Does a video/visual improve a song?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Does a visual of some sort -- MTV-style music video, a stage performance, etc. -- improve a song? Some songs? Can a visual ruin a song?

I'm loving the song "Let It Go" from Frozen. I've watched the video on YouTube a half dozen times, (even though I've not seen the movie). I saw on a national news show this morning that lots of people have been singing the song and posting their performance on YouTube. I haven't heard the song on the radio, so every time I've heard it, it was with the accompanying visuals from the movie. I wonder if I'd like the song as much if I had heard it without any visuals first.

Are there any songs that really must be seen instead of just heard?

Bullgrit

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Most rap videos are awesome to watch ... on mute. Same for Shakira videos. Oh, and this:

[video=youtube;72WhEqeS6AQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72WhEqeS6AQ[/video]

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
If it has to have visuals, it is not a song, it is a performance. Music should be something that you can close your eyes to and feel in your soul, it touches passions within you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If it has to have visuals, it is not a song, it is a performance. Music should be something that you can close your eyes to and feel in your soul, it touches passions within you.

There is a wide, wide expanse between, "it needs visuals," and, "it is improved by visuals."

You have a slice of pie. It doesn't *need* ice cream. But dessert might be improved by the addition!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There is a wide, wide expanse between, "it needs visuals," and, "it is improved by visuals."

You have a slice of pie. It doesn't *need* ice cream. But dessert might be improved by the addition!

Video killed the radio star. :cool: Adding video, changes the nature of the product, it is not just music, it is a music video. A slice of pie with ice cream, it is Pie à la Mode.

I wonder if it is an age thing, being 54, growing up with my formative years being before the 80s (before music videos became mainstream).

Klirshon

First Post
Response to first sequence of inquires:
It can improve/diminish the stimulation caused by the increase of content. The audio content does not change due to the addition of a visual medium.

Dioltach

Legend
I think that like many things a video gives a song added associations. Whether or not those associations improve your feelings about the song is very subjective.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases