Attack Dog formerly in R4 (now S5)

Standard Action: Bite and Thrash + 13 (+2 CA) vs AC vs Saerie. Rolled 18. 33 hits. 10 damage and Bear slides to O10.

Move Action: Moves to N2.[/sblock]

One of the Handlers unleashes a brutal volley from his crossbow. The ammunition's blunted tip explodes in sand and irritating ash, knocking the Bear back as it flails wildly about its face, a futile attempt to get the irritant out. Another handler and his dog wade in to attempt to finish the proud creature off. When the dust settles, he's down but not out, and surely ready for more. Seeing the battle turning against them, they begin to call for a retreat into the tunnel. The other handler and bear apparently feel the battle can yet be won as they continue to press and test Terilon's group formation.

Attachments

• DOGFIGHT ROUND 1.pdf
    498.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
Timber, down goes the column. Standard Action for surprise round.

Target: Creatures in Burst 1 centered on M3.
Attack: Level + 3 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + one-half level damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Miss: Half damage.
Effect: The area becomes difficult terrain.

I like.

1) Roll 3 of those attacks. 2 menacing Attack Dogs (Minions) on 10 ft leashes and their Handler (throwing and hand axes).

10 + 9 = 19 on Atack Dog 1
10 + 12 = 22 on Attack Dog 2
10 + 2 = 12 on Handler

1 minion Attack Dog is dead. Roll half damage for the Handler.

10 damage / 2 = 5 damage to Handler

2) Roll initiative. Bad guys are:

20 - Attack Dogs (Minions)
13 - Handlers

Saerie is on 12
Bear is on 11
Assault Team is on 10

My guys all go last. Bloody bad rolls for everything.

3) Tell me your positioning on the map, I'll update it and we can begin round 1.

Bear is tucked out of sight in I3, just outside of the column's burst. I'm hoping to set up a Difficult Terrain guantlet of OA death as they enter the cavern.

Make 1 OA versus an Attack Dog (minion). AC is 22. If you hit, its dead. Everyone else is pouring in the room after that and no further OAs. I'll take my actions and update the map/upload it after you perform the OA.

12 + 12 = 24. Dead Attack Dog.

Saerie is in R5, behind the pillar (to activate it and some cover vs ranged).

Assault Team is in P and Q next to the pillar (to activate it and some cover vs ranged).

Saerie, Terilion and the men work feverishly to compromise the structural integrity of the limestone column as the sounds of barking and growling echo closer and closer. As the creatures pour into the room on the leashes of their masters, the column breaks free and the jagged limestone pillar hits the floor with thunderous fury. As they continue to pour into the room, Saerie's bear tears into the flank of one of the dog's with his great maw.

Two down. Too many to go.

Well, this is a bit of a pickle. I'm going to do something a little unorthodox here as Saerie's in a bad way. Going to waste the damage portion of Power Strike on a Minion so I can slide all the guys adjacent to me away from me so I can get the hell out of dodge and put some distance between her and these 4 guys. Hopefully, I can lure them into an AoE bomb.

Round 1

Saerie

[sblock]Free Action: Quick Swap - Draw sword.

Minor Action: Mobile Blade Stance.

Standard Action: MBA on Attack Dog in S5 (because he's nearest and because he still has his howl encounter) + 14 vs AC. Rolled 11. 25 hits. Dead. No Action Power Attack Encounter Power (1/2). Slide all enemies adjacent 1 square - Attack Dog in S4 > T5, Attack Dog in Q4 > P4, Handler 2 in Q3 > P3. Free Action MBS to T8.

Move action: Move to S14 and Stealth @ - 5 due to moving greater than 2 squares. Should have Superior Cover behind the column in that spot. Stealth + 6. Rolled 13. 19 total.[/sblock]

Bear

[sblock]Standard Action: Frenzied Mauling on Attack Dog in H4 + 12 vs AC. Rolled 16. Dead. Another creature adjacent takes 4 damage. Attack Dog in L4 is down too.

Move Action: Move to N7 around the Difficult Terrain.[/sblock]

Assault Team (takes 5 damage from stalagmite)

[sblock]Standard Action: Coordinated Javelins (Encounter Powers) + 12 vs AC. + 16 = 28 on Attack Dog in T5. Dead. Missed Attack Dog in O7. + 10 = 22 on Handler 3. 20 damage to H3. Shift 3 squares North.

Move: 1 space north ending in R/S 4/5.[/sblock]

The heroes rally despite the odds. Saerie's bladework is a blur and the surrounding dogs and their handler scramble away to avoid its razor edge. One dog isn't so lucky. A roar, a rearing on its hind legs and a vicious mauling leaves two dogs dead in the bears wake. Terilion and his team break formation, throw their javelins leaving death in their wake. The battlefield shifts wildly as the Bear wades into new enemies, Terillions men renew formation against Saerie's attackers and Saerie skulks away from it all, readying her bow with murderous intent.

Round 2

Saerie

[sblock]Free Action: Quick Swap - Sheathe sword and draw bow.

Move action: Move to O11, adjacent to Bear. There is no source of light back here and that is basically 10 squares from the closest bad guy I'm targeting so I assume I still have at least partial concealment so I should still be hidden. I assume my 19 Stealth is good.

Minor Action: Iron Resurgence (Encounter Power). Bear is exactly bloodied @ 34/68 HP. He loses a healing surge, spends 2 to get back to full and gains 8 temporary HPs.

Standard Action: Twin Strike (Encounter Power) on Attack Dog in N2 and H3 in M2 + 11 (+2 CA) vs AC. Rolled 15 vs AD and 8 vs H3. 28 and 21 both hit. AD Dead. 12 damage on H3. Free Action MBS to N7.[/sblock]

Bear (Dazed and takes 5 damage - adjacent to stalagmite)

[sblock]Minor Action: Loyal Companion's Presence (Encounter Power) on Saerie. Healing Surge + 2d6 HP. 26 total.[/sblock]

Assault Team

[sblock]Move Action: Moves to R/S 4/5.

Standard Action: Cage of Spears + 12 vs AC on AD and H2. Rolled 10 vs AD and 5 vs H2. AD dead. Misses H2.[/sblock]

Saerie skulks up to her Bear companion and runs a hand through the tuft of fear on the back of his neck. They have been by each others' sides in a hundred battles and that steadfastness comforts them both. There is no creature in all the worlds and heavens she would rather have by her side when her life is in danger. She lines up one shot, then another. One enemy knows death. Another is merely wounded prey and will bleed out soon enough.

Terilion and his men move in unison and another foe falls before him. Terilion can feel the man on his left and his right slowing. The wounds of this battle have been great. He fears they will not make it out of this cave alive.

Last edited:

With the fight turned against them, one of the Handlers in the tunnel shouts "Fall back to the Den!" He and the other Handler sprint through the northern tunnel and are out of sight around a left bend, their torchlight still playing on the walls behind them. [MENTION=6775039]Binks[/MENTION] , the Handler adjacent to Terilion's Assault Team Shifts 1 (Move Action) away and then Runs for the tunnel (Move Action). He doesn't get terribly far up the tunnel due to the distance he has to travel and the difficult terrain.

What are you doing? Are you pursuing? Something else?

Binks

Explorer
Are you pursuing?

Well, I'm pretty sure they're looking to get some more pals to bring to the party. So...of course! I'm pretty sure this is the ideal situation for Mighty Sprint - ignore difficult terrain, + 4 speed, + 5 Athletics. We're all going after them at a breakneck pace. Group Athletics check?

[sblock]Saerie - Mighty Sprint (Encounter Power) + 14 Athletics. Rolled 19. 33. Passes High DC.

Bear + 12 Athletics. Rolled 13. 25. Passes High DC.

Assault Team + 11 Athletics. Rolled 6. 17.[/sblock]

2/3 pass the high DC. This place is fraught with traps, dangerous hazards, and the potential for ambush. As we round that bend to the left, I want to attune my senses to whatever comes next.

[sblock]Secondary Skill Perception + 14. Rolled 10. 24 passes everything. Just looking for + 2 forward when responding to what awaits us.[/sblock]

No words need to be exchanged. Everyone knows the dire situation before us. If they get to this "den", reinforcements or a reinforced position, possibly beyond our capabilities, will await us. My bear and I have chased down hundreds of prey and escaped the pursuit of a hundred more fomorian raiding parties. The rush of the chase compels our legs to unparalleled pace. We gain.

As we round the bend, my eyes, ears, and nose take in everything and what I see, hear, and smell is not to my liking...

Well, I'm pretty sure they're looking to get some more pals to bring to the party.

Alright, this chase will be a complexity 2 Skill Challenge to prevent just that. Your Group Athletics check is good and that was going to be your high DC.

1/6 successes
0/1 failures
1/1 high DC
As we round the bend, my eyes, ears, and nose take in everything and what I see, hear, and smell is not to my liking...

Before you reach the bend a THWACK sound emanates from beyond your sight. As you turn the gradual left, a familiar smell greets you; oil. A cask has been upturned and splintered to pieces. Due to the gently sloping grade of the stone, the lamp oil quickly spreads down this corridor toward you. Standing at the far end is one of the men with a toothy grin. In his hand is a torch freshly pulled from a sconce on the stone wall. He lets go of it and it seems to fall in slow motion. You know for certain that you could a shot at him, but at what cost?

What are you doing? You can take the shot with CA but if you do so, you're looking a Group Acrobatics or Endurance Check at the Hard DC. Terrilion's men are in bad shape...

You get your +2 bonus from Perception, whichever you decide.

Binks

Explorer
What are you doing? You can take the shot with CA but if you do so, you're looking a Group Acrobatics or Endurance Check at the Hard DC. Terrilion's men are in bad shape...

You get your +2 bonus from Perception, whichever you decide.

Group Endurance Check.

[sblock]Saerie Endurance + 9 (+ 2 Perception SS bonus). Rolled 20. 31 passes high DC.

Terilion's Assault Team Endurance + 11 (+ 2 Perception SS bonus). Rolled 19. 32 passes high DC.

Bear Endurance + 7 (+ 2 Perception SS bonus). Rolled 8. 17 passes the medium DC.

At least 2/3 pass.[/sblock]

The heroes gather their cloaks in close and blast through the field of licking flames. The bears fur and tough hide is singed but the proud creature is unphased.

If I've got a shot at the guy running away who dropped the torch, I'm taking it, just wanting to lame him.

[sblock]RBA + 11 (presumably I don't have CA this time). Rolled 4. Miss. Elven Accuracy Encounter Power for reroll. Rolled 11. 22 should hit.[/sblock]

Let me know if I had a shot after emerging from the flames and what happens with my shot (22 is probably a hit but its tight). If he is indeed down, I'm going to tell Terilion and his men to restrain the lamed man as me and my bear give chase to the others.

Remove ads