Secrets

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Our society thrives on secrets. Polite insincerity and niceties aside, there are tons of white lies that go flying around if you have to deal with a lot of people. You can debate that all you want. That notion is based on my experience.

Ever have a secret that you'd love to shout out to the world? Something you'd love to have everyone know about? Someone's dirty laundry? But you had to hold it in because of the consequences it would have on others?
Maybe because it would ruin a friendship?
Or violate someone's trust?
Or open you up to libel or slander if you didn't directly have the evidence?

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Yes?
No?

Nope, im a pretty open guy, so i aint got no secrets. Being brutally honest with people does cause some complications however, like that time i told the wife, "yes, it does make you look kinda fat".

STIGMATADOR

Banned
Banned
No.
Then it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

But I know someone who has a secret secret...

MR. ROBOTO!!!!
styxmrroboto.jpg

ggroy

First Post
Most secrets are quite mundane and kinda boring. From personal stuff and all the way to "big" secret stuff leaked over the years via Assange/Snowden/Manning, etc ... types.

Not much to write about here.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
sabrinathecat said:
Ever have a secret that you'd love to shout out to the world? Something you'd love to have everyone know about? Someone's dirty laundry? But you had to hold it in because of the consequences it would have on others?
Maybe because it would ruin a friendship?
Or violate someone's trust?
Or open you up to libel or slander if you didn't directly have the evidence?
I don't know any secrets that I feel a need "to shout out to the world." That is, I don't feel a need to reveal any of the secrets I know. I've always been a good confidant because I don't have the gossip urge. I like knowing things, and I'll listen to gossip, but I don't tell it. <shrug> It's just not a thing to me.

The_Silversword said:
like that time i told the wife, "yes, it does make you look kinda fat".
I know this is a universal joke/truth between men and women, but my wife and I have never had this problem. My wife wouldn't so much as look at me harshly if I said something she put on didn't look good or made her look bad/fat. She would (and has) thanked me for telling her so she doesn't go out in public looking bad.

She just recently found a blog that talks about jeans, and how to avoid "mom jeans". She showed me the article and pictures, and we discussed her jeans. I pointed out one pair that doesn't look good on her, and she removed them from her drawers, to be replaced soon.

Bullgrit

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Oh come on. Everyone knows JFK shot himself in order to prevent a disastrous time-line in which he was impeached and Cuba was armed with Nukes.

I don't care for gossip either. I'm more with things like unethical business practices. Love to tell all about what this business is doing (and hopefully get it shut down). Can't.

Elf Witch

First Post
I have been told secrets and while I never felt the need to shout them to the world there were times carrying them was hard.

I believe white lies help smooth things over and makes living with other people easier. IMO being brutally honest usually goes hand in hand with being a jerk and not carrying about other people's feelings. When I ask my roommate how I look I want an honest answer and she know this. But I have had friends who love for example their new haircut, it makes them feel good and even if I think it is horrible I am not going to say that.

Remove ads