American themed parties?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Red cups are cheap at the party store and they show up on camera--that's why the movies use them.
As for the rest: looks like an international 20-something excuse to get drunk.

Dioltach

Legend
Probably as amusing as any other "themed" party is to the subjects of the theme.
As an aside, when I was a kid in the 1980s, an "American" party meant BYO.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Those pictures look about right.

Never gone a to a US-themed party, but if I were, my expectations would be somewhat akin to those pictures.

On the cups:
Yeah, I'm sure it's just a movie thing, but I've never seen those kind of cups in the wild. Only in Hollywood media.
Plastic beer cups tend to be clear and pint-sized here, with soda cups much smaller and in no particular color (white is probably the default).

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never encountered an American themed party. But then I've never encountered a French, Swiss, or Chinese themed party, either. That said, I have been to an Irish themed one, and a Viking themed one.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Red cups are cheap at the party store and they show up on camera--that's why the movies use them.
[video=youtube;BKZqGJONH68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68[/video]
If you don't know, Solo is the company/brand that makes those cups. I've seen them used commonly as disposable drink cups for as long as I can remember. And despite what the above song says, Solo cups don't easily crack; the cheap copies do easily crack. Heck, I've seen Solo cups washed and stored for use at the next party. I'm pretty sure we have some in my pantry at home.

Why not? I'm sure America has parties themed on other countries.
You sometimes hear about such parties in the news -- as examples of racism.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Red cups, crappy beer, Kentucky bourbon, popcorn, hotdogs, hamburgers, hershey kisses, pumpkin pie, apple pie, fried chicken, buffalo wings, cheerleaders, cowgirls, rednecks, valley girls, ganstaaas, preppy cardigans, stetsons, bomber jackets, Basketball shirts, baseball caps, Gridion, nra guns and loud brash middle class conservative debauchery

Hell yeah! Sounds like Theme America too me:)

(You can blame everything from Animal House to Girls Gone Wild - SpringBreak for the phenonena)

Last edited:

Why buy cups when you haves glasses? Seems a waste of money and just makes more garbage for no reason.
They are very very cheap, disposable so they require no washing up, can provide cups for a LOT more people than anyone ever has glasses. If you are more environmentally concerned then you can wash out the plastic cups too and re-use them.

As for why RED cups it's just not that mysterious. Manufacturers make a lot of them because consumers buy a lot of them in that color. Other colors are available it's just that red is more commonly chosen. It's bright, festive, blah blah blah. It has nothing to do with it showing up better on camera, it's just a natural consequence of their common use.

Remove ads