Only in America

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Totally not a thing here. They have something they call peanut butter, but it blows badly. Unbelievably sweet. Usually called peanut cream. Yuck. I blew my students minds when I gave them celery with peanut butter on it. :D

I love PB. I love celery. I have avoided combining the two my entire life, even when it was served to me in school.

In the UK, liquid drink mixes are very common but not in pocket sizes. It mostly comes in large bottles. Orange squash is the most common generic kind. I think it has existed in the UK longer than the US. A former colleague from the US drank some undiluted the first time he came to the UK as he didn't know what it was. You can get pocket-sized liquid ones (Robinsons does several flavours) but they're not super common.

Same story with powdered mixers in the UK. Common in large sizes (e.g. Nesquick) but not so common in pocket sizes.

The Japanese have powdered drink mixes in smallish sizes. My favourite is a sports drink called - don't laugh - Pocari Sweat. You can also get it hydrated in cans and bottles. The powdered and hydrated versions are also available in S. Korea and the UK (and probably the US?).

I've seen Pocari Sweat as a standard beverage Here in Texas, in Korean, Vietnamese, and Japanese groceries.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
There is a long tradition of liquid mixes here, with some ancient local brands, but it's usually in liter containers. Powdered ones usually come in smaller sizes (although you generally buy half a dozen together), except Nesquick (which is by far the biggest brand, everybody of my generation grew up on the stuff).

Remove ads